Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Filip Johansson to ELC

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Actually, walking away from your first round draft pick without even offering him a contract is pretty rare in the NHL.

I mean the Wild originally thought enough of him to draft him 24th overall in the 2018 entry draft. And he's a relatively rare right-shooting d-man to boot.

From a PR standpoint, it would seem like signing your first rounder and assigning him to the AHL is a far safer route. Then if he flops, you can walk away and nobody would question it.

Not sure what happened, but clearly the Wild thought he'd never develop or be able to help them. So very low risk and potential higher reward for the Canucks.

It is rare but it happens. For what it’s worth, the Wild do get a very late 2nd for not signing him.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

excitement for this kid is growing, he is putting up phenomenal numbers for a 22 year old in the SHL. This is basically like Canucks drafting Hughes and Johansson in the first round of 2018.

SHL (21/22 Playoffs) - 5G 2A 7PTS in 9GP
SHL - 1G 4A 5PTS in 8GP
CHL - 2G 4A 6PTS in 6GP
Last 23GP - 8G 10A 18PTS
Impressive stuff

Also, here's another angle on the goal

Reactions: E D and Lindgren

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
SHL (21/22 Playoffs) - 5G 2A 7PTS in 9GP
SHL - 1G 4A 5PTS in 8GP
CHL - 2G 4A 6PTS in 6GP
Last 23GP - 8G 10A 18PTS
Impressive stuff

Also, here's another angle on the goal

That's a crazy accurate wrister from the point. Guy can put up goals and get the puck on net, something our D can't do, so if he can continue playing at this level, he'll be a huge add to our right side next year

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It is rare but it happens. For what it’s worth, the Wild do get a very late 2nd for not signing him.

That does change things...any other draft pick and you might as well sign him if there's any hope he turns into anything as the alternative is to have nothing to show for it, but with a 1st rounder you have to weigh signing the pick versus getting a do-over at a 2nd. Even if it's a low second, a 2nd isn't nothing so if the upside of your former 1st rounder isn't looking like what you might get for a 2nd it's something to think about.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I really like him.. got to watch about two periods today of his game, i love his mobility and lateral skating

I really liked how he jumps up in the o zone to give passing options and i liked how he angled guys in his zone.. game built on movement..

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Isn't that basically what we would have done with Juolevi if he couldn't have been traded?
Juolevi was drafted out of the OHL. So different timeline for him I believe. 2 years until 2018 draft to get signed for chlers. Assuming that he counted as one which you can’t ever say for certain when Europeans go over. Think it was the Dallas kid in 2014 who got to play in the A as a teen because he was ruled a European. It was based on the agreement he signed with the chl when he came over. Different designation when it came to the draft.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every once and awhile the switch goes on, and a player starts to live up his potential.

Markus Naslund was kind of a meh player in Pittsburgh after they made him a high draft pick. And he wasn't all that spectacular in his first season or two in VanCity, playing under Iron Mike Keenan. But suddenly all that latent talent started to finally bubble to the surface and he became one of the best Canuck forwards ever.

Not saying that Johannson will be the blueline version of Markus Naslund.....but the bottom line is that sometimes teams just give up on players too early.

Reactions: MarkMM and sting101

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Wouldn't that be something if he comes into camp next year and makes it as a Top 6 RHD

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Every once and awhile the switch goes on, and a player starts to live up his potential.

Markus Naslund was kind of a meh player in Pittsburgh after they made him a high draft pick. And he wasn't all that spectacular in his first season or two in VanCity, playing under Iron Mike Keenan. But suddenly all that latent talent started to finally bubble to the surface and he became one of the best Canuck forwards ever.

Not saying that Johannson will be the blueline version of Markus Naslund.....but the bottom line is that sometimes teams just give up on players too early.

I 100% agree with your take.

I too do feel we signed the next coming of Nicklas Lidstrom.

Reactions: Love

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That does change things...any other draft pick and you might as well sign him if there's any hope he turns into anything as the alternative is to have nothing to show for it, but with a 1st rounder you have to weigh signing the pick versus getting a do-over at a 2nd. Even if it's a low second, a 2nd isn't nothing so if the upside of your former 1st rounder isn't looking like what you might get for a 2nd it's something to think about.

Yep we did that with the Rucinsky trade (Umberger) and Ehrhoff trade (Patrick White).

Remove that and it still is an interesting decision though. On the one hand, you've had 4 years to get a good look at the guy and contract slots have some value. On the other hand, it doesn't seem much of a commitment - you sign him to a 2 year ELC and he's spending another year in Sweden so he really costs you only a contract slot and you maybe bring him over for one year to see if he sinks or swim.

Reactions: MarkMM

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Other than being RH, he reminds me a fair bit of Jake Bean, especially with the ability to get accurate wristers through shooting lanes dangerously.
I don't know much about the guy but he (FJ) seems like he's pretty solid defensively as well. Uses his stick, smarts, and mobility to play solid defense as opposed to being a physical force back there.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If Johansson didn’t start producing this season it would mean there’s no realistic shot of him ever having NHL potential. This is his 3rd full season on the SweHL.

Would be a very cool feather in this team’s cap if both Aman and Johansson can produce. These castoffs usually don’t amount to anything.

Reactions: MarkMM and Lindgren

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
wasn't one of the reasons the wild didn't sign him because he won't come over and play in the AHL?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's a crazy accurate wrister from the point. Guy can put up goals and get the puck on net, something our D can't do, so if he can continue playing at this level, he'll be a huge add to our right side next year

Hughes and OEL have accurate wristers. I'm not seeing anything overpowering from Johansson.

OEL isn't what he was in his prime but he's top 10 among active Dmen in career goals in the regular season and top 5 if you only include active Dmen born in 1990 or later. He also has a career shooting percentage of 7%.

Hughes has scored 8 goals twice which is solid goal production for a Dman not known for his shot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to give some props to Allvin and the Canucks Swedish scouts here.

They scooped up Nils Aman after the Av's drafted him and then declined to sign him. And all he did was come in as a 22-year old and nail down the fourth line center spot at the expense of Dickinson.

And Johansson was a free asset courtesy of the Wild. A rare right-shot d-man, who looks to have offense and creativity in his game. I mean how can you go wrong at the expense of a two-year ELC, that doesn't kick in until he actually arrives in NA?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
1st Period - Johansson just doing his thing in the first period - Moving/breaking out the puck effectively, QBing on the PP (picked up a nice primary assist), and playing solid defense. Finished the period with 1A and a +1 rating in a team high 7:55TOI.

2nd Period - More of the same from the 1st. Frolunda feels more dangerous with Johansson on the ice, and seem to win the possession battle regularly. A positive note - Johansson seems to have taken advantage his opportunity to PK while Folin was injured, and turned it into a fulltime spot on the 2nd PK unit (and looked good doing it!). 2nd period stats - 1 shot on 2 attempts in 7:38TOI (15:33 overall).

3rd Period - Sigh. Johansson was good again to start the period, but wouldn't last long. He blocked a shot off the inside of his right ankle, was down in serious pain, and hobbled off the ice. He stayed on the bench, but from I saw he was in real distress. Johansson didn't see another shift, so hopefully he's alright :(. 3rd period stats - 2 shots in 1:42TOI

Game stats - 1A 3SOG and a +1 rating in 17:20TOI

*will update post each period* *done*

Last edited:
Reactions: iceburg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad