Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Olli Juolevi to a 3-year ELC

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
what took so long?

Here's the real answer:

------------------

It sounds like, with entry-level deals for top-end guys, that basically it comes down to the bonus structure. Is that an accurate assessment?

Yeah, I would say that. If you look back on the last five years, the top-five picks or (sometimes) the first defensemen taken in the draft, they're looking for the A and some of the B bonuses. That's what it takes to get a deal done with these top-end guys.

Where A bonuses are stats-based (bonuses are earned if he hits performance targets such as a certain number of goals or TOI, etcetera), and B bonuses are based on performance relative to the league (i.e., Juolevi triggers B bonuses if he wins (or earns consideration for?) any kind of league hardware)

[sup]Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong[/sup]

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'm optimistic...Canucks seem to have decent luck with Finnish players, especially d-men....Lumme and Salo were two of the best in franchise history..in fact I'm having trouble remembering if they've every really signed a 'bad' player from Finland...Skriko and Ruutu were pretty decent, relative to where they were drafted...have a good feeling about Juloevi.:handclap:
mika noronen coulda been something for us, but crawford

cyber_ecco

Aug 2, 2005
Tommi Santala. All I remember of him was he was really good at faceoffs. LOL

Sorry...didn't see someone mentioned him already. :handclap: How about Mikko Jokela? Don't even remember what happened with him.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
How does that make sense? He's contractually obligated to play for a team who doesn't pay him? **** that.

No, he doesn't have to play for them. He can just go home and watch TV or get a job at McDonalds.

But it's the only hockey team he can play for other than the Canucks as per the NHL-CHL agreement.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Completely agree. There's no point to making him play a smaller role in Finland on different ice.

If Juolevi is as good of a prospect as we should expect him to be, I don't see any reason for him to be playing a small role over in Europe. Jacob Larsson and Gabriel Carlsson had no problem playing in the SHL last year and they were much later first rounders than Juolevi.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Watching the summer showcase, Finding a d-man on either side (canada/USA) who can skate, pass and trransition out of the d-zone so far is nearly impossible.

Makes me happier about the Olli pick, my god.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If Juolevi is as good of a prospect as we should expect him to be, I don't see any reason for him to be playing a small role over in Europe. Jacob Larsson and Gabriel Carlsson had no problem playing in the SHL last year and they were much later first rounders than Juolevi.

Does "having no problem" mean they had big roles? Or just that they adapted well?

Honest question since I don't follow them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Juolevi would be king in Finland and probably given a shot with Finlands mens team.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Watching the summer showcase, Finding a d-man on either side (canada/USA) who can skate, pass and trransition out of the d-zone so far is nearly impossible.

Makes me happier about the Olli pick, my god.

Agree here. I'm feeling more and more positive about the pick and I was fairly positive from the moment it happened. I keep thinking there must be a reason why I wasn't smashing my TV when Benning picked him over Tkachuk and I'm pretty sure it's because deep down I know how critical a player like Juolevi is. We need him.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Do people seriously not think he has a chance to make the team. Sbisa is his rival.

Juolevi Tryamkin as a third pairing, Benning would be like

"I am awesome and I don't care what anyone thinks"

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Do people seriously not think he has a chance to make the team. Sbisa is his rival.

I think there's a chance but I really don't see it happening and that wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That is some ********. The CHL should be abolished.

It should? Wouldn't that be bad for kids like Juolevi? I mean, he willingly chose to fly half way around the world just to play there.

Do you think abolishing the CHL would serve his interests?

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus

Could doesn't mean he should. Kid needs 15lbs of beef in the worst way. Would hate to seem him get stapled Tanev style and miss a few. No rush. Our 5-7 guys are adequate with potential for improvement given their age.

Even Lidstrom waited until he was 21.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It should? Wouldn't that be bad for kids like Juolevi? I mean, he willingly chose to fly half way around the world just to play there.

Do you think abolishing the CHL would serve his interests?

Well I think perhaps he was really meaning the NHL chl rules should be chopped. Having to play Virtanen in the NHL or send him back to juniors rather than send him to the ahl last year was a giant pain in the ass.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Well I think perhaps he was really meaning the NHL chl rules should be chopped. Having to play Virtanen in the NHL or send him back to juniors rather than send him to the ahl last year was a giant pain in the ass.

Maybe one day an NHL team can appoint exceptional status to one prospect and get him to the AHL early. Have a limit on it to keep the CHL with some of its stars but sometimes best should be done by the player and not the league.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Maybe, but he seemed rather bothered that the CHL should "dare" to create an agreement that serves their interests. I mean, it's not like Juolevi was forced into signing with London, he could have easily stayed in Finland and developed there. But he freely chose to play in the CHL and benefit from their league and facilities in helping him develop and become a future millionaire. He also would have been aware of the limitations it placed on him thereafter. So I have trouble feeling too much pity for him or indignant rage at the CHL. They have a right to make such rules, if you don't like them then don't sign there. Pretty easy to avoid it then.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

It can be a pain in the ass from time to time...but you have to look at it from the CHL side of things. They can't afford to be losing the best players every year to the AHL because teams are in a big rush to "develop" everyone. Not only is it bad for the CHL itself in a revenue and entertainment sense...it would also severely degrade the developmental value of the single biggest feeder league for the NHL, by skimming out the top of the talent pool every year, diluting the level of competition.

Plus, in the end, i don't even think Juolevi is really a strong case against it like Virtanen was.

Virtanen was a big kid who was physically prepared to play against men. He was physically ready to make that next step. Even then, i think there's still a reasonable argument that he would've been better off heading back to Juniors for another year - especially if it had been a top notch developmental organization like the London Knights instead of the Calgary Hitmen.

Whereas Juolevi...it's the physical maturity aspect that looks like the biggest obstacle right now. Even if he could be sent to the AHL...it's still a Professional hockey meatgrinder against a lot of grown men. He'd still be badly outmatched physically in the AHL right now, and exposed to risk in that.

It really doesn't hurt a prospect to go back to one of the best developmental junior hockey programs in the world for a year after their draft. Especially for a physically underdeveloped defenceman. It's actually a pretty terrific situation for him...great coaching, opportunity for expanded role and responsibility, and plenty of opportunity to really focus on continuing to get himself physically prepared for a jump to Pro hockey...rather than just trying to survive the grind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad