Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign F Vasily Podkolzin to 2-Year, 1-Way Contract ($1M AAV)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
No issues with this. You need cheap, home grown bottom of the lineup depth. Still has some upside but I don't think we're ever going to see anything more than a bottom 3 or 6 forward.

afrocentric

Apr 29, 2010
added this to the player discussion thread:

Agreed to a 2 year extension. Pretty happy about this, while he hasn't shown his offensive upside, he can play like a bowling ball and plays hard, we need more players that play this type of game, hopefully his offensive side really starts to develop.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Wouldn’t have supported this deal earlier this season, but he’s shown enough here that he understands his role in terms of positioning and how to be somewhat of a deterrent on the fourth line. Direct and physical. So even if that’s what he stays as, he’s a well liked guy who will play to his contract value.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
He has two years to find his scoring touch or I think we will be moving on from this player.

Like the effort from him but need more than a person who plays hard. He needs to start scoring, period.

Reactions: LordBacon and DFAC

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He has two years to find his scoring touch or I think we will be moving on from this player.

Like the effort from him but need more than a person who plays hard. He needs to start scoring, period.
Only need him to start scoring if you hold out hope for him to be a top 6. I think he is what he is. A bottom of the lineup player essentially making the minimum.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Only need him to start scoring if you hold out hope for him to be a top 6. I think he is what he is. A bottom of the lineup player essentially making the minimum.
Sorry, I should have explained further. No expectations for him to be 60-70-80 point guy.

Would be very happy with a 15-15 or 15-20 season from him

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Going to be extremely smug about the most obvious thing and claim I called this. Nearly the exact same structure as the Hoglander extension last summer.

I've kind of resigned myself to him being a 3rd/4th liner at this point - but at least he's playing like an effective one.

If he manages to fulfill even a bit more of his potential - hell, even get back to where he was in his rookie season scoring 14 goals - he'll be a valuable piece, and at least not an altogether bust/washout.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Similar to what they did with Hoglander - a 2 year deal keeps him in the fold and I like what I've seen.

I'm guessing $950,000 to $1,050,000 per year.
Even cheaper

Feels like the pressure to perform to stay in the league was a bit too much for him and hopefully having some security would help him relax a bit and give him some confidence.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
No issues with this. You need cheap, home grown bottom of the lineup depth. Still has some upside but I don't think we're ever going to see anything more than a bottom 3 or 6 forward.

I am just hoping he turns out to be a Jannik Hansen-like player. He can chip in offensively as we witnessed during his first season but a high IQ defensive player that can be a shit disturber is not a bad downside.

Reactions: Indiana

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
being greedy - an extra year would've been nice, but this is pretty standard.

hope he can have a hoglander like breakout next year.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Overjoyed. Still think he has some potential, and happy that he is here and no chance of going back to Russia. He will be set for life with this contract whatever happens (assuming it doesn't all go up his nose or lost in gambling, this is more money than I made in my 30 year professional career). I like his personality.

• Love

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Wasn't that long ago that he looked primed to break out after his rookie season. Maybe that breakout never happens but all he has to do is play like he already did at the end of his first year and he's a good career third liner.

Glad we got the 2nd year, wish we pushed for a 3rd.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Seems fair, I think it's unfair to expect him to be Hog 2.0 though, I don't think he has the same level of confidence offensively that Hog has

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Seems fair, I think it's unfair to expect him to be Hog 2.0 though, I don't think he has the same level of confidence offensively that Hog has

Podkolzin and Hoglander haven't had massively different production profiles in the AHL over recent sample. Podkolzin 0.64 PPG versus Hoglander's 0.72 PPG, so effectively a 52-point versus 60-point pace.

Podz hasn't flashed nearly like Hoglander did early in the NHL, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad