Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign G Richard Bachman to 1-Year Deal (Two-Way)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well.. there's our expansion eligible goalie. That's done.

So glad he was willing to stay knowing Demko is here. Bet his AHL salary is at least a juicy one... for his sake.. Solid solider.

Good to have the expansion thing pretty well squared away...barring something strange happening, like him not clearing waivers or whatever. Don't see any reason he wouldn't clear though.

For Bachman, it's nice security and a good salary to play in the AHL...even if he's splitting time with Demko over those years.

The other bonus for him is that if there happens to be a goaltender injury in Vancouver...Bachman almost surely gets the call-up before Demko, who they're going to want to keep in the AHL getting games, rather than sitting at the end of the bench most nights. For the next couple years at least. A little NHL call-up carrot for a journeyman depth goaltender isn't too shabby. He's also presumably already set up nicely in Utica...not having to bother with uprooting and starting over again somewhere else is probably attractive for a guy who has bounced around quite a bit in his career.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Good to have the expansion thing pretty well squared away...barring something strange happening, like him not clearing waivers or whatever. Don't see any reason he wouldn't clear though.

For Bachman, it's nice security and a good salary to play in the AHL...even if he's splitting time with Demko over those years.

The other bonus for him is that if there happens to be a goaltender injury in Vancouver...Bachman almost surely gets the call-up before Demko, who they're going to want to keep in the AHL getting games, rather than sitting at the end of the bench most nights. For the next couple years at least. A little NHL call-up carrot for a journeyman depth goaltender isn't too shabby. He's also presumably already set up nicely in Utica...not having to bother with uprooting and starting over again somewhere else is probably attractive for a guy who has bounced around quite a bit in his career.

Considering him getting picked up on waivers would require him remaining on an NHL roster, the concern should be be minimal.

HarvP19

Nov 19, 2014
I think the one thing we missed here is that bachman is still a serviceable backup goalie. When Miller is gone for the 17-18 season he will be the backup behind markstrom. Also Gartieg will be Demkos backup 17-18 ahl season. The other thing is in this season, bachman will be first to be called up in case of injury. Letting Demko play a good chunk of games in the A is key for his development. Basically he will be the guy coming up down letting Demko focus on grinding games in the A.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No chance Benning goes with Bachman as the backup to an unproven starter in 17-18.

Agreed. Bachman can easily be loaned to another AHL team (especially if the Canucks are willing to pay his salary).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
At least the poster didn't call him Pokemon like the Wings twitter feed called Pulkinnen.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It was the obvious solution to the expansion draft issue, so I'm glad they got it taken care of. I still don't understand how the local media for the most part couldn't wrap their heads around this one, coming up with scenarios where the Canucks would have to trade for a goaltender next year or something weird like that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think the one thing we missed here is that bachman is still a serviceable backup goalie. When Miller is gone for the 17-18 season he will be the backup behind markstrom. Also Gartieg will be Demkos backup 17-18 ahl season. The other thing is in this season, bachman will be first to be called up in case of injury. Letting Demko play a good chunk of games in the A is key for his development. Basically he will be the guy coming up down letting Demko focus on grinding games in the A.

I certainly hope not. I think the team is going to have to dip into the Free Agent market for a strong stopgap backup goaltender while Markstrom takes over. He'll likely be taking over some extra starts this year, but 2017-18 is still going to be Markstrom's first year as a true, undisputed "starter" (if things go well). That's where you still want a highly capable backup at the very least, if not a capable #1b type (of which there may be a few on the UFA market that summer).

I wouldn't even want Bachman as the backup here even if we did have a proven workhorse stud #1 goaltender for that season. Much less with a relatively unproven guy like Markstrom. I mean, Bachman might be a serviceable NHL backup in the sense that when we had Luongo in his prime, he'd play 90% of the season and it really didn't matter that a Curtis Sanford or Danny Sabourin was our backup. They were basically just there to cover Lou's potty breaks.

But that's about the absolute farthest i'd consider Bachman a "serviceable" NHL backup.

Roland was my goof. Whoops. :laugh:

And here i thought it was some sort of clever Rollie Melanson joke that was going completely over my head. :laugh:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I hope if we have a goalie go down next year, Demko comes up. He will appreciate the paychecks, and give him a game or two to see how he does.

and lets wait to see how is AHL season goes before we jump up and down about having to bring in an experienced backup.

Is this likely? No. But if Demko is going to be a great goaltender, then he should be an adequate one as a backup for a few years.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I hope if we have a goalie go down next year, Demko comes up. He will appreciate the paychecks, and give him a game or two to see how he does.

and lets wait to see how is AHL season goes before we jump up and down about having to bring in an experienced backup.

Is this likely? No. But if Demko is going to be a great goaltender, then he should be an adequate one as a backup for a few years.

When Miller goes down this season, and if history is correct he will, like last season, Bachman will be the call-up. Unless Benning loses it, if Demko is the future #1, he gets lots of AHL game action in his rookie pro season. He is likely to split games with Bachman to start out and if Demko steals the job, he'll get the majority of the starts going forward. If not the split time will continue. When someone goes down in Vancouver, Bachman goes up and Demko gets a chance to carry the load under pressure and gains another chance to take the #1. He will not be the confirmed #1 entering the season no matter what some people think should happen down on the farm.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
When Miller goes down this season, and if history is correct he will, like last season, Bachman will be the call-up. Unless Benning loses it, if Demko is the future #1, he gets lots of AHL game action in his rookie pro season. He is likely to split games with Bachman to start out and if Demko steals the job, he'll get the majority of the starts going forward. If not the split time will continue. When someone goes down in Vancouver, Bachman goes up and Demko gets a chance to carry the load under pressure and gains another chance to take the #1. He will not be the confirmed #1 entering the season no matter what some people think should happen down on the farm.
For me it would depend on two things

1) Demko playing well.
2) short term injury.

I'd be fine if they carried him up for a game of two in relief (played him) during minor injury/other but if Miller goes down for a month you don't want Demko sitting on the bench while Markstrom plays 8-10 straight games.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

The point isn't whether Demko could come up and sit on the bench for a few games...it's about whether or not he should. With Demko, the priority is long-term development. Which is where, getting as much experience as possible has to be the emphasis. Which means keeping him in the AHL to play...while Bachman rides the pine in the bigs.

You just don't want to rush goaltenders of all things. We'll see how Demko adjusts, but the NCAA to Pro transition can be a big one. There's just no need to risk pushing him too far, too fast. We've got plenty of time with Demko, to let him get acclimatized to the pro game and a pro schedule. He's still just 20 years old...

Being a good goaltender in the long-term really isn't strictly tied to immediately transitioning from NCAA to being a capable NHL backup right away, as a rookie Pro.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The point isn't whether Demko could come up and sit on the bench for a few games...it's about whether or not he should. With Demko, the priority is long-term development. Which is where, getting as much experience as possible has to be the emphasis. Which means keeping him in the AHL to play...while Bachman rides the pine in the bigs.

You just don't want to rush goaltenders of all things. We'll see how Demko adjusts, but the NCAA to Pro transition can be a big one. There's just no need to risk pushing him too far, too fast. We've got plenty of time with Demko, to let him get acclimatized to the pro game and a pro schedule. He's still just 20 years old...

Being a good goaltender in the long-term really isn't strictly tied to immediately transitioning from NCAA to being a capable NHL backup right away, as a rookie Pro.

So many want to rush the gleaming new toys. Goalies don't usually make the jump too quickly. The Canadiens went with their promising new AHL kid when Price went down and it didn't go so well.

Don't be surprised if Fleury takes the reins in Boston once again and Murray goes back to the AHL to start the season so he gets steady ice time. He spent his first pro season in the AHL splitting time and was never called up and he played 31 there last season and only 13 in Pittsburgh. Zatkoff got more games than Murray. If Marc-Andre has any problems long term look for Murray, but Zatkof is still in the picture. He may also be brought up to rest Fleury in back to backs when both teams are home. Murray is probably the protected goalie in the expansion draft. Murray is an exception to young pro goalies and he still didn't do any NHL time in his rookie season.

Don't bring up Jones. He's 26 and spent the better part of 3 and 1/2 seasons in the AHL before the Kings used him as a backup and then San Jose played him as the #1 in his 6th season. This is the more common path.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Zatkoff signed with LA awhile ago.

It would be shocking if any team ever sent a SC winning goalie to the A the following season, heh heh..

I get your logic.. but that would never happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad