Pre-Game Talk: Canucks Offseason Begins - Expectations?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
That would be pretty funny. I’m here for it.

If this happens, however unlikely it may be, you think Hughes might request a trade after?

Chance of this happening is probably not that high, but based on what see coming out of those two morons running the team, this is a possibility too distinct for me to ignore.

Let's hope that they soundly prove me wrong.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
If this happens, however unlikely it may be, you think Hughes might request a trade after?

Chance of this happening is probably not that high, but based on what see coming out of those two morons running the team, this is a possibility too distinct for me to ignore.

EP should not sign early.

Even if he will extend here, he likely can play him self in to a bigger contract.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I forgot to add at least the Hronek trade become a mid 1st and a mid 2nd for a young top 4 RH D. I dont think Detriot was betting on those 2 picks to be that low

They were hoping like us for 13-15. Will get 17, roughly dropped 3 spots.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

I want one of the brothers to send Fredo out on a boat. If losing EP and Quinn is what it takes? Sure.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Management probably blames a lot of what went wrong this season on goaltending, or lack thereof. I'm expecting a backup goalie to be among their top priorities, whether by trade or free agency. Maybe I'm wrong and management rolls with Silovs, which may not be a huge reach if Abby goes deep in the playoffs. Certainly would help the cap situation.

It's pretty much a given that one of the wingers needs to be moved for cap reasons. My guess is that they would like to part with Garland for peanuts, before others. He doesn't seem to fit all that well with EP or Miller, he has term, and then there is the size thing. A 5mil player that Tocchet doesn't like in the top 6... yeah, nice knowing you Conor.

The right side D:

I'm hoping that they share my views on Myers, and understand that he needs to not be a part of the team next season. He flat out sucks. Sucks at moving the puck, sucks at getting shots on net, sucks at defending, sucks by taking undisciplined penalties. Hughes can't even play with the guy. They'll have to work around OEL and that disaster of a contract, but Myers needs to go now. Retain if needs be. We are literally no worse off by plugging an AHL/NHL tweener in his place on the 3rd pairing.
Trade Myers, let Bear walk (unless he accepts a pay cut to be on the 3rd pair), then use the cap space to get another top4 RHD.

Also have to replace Dries at center. The emergence and hopefully continued growth of Aman, suggests we could go with a physical/defensive 4th liner instead of the likely costly 3rd line center. A solid RHD being my personal top priority, and (unless unexpected players are moved) I don't see the cap available to upgrade significantly at both positions. I choose the D.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I don't think Tocchet likes Boeser or Beauviller. I see them both getting moved. Losing Myers would be addition by subtraction. I feel bad for whomever plays with him, especially a young guy. It must be nerve-racking knowing how many mistakes are about to happen when Myers is on the ice. If we want to move him, we'll have to eat chunk of his contract and probably give up a prospect or pick. OEL should be bought out but he won't because Aquilini is too cheap. And OEL is besties with the Sedins. Miller won't be dealt because there's no one to replace him.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't think Tocchet likes Boeser or Beauviller. I see them both getting moved. Losing Myers would be addition by subtraction. I feel bad for whomever plays with him, especially a young guy. It must be nerve-racking knowing how many mistakes are about to happen when Myers is on the ice. If we want to move him, we'll have to eat chunk of his contract and probably give up a prospect or pick. OEL should be bought out but he won't because Aquilini is too cheap. And OEL is besties with the Sedins. Miller won't be dealt because there's no one to replace him.

Get whatever for Boeser and take the opportunity to sell high on Beauvillier.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009

Canucks Offseason Begins - Expectations?​

I don't know what to expect, but I have hopes and aspirations!

1. Buyout OEL. Easily replaced based on his performance as a Canuck. To be clear, when I say easily replaced I mean there are league minimum players already on the roster that are an improvement and when adding their cap to the OEL buyout cap the team actually saves both money and cap.

2. Re-sign EP to an 8yr $11M(or less) signing bonus riddled NMC contract. Max out his commitment.

3. Jettison Myers post-signing-bonus. As others have suggested it isn't inconceivable that a deal can be made that doesn't close until the bonus is paid. This is one of those ideas that seems insane to me because I've watched him play. This player is often directly responsible for multiple goals against per game without any tangible benefit. How could any professional sports manager think this is a player that helps their team? Well, I'm not a pro sports manager. Players with large bodies and draft pedigree have historically held value that fly in the face of the reality of their on-ice results. I don't get it, but somehow a big body and a high draft position doesn't need to be effective to be coveted.

4. Jettison Boeser. He's been gifted minutes, linemates and situations that can't be explained by merit. They are more easily explained by an attempt to salvage trade value from a contract that is embarrassing in hindsight. Without elite linemates this player brings nothing to the table. It's possible that counting stats and pedigree could entice someone to take a chance on Brock.

5. Use the cap room made available from the above moves to either acquire a young 3C with an expiring cap dump or sign a stop-gap 3C to a 1yr.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks front office has to look at the 'big picture'. This Canucks team is 'soft', 'too slow' and a mini-disaster on the back end.

And for good measure, when you check Cap Friendly the Canucks are still one of the most 'capped out' teams in hockey. It's an ugly scenario to be sure.

But I think other posters are right, that the first thing to fix isn't necessarily the blueline. Its' up front where the Canucks have a collection of small or soft wingers who simply can't play the heavy forecheck game that Tocchet clearly favors.

So you have to question the futures of guys like Beauvillier, Boeser and Garland. That's close to $16m in salaries and not one of these guys cracked 20 goals for the season.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Last off-season I expected them to trade Miller, make an additional move to address their cap challenges, and do something about the defence corps. Instead they signed Miller, did essentially nothing to address the cap, and signed an expensive winger (Mikheyev).

This off-season I really don't know what to expect. Will they extend Petey? What about Bear? Will they be able to move some contracts? Will they be in a position to sign a UFA like Gavrikov? Will they keep their 1st round pick? Lots of questions.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
I would wait one more year to buy out oel. And I would let Myers contract run its full course unless a positive offer comes along for him in trade. I think his perceived value league wide is still quite decent.

There’s not many free agents this year, so the trade market could be a bit hotter than usual. Good opportunity to shed some forward weight.

I’d also take a good hard look at trading Petey. If that happens, the dominoes will fall.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: calnuck

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
As for OEL. I remain against a buyout given how much dead cap we'd have to deal with until 2031. I'd prefer to ride him out and chance LTIRetirement at some point.

As much as I hate it, I agree. At least, as he gets crappier, he also gets more brittle. I honestly think that he'll play is last professional game in the next season or two.

Last edited:

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Well, we can’t trade Brock Boeser now. He has had a hard couple of years and says he really wants to stay.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
If Brock doesnt come into camp in shape and with an extra pep in his step he is as good as gone. If you want to be here you better prove it or Jim and Co will ship you out faster then you can say "We have a trade to announce"

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
In addition to what everyone else has menetioned, with Demko and Hughes contract sunsetting in 3 years, this first round pick might be valuable to help push the window of competition sooner. At this point, if it’s not a rebuild, might as well use the pick to help the roster now through a trade.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
In addition to what everyone else has menetioned, with Demko and Hughes contract sunsetting in 3 years, this first round pick might be valuable to help push the window of competition sooner. At this point, if it’s not a rebuild, might as well use the pick to help the roster now through a trade.
Wait to see where the pick lands. This years draft could potentially help within the Hughes/Demko deals. Look to deal the next years pick, and maybe Lekkermaki.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Trade what is necessary to fully get off of the OEL contract.

i’d be willing to add garland as the sweetener

could get us a top ten pick?

Management probably blames a lot of what went wrong this season on goaltending, or lack thereof. I'm expecting a backup goalie to be among their top priorities, whether by trade or free agency.

see this is what happens when you don’t spend on a holtby or halak

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
I would wait one more year to buy out oel. And I would let Myers contract run its full course unless a positive offer comes along for him in trade. I think his perceived value league wide is still quite decent.

There’s not many free agents this year, so the trade market could be a bit hotter than usual. Good opportunity to shed some forward weight.

I’d also take a good hard look at trading Petey. If that happens, the dominoes will fall.
Are you being serious?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I would say that this years first as a very good chance of being an impactful roster player in 3 years. But I bet you our 2024/2025 1st will be on the table

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Quinn Hughes 3 year window to UFA status

Trade the 1st
We need some entry level contracts that put up points like Kuz did this year to win imo, and it’s going to take another 2 years and a cap increase to fix the mess we have on the cap. We need the first and I would like to see us trade miller for a couple more.

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
We need some entry level contracts that put up points like Kuz did this year to win imo, and it’s going to take another 2 years and a cap increase to fix the mess we have on the cap. We need the first and I would like to see us trade miller for a couple more.
Trade the first to get off of OEL plus whatever else but also trade J.T. for futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad