Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Vasily Podkolzin to 2-Year, 1-Way Contract ($1M AAV)

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Podkolzin is the probably the first young, 'cheap replacement' player from Abbotsford, who'll grace the Canucks lineup next season.

I think Bains, Sasson and Karlsson will be given long looks for bottom-six roles as well. Unfortunately the situation isn't as clear-cut on the blueline, where only McWard is likely the only candidate.
would be a god send if dPetey crushes it and earns a callup after half a season in the A.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Said this for many years, it seems that Russian forwards need to stay in Russia to develop until they are 23/24. Those talented group of forwards drafted high in the first round that came early have all disappointed (Gurianov, Denisenko, Kravtsov, and Pods).
The Russian system majorly screwed Pod over. His D+1 in Russia getting no minutes, healthy scratched and bounced between three different leagues was the worst possible environment for a prospect to develop.

Maybe it was all coercion and revenge for not signing an extension that would have kept him there and they'd have treated him properly if he did but every minute in Russia after his draft was a disaster for Pod.

Reactions: Chiripa20

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I'm not expecting Podkolzin to break out as an offensive star but I think he's got much more to offer offensively than he's shown this season. In his rookie year he looked like a 20 goal guy near the end of the year. And I remember him holding the puck along the wall and hitting guys with passes. It's clear this guy has fragile confidence, but that can be turned around.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Didn't Pods suffer a concussion in Abby a year ago? I'm on board with being patient, given his age.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
the contract is fine but i hope the team moves on from him asap. he's just a big blank spot in the lineup (along with aman who they also need to move on from)
there is literally no reason to move off of him. his 1M contract can be buried and doesn't affect the cap. he likely has zero trade value and won't get you anything back. at worst we have him playing on the 4th line and he is good defensively and a good forechecker so you won't have to worry about him being a liability and the delta between him and a min wage guy is only like 150k and there is still potential that he can contribute and move up the lineup.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
there is literally no reason to move off of him. his 1M contract can be buried and doesn't affect the cap. he likely has zero trade value and won't get you anything back. at worst we have him playing on the 4th line and he is good defensively and a good forechecker so you won't have to worry about him being a liability and the delta between him and a min wage guy is only like 150k and there is still potential that he can contribute and move up the lineup.

i don't mean trade him or buy him out. i just don't want to see him in the lineup

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Super happy with the contract, I think he has a Hoglander like season next year (a touch kess
Impressive numbers but also more physical)

Seems fair, I think it's unfair to expect him to be Hog 2.0 though, I don't think he has the same level of confidence offensively that Hog has
Wait until next year and he will. I bet he gets 20 goals(ish)

Reactions: mathonwy

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
i don't mean trade him or buy him out. i just don't want to see him in the lineup
He’s going to get the Hog development plan and start on the 4th line. The only way for him to be not in the lineup is if he plays himself off of it and in that case he would be waived and somebody would claim him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Exactly as expected. The "Hoglander Special" contract. For a young player with upside, that's had some bumpy up and down, steps forward and steps back sort of development.

We'll see if lightning strikes twice. Doubtful. But worst case, they've got what looks like a serviceable NHL depth player for $1M. Easy enough to basically bury if it comes to that. But also an easily moveable deal as a "reclamation project with draft pedigree" for someone as a worst case.

But there's upside if he starts to get more comfortable and can even just give them solid two-way play, some size, physicality, and energy...and chip in even just 15G or so at that price. Given all the other big expenditures on the docket for the next couple years (including the OEL buyout). Those are going to put a lot of pressure on them to continue staffing bottom-6/9 roles with cheap players that have some upside.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I like to see some more Pod-goals-in but at that AAV it's impossible to hate this deal. Even with his current lack of offense he's got traits that could see him stick as a 4th line energy guy, if he ever gets back to a 15g pace he's the type of guy teams salivate at having in their bottom-6. This is a no risk move.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Geez be nice if he could break out next season. Getting a bona vide NHLer who could can pot maybe 10 -15 goals would be huge. Give you some great use of cap space.

Important off season for Podz - really has to make break through soon and does seem to have enough talent to have hope, at least, that this is possible.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Geez be nice if he could break out next season. Getting a bona vide NHLer who could can pot maybe 10 -15 goals would be huge. Give you some great use of cap space.

Important off season for Podz - really has to make break through soon and does seem to have enough talent to have hope, at least, that this is possible.
Having Hog and pod giving us like 40 goals for like 2.5M total would be awesome

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i wonder if tocchet can unlock something in him, the way tocchet himself jumped from being a pure goon to a forechecker with a scoring touch at the same age

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
the contract is fine but i hope the team moves on from him asap. he's just a big blank spot in the lineup (along with aman who they also need to move on from)
He wins a ton of board battles, comes out with the puck way more times than not, and is also one of the only guys on this team that hits. Take him away and the only punishing forwards you've got are Joshua and Miller. Lafferty when he's dialled in. You need guys like Podz to get in and retrieve pucks. He's also got a big motor.
I think his offence will come in time. For 1M you really can't go wrong.

Reactions: sting101

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Happy with this. His floor is a 4th liner with high work rate and +physicality. He still has upside as he has a good shot and hands. If he can process the game a little better with experience he could become a very useful piece.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Didn't Pods suffer a concussion in Abby a year ago? I'm on board with being patient, given his age.
Yes....he was one the receiving end of a cheap shot from Colorado Eagles, knuckle-dragger Keaton Middleton and hit his head on the ice, and appeared to suffer convulsions.

He was carted off on a gurney and missed at least three weeks as I recall, Undoubtedly the forced absence cost him dearly in terms of his AHL point totals.

But he did score 14 goals as an NHL rookie....and did have 15 goals in 44 games with Abbotsford this year. So he's not entirely devoid of offense.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
He has two years to find his scoring touch or I think we will be moving on from this player.

Like the effort from him but need more than a person who plays hard. He needs to start scoring, period.
I think with all the players who are UFAs its great to have a guy at near league minimum who will provide decent support. Scoring would be nice, and I think he will, but he provides a very valuable place in the line up either way.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think with all the players who are UFAs its great to have a guy at near league minimum who will provide decent support. Scoring would be nice, and I think he will, but he provides a very valuable place in the line up either way.

Yes. Pods will be in his physical prime. He's not likely to play with more energy and physicality.

Also, those 2 year bridge contracts tend to be excellent value. Heck, we got good value out of Virtanen's bridge.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
A lot of mental hurdles and inexperience for Podkolzin this past year that are important to remember when evaluating his season.

Becoming a father at a very young age, lettting internal pressure and nerves get the best of him at training camp and then a really severe concussion.

Have little doubt that as he matures he becomes a important player for the team even if that just remains as a btm 6 player

Contract is what i expected and a welcome addition on the cheap. Need these kinds of organizational foot soldiers.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
A lot of mental hurdles and inexperience for Podkolzin this past year that are important to remember when evaluating his season.

Becoming a father at a very young age, lettting internal pressure and nerves get the best of him at training camp and then a really severe concussion.

Have little doubt that as he matures he becomes a important player for the team even if that just remains as a btm 6 player

Contract is what i expected and a welcome addition on the cheap. Need these kinds of organizational foot soldiers.

Yeah, I really can't wrap my head around the idea that for some reason the team has to walk away from this player unless he somehow starts putting up lots of points. I don't think he's an 8 point player, but I also don't know that I see it with him to be a huge producer.

Like, even if a player straight up didn't even have arms, though, 1M still isn't even an especially outlandish price so long as they run into dudes a lot, keep their feet moving, support the puck, pressure the opposition all over the ice, and win board battles.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yes. Pods will be in his physical prime. He's not likely to play with more energy and physicality.

Also, those 2 year bridge contracts tend to be excellent value. Heck, we got good value out of Virtanen's bridge.
I think he is in his stamina and recovery prime. He can get stronger and faster still.

Quick google result shows for man, strength prime is between 26-35. Stamina declines around 35.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad