Rumor: Canucks 'poking around' on Evan Rodrigues and 'in the mix' for Calvin de Haan

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
CDH has nothing left in tank

He has been horrendous the last 2 years and was easily the worst Hawk player over that span which say a lot since Eric Gustafson also was Hawk defender last year

CDH drags down everyone he plays with
Calvin De Haan might not have much left in the tank and he might not be as good of a skater as he once was but De Haan is still one of the best shot blockers in the NHL.

De Haan was tied for 3rd last season in blocked shots with just under 19 minutes ATOI last season and probably wouldn’t be a bad option for a team looking for a 3rd pairing veteran depth defender on the cheap.

The biggest discrepancy I can see with De Haan is his giveaways, as that part of his game he needs to clean up since that was a major downfall of his game last season. De Haan’s possession quality was -4.7 which was way down from his previous years numbers.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Ferland is a permanent resident of LTIR Island and Poolman appears to be LTIR bound so they have some wriggle-room.

If they are smart they re-sign JT Miller, trade Garland for a RHD and sign Rodrigues to backfill.

Not sure who's taking Garland given the Bjorkstrand return and the current flat cap environment. I think they need to keep him for 2 years until the cap starts going up before they move him.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
E rod will get something done. Probably one or two years at a modest cap hit. As far as where he lands ??? Seems there are some rumors around Colorado, but Detroit and Dallas might have some interest.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The league clearly sees a regression in DeHaan
Didn’t get a late pick at the deadline
Hes signing cheap

Rodrigues had a hot streak and wants too much money so same deal he’s getting like 2 million tops

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
They're both solid pieces, would make pretty ideal signings. Either they help the team in the playoffs or you get assets for them at the deadline.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not sure who's taking Garland given the Bjorkstrand return and the current flat cap environment. I think they need to keep him for 2 years until the cap starts going up before they move him.
Would depend on the salary coming back. If there’s a team out there with an extra d-man to move in the $3-4M salary range, that could be an even hockey trade type deal that could interest Vancouver.

Obviously dumping contracts outright at this point isn’t an option.

Reactions: jmelm

Messien

Mar 11, 2013
You're missing the key theme of this off-season, cap space itself is a tremendously valuable asset even more so than in previous years due to the flat cap environment. CBJ moved Bjork for cap space + picks taking no cap assets in return; the cap space was the most valuable piece in return.

In the Garland trade discussed, if the Canucks were to take back cap space, for example in the form of an RHD or other piece, Garland's "value" is much higher because there is an exchange of cap space. This also allows for a much larger market of trade partners as there are a lot more teams who are up near the cap limit. The same would apply if CBJ took cap space back in the Bjork trade they certainly would have received more "value" but that wasn't the purpose of their trade.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I want the Canucks to secure a defensive center, pk depth winger (Motte come back), and improve defense all around (W for D deal). This doesn’t fit the bill.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
The league clearly sees a regression in DeHaan
Didn’t get a late pick at the deadline
Hes signing cheap

Rodrigues had a hot streak and wants too much money so same deal he’s getting like 2 million tops
Evan Rodrigues started out the first half of the season good but I wouldn’t call it a hot streak, I’d call it more or any injury replacement with more ice time since Pittsburgh didn’t have Malkin, Rust and Zucker in their lineups due to injuries at certain times throughout last season.

The numbers even show it. When Malkin was out of the lineup Rodrigues got more ice time and put up more points when Malkin came back into the lineup Rodrigues got pushed back down to the bottom 6.

When Malkin came back on Jan 11th, Rodrigues only had 13 points from Jan 11th to the end of the regular season, that’s 48 games.

Rodrigues is a decent bottom 6 player and isn’t a bad injury replacement player for a short period of time in a top 6 but is more suited to a bottom 6 role.

Reactions: VaporTrail

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You're missing the key theme of this off-season, cap space itself is a tremendously valuable asset even more so than in previous years due to the flat cap environment. CBJ moved Bjork for cap space + picks taking no cap assets in return; the cap space was the most valuable piece in return.

In the Garland trade discussed, if the Canucks were to take back cap space, for example in the form of an RHD or other piece, Garland's "value" is much higher because there is an exchange of cap space. This also allows for a much larger market of trade partners as there are a lot more teams who are up near the cap limit. The same would apply if CBJ took cap space back in the Bjork trade they certainly would have received more "value" but that wasn't the purpose of their trade.

I'm not missing anything. I fully understand the concept of cap space, opportunity cost, etc.

But if the Canucks aren't in tank mode, what bad $5M player are they taking back to neutralize the cap implications such that VAN gets good value for Garland? I don't see them taking a bad or even mediocre player to even out the cap in order to bring up the Garland value. I think they want to improve their roster so....

You're talking about a straight hockey trade of Garland for Player X (or players X and Y). What team is giving up player(s) of similar salary to Garland that would be a good hockey trade for both teams and actually improve VAN's (and the other team's) roster? Perhaps there's a fit out there but I don't see it.

And as much as taking back cap may bring up the value, teams still have to ask themselves if they want to allocate $5M for a middle 6 complementary winger. If the cap was still going up ~$5M per year and we were in "normal" times, I think there would be a lot of interest in Garland, including on VAN's part to keep him.

But there's still opportunity cost to having a player who makes that much and for that term in today's flat cap environment. And that is why I said I think the best move would be for VAN to keep him for another 2 years until the cap starts to go up and there would be more interest & flexibility around the league.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Genuinely surprised no one has sign Rodrigues yet, unless him and his agent are asking for way too much.

But also, he can play center, no? If so, then it makes sense that Vancouver would sign him since they need a 3C.

This was his first big season after an otherwise OK career. Plus, he cooled off down the stretch.

Eric J Rose

Aug 20, 2021
I’m not surprised erod still available, he had a great first 35 games or so but tailed off from there, contract year or not

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Usually not much goes well when poking around takes place! I hope Evan is Ok, and can recover before preseason.

Messien

Mar 11, 2013
I'm not missing anything. I fully understand the concept of cap space, opportunity cost, etc.

But if the Canucks aren't in tank mode, what bad $5M player are they taking back to neutralize the cap implications such that VAN gets good value for Garland? I don't see them taking a bad or even mediocre player to even out the cap in order to bring up the Garland value. I think they want to improve their roster so....

You're talking about a straight hockey trade of Garland for Player X (or players X and Y). What team is giving up player(s) of similar salary to Garland that would be a good hockey trade for both teams and actually improve VAN's (and the other team's) roster? Perhaps there's a fit out there but I don't see it.

And as much as taking back cap may bring up the value, teams still have to ask themselves if they want to allocate $5M for a middle 6 complementary winger. If the cap was still going up ~$5M per year and we were in "normal" times, I think there would be a lot of interest in Garland, including on VAN's part to keep him.

But there's still opportunity cost to having a player who makes that much and for that term in today's flat cap environment. And that is why I said I think the best move would be for VAN to keep him for another 2 years until the cap starts to go up and there would be more interest & flexibility around the league.
Fair enough, I mean we are somewhat saying the same thing. Apologies for the misunderstanding. Although I will say, I do think Garland has value in today's market, probably similar to Bjork. I do agree though it will probably be an easier trade in 2+ years when the cap dynamics change.

I think something around Severson might make sense, depending on how the Devils view the future of their blue line. Personally, however, I think the smart move is to keep Garland as he's shown to be a strong play driver at even strength, fits the team's core agewise, and is on a good contract. The obvious move to make is a Miller trade.

Reactions: jmelm

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
"Believe in my heart" they are in on DeHaan? Sorry what does that mean
It means that the new regime heard about this guy and whatever informant he had with the old regime and has completely shut him out, so he is basically finally just admitting that he is making shit up

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I think de Haan signs any deal with Ottawa that says “one way” on it. If not, he’s made his money. He can just brew beer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad