Rumor: Canucks on the verge of signing Elias Pettersson for eight years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I keep seeing this sentiment, and my response is: Good on management IF he signs a long term deal. If he doesn't, they may have played this card and made it public which might be an additional reason for him to move on. I want to wait until he actually signs before celebrating

If he doesn't sign, well, he probably wasn't going to stick around anyways.

If this thing with Carolina does pick back up and the package is Necas + Kotkaniemi +, that + better be Nikishin + some level of draft compensation - Kotkaniemi is what he is at this point (A 3rd line centre with 6 years remaining after this season at an AAV of 4.82 mil) and I don't view him as an asset.

Reactions: quat

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
6 years would be better than 5. Also why tf would Petey be mad at Quinn and Hronek? Hughes literally said Petey is his best friend earlier this week. Such BS

The Canucks need to hold to 8 years, especially with Pettersson. They need to avoid this type of drama in the future with their enigmatic 1C.

If this is becoming this gritty and you arent getting what you are comfortable with move the asset. Run your business

Mad at other olayers? Why cause they said sign the f***en deal?

Negotiations can get gritty, can be light, and everything in between. This is normal, imo. The key is that they are talking and have drilled down to term. Meaning, the good will and intent is there. That is a very positive sign.

It's also beneficial to Brisson and Barry, if the bluff did spur Pettersson on, to take advantage and get to close this one before their enigmatic client changes his mind, is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flik

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Eastern media is having a field day with this. No way those clowns know shit.

Yeah don't trust Kypreos + co at all especially after all the BS they spewed before the big leak. Just looking at the difference in messaging, pretty clear Seravalli's source is J.P. Barry and Friedman's probably getting his stuff from Carolina's management. Kypreos' take about the locker room being a reason why Pettersson could look to move on just makes the guy look fraudulent as f***.

Reactions: racerjoe

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Eastern media is having a field day with this. No way those clowns know shit.

I did some digging after Serravelli mentioned it:

1709362131038.png

This Kypreos intel is verified.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Very interesting:

Notes:
- Pettersson is ready to sign a contract.
- Length of deal uncertain.
- Team offered $12m/8Year.
- Pettersson wants 5 years or under, but doesn't want the $12m AAV to change.
- Doug McLean scoffs at the bluff play re: CAR. Brisson and Barry would never fall for it.
- Apparently, animosity within the group. Pettersson mad at Quinn and Hronek??
- MacLean says that if it's as close as a 3 year difference, it will get done.
- Pettersson may wants the 5 years because of the Matthews treatment.
- 3 years difference matters a great deal to the Canucks.
- Brisson has to be realistic and take the 8 year deal.
- Canucks have never been a good team for a number of years, so 1st round will be a test.

As someone who is no stranger to tougher negotiations, I'm not surprised the Brisson/Pettersson camp took the Canucks' best number and are angling for term. Forget the bluff, the Canucks already gave up their max AAV, now test them for weakness elsewhere.
I was watching the show this afternoon when they spewed this bs about the negotiations and the "animosity within the group". It was all speculative garbage. Someone seems to have an axe to grind.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
We believe the media when it is positive and we dont when it is negative. Maybe the truth lays between the two?

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Very interesting:

Notes:
- Pettersson is ready to sign a contract.
- Length of deal uncertain.
- Team offered $12m/8Year.
- Pettersson wants 5 years or under, but doesn't want the $12m AAV to change.
- Doug McLean scoffs at the bluff play re: CAR. Brisson and Barry would never fall for it.
- Apparently, animosity within the group. Pettersson mad at Quinn and Hronek??
- MacLean says that if it's as close as a 3 year difference, it will get done.
- Pettersson may wants the 5 years because of the Matthews treatment.
- 3 years difference matters a great deal to the Canucks.
- Brisson has to be realistic and take the 8 year deal.
- Canucks have never been a good team for a number of years, so 1st round will be a test.

As someone who is no stranger to tougher negotiations, I'm not surprised the Brisson/Pettersson camp took the Canucks' best number and are angling for term. Forget the bluff, the Canucks already gave up their max AAV, now test them for weakness elsewhere.
Doug McLean scoffs at the bluff play re: CAR.

Yet they are negotiating. It is my guess that they made it very clear that it is not a bluff.

Don't blame him. Who does?
His kids don’t even like the guy

Reactions: supercanuck

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
It has been quite good PR work by the Vancouver front office to make much of the fanbase amenable to trading Pete. Good work thus far Allvin.

If the deal makes sense, yeah, do it. If he refuses to sign before the trade deadline, do it faster.

Reactions: theguardianII

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i'd be happy with pettersson at 12m per for 4-5 years. lines up with hughes (who i think is gonna be tough for the canucks to retain for obvious reasons) and the best of the miller years. the cap hit is high but the priority should be keeping pettersson and hughes together. everyone else is secondary to that pair

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
i'd be happy with pettersson at 12m per for 4-5 years. lines up with hughes (who i think is gonna be tough for the canucks to retain for obvious reasons) and the best of the miller years. the cap hit is high but the priority should be keeping pettersson and hughes together. everyone else is secondary to that pair
Would nice for him to be a touch less than $12m if it’s on a 5 year. Nylander got what he did due to the length of the contract. To use his number as a starting point and to not then also use the term isn’t a good value proposition. You’re talking about making Petey for the fourth highest paid player in the league. Yes, with term the value proposition evens out with a deficiency in value at the start and a surplus at the middle and probably appropriate value at the end. If it’s a shorter term you have a value deficiency and then have to pay him even more to keep him when it’s up.

Petey for as good as he is has not taken this team on his back and carried them to wins. He has a number 1 dman and goalie with him and Miller has had the greater impact. On a short term deal I don’t think he should be in the top 4 of cap hits.

Reactions: Flik

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Would nice for him to be a touch less than $12m if it’s on a 5 year. Nylander got what he did due to the length of the contract. To use his number as a starting point and to not then also use the term isn’t a good value proposition. You’re talking about making Petey for the fourth highest paid player in the league. Yes, with term the value proposition evens out with a deficiency in value at the start and a surplus at the middle and probably appropriate value at the end. If it’s a shorter term you have a value deficiency and then have to pay him even more to keep him when it’s up.

Petey for as good as he is has not taken this team on his back and carried them to wins. He has a number 1 dman and goalie with him and Miller has had the greater impact. On a short term deal I don’t think he should be in the top 4 of cap hits.
It's Benning still lingering.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Wayne Gretzky can be traded, anyone can be. Last year the Canucks parted with their captain, Bo Horvat, which shocked some people.

The Carolina rumors are intriguing. They're one of the few teams in the NHL with the assets and prospects to actually make a serious play for Pettersson. And $12m a season for Pettersson is enough to make you gulp more than a few times.

I'm pretty sure Aquilini is lurking somewhere in the background on this one though, and will probably be more than happy to sign off on such a huge contract. So it certainly appears the Canucks are hitching their wagons to the Pettersson horse for the long term.

But wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall to figure out exactly what the 'Canes were offering?

Reactions: ChilliBilly

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
If Wayne Gretzky can be traded, anyone can be. Last year the Canucks parted with their captain, Bo Horvat, which shocked some people.

The Carolina rumors are intriguing. They're one of the few teams in the NHL with the assets and prospects to actually make a serious play for Pettersson. And $12m a season for Pettersson is enough to make you gulp more than a few times.

I'm pretty sure Aquilini is lurking somewhere in the background on this one though, and will probably be more than happy to sign off on such a huge contract. So it certainly appears the Canucks are hitching their wagons to the Pettersson horse for the long term.

But wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall to figure out exactly what the 'Canes were offering?
I would love to know.

Also, would love to know how our scouts see those assets and if they have a plan to flip them.

Like Necas is a part of a package for Guentzel or whatever. No doubt they wrote it down and had a long conversation as a group about it before they decided to move forward with Petey.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rumor du jour on trade talks with Carolina was that it was Necas, Kotkaniemi, and Nikishin, who's playing in the KHL; along with a draft pick for Pettersson, who would have to agree to a contract extension in Carolina.

If the pick was a second rounder or later, that's one thing. But if it was the 'Canes first rounder--than that's a significant haul. At least you'd have to step back and think about it.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think all this signing stuff is team generated just so they can go forward with building the team.
IMO there is now way they will trade EP now because most teams are still in the hunt and would not want to upset their rooms with the calibre of players that would have to go.

But on the other hand there is some teams that might pull the rigger on a huge deal if they are throwing in the towel already.

Isn't it odd that team's Rutherford worked for are the one's with players rumoured in deals with the Canucks?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It's also beneficial to Brisson and Barry, if the bluff did spur Pettersson on, to take advantage and get to close this one before their enigmatic client changes his mind, is good.
I don't see how there is any benefit to B & B. If anything the longer it goes the more money THEY make due to the higher contract value. And if it is a short term deal the thats a double whammy because the cap will have gone up and EP's contract will mirror the increase which it cannot do if signed to a long term.
I was watching the show this afternoon when they spewed this bs about the negotiations and the "animosity within the group". It was all speculative garbage. Someone seems to have an axe to grind.
There being issues in the room go back more than 2 years. There was Horvat and the room that was just a year ago?

Maybe it is just alpha dogs trying to be leaders.

BUT YELLING carries through walls and doors.

One thing about living in the fish bowl of a Canadian city, rarely are the players paparazzied so their private lives are respected which is a good thing.

But do these guys do anything together away from the rink? Do they even go out after a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad