Seravalli: Canucks now willing to retain 1mil on Boeser and that The Penguins are interested

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Haven't we been saying this about Kapanen for ages now?
IDK have we?

I've said it quite a bit this year b/c people see that he's only playing 10-12 mins a night mostly in defensive situations. For 3 million for 2 years I am not sure what you are expecting from a 40 point player with very limited minutes in today's NHL

Kap is playing with Jeff Carter and Brock McGinn who generally pucks just die on their sticks when transitioning up the ice.

Many pens fans would have liked to see him in the top 6 and even when players in the top 6 were playing like trash and Kapanen playing well he never got that opportunity as he has seemed to really fallen out of favor with Sullivan.

Not sure what your point is?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I’m not against the player at all, I think it’s being redundant on the team due to similar or better players. Pearson for Kapanen would be fine but not for Boeser, whoever buys low on him will be very happy as he just needs a change of scenery. The whole point of moving Boeser is for Cap flexibility and retaining on him plus adding Kapanen is not going to accomplish that.
If Boeser came at 25% retained for Kapanen the teams would basically split the cap hit for this year and next. Kapanen has next year and then a UFA, so the year after the Canucks would have about 1.65mil on the books the final year of Boeser’s contract. The Canucks would save about 1.65mil next year and 5mil in the last year. The also have the option to flip Kapanen for a 2/3 round pick at next years deadline. The Pens would need to send Blueger or possibly Heinen in the deal to make it work this season. Both are UFA’s.

Boeser 25% retained for 2023 2nd, Kapanen, Blueger/Heinen. Get er done JR.

Last edited:
Reactions: platotld

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Haven't we been saying this about Kapanen for ages now?
Who’s we? Definitely not you. Kapanen being shoved on the third line with awful usage and a useless Carter doesn’t really help anyone. Pens bottom 6 has some of the worst and hardest usage in the NHL for dz starts and it’s why it produces the way it does. Kapanen was largely miscast by Sullivan from the start. A player that played a ton of pk minutes in Toronto comes to the Pens and barely gets used there if at all.

There is no we, here. You don’t know how badly a lot have been used and Kapanen is definitely one of those players that will produce the moment he’s liberated from Sullivan and his moronic usage.

Imagine a coach that benched a young player for scoring a goal for almost an entire period just because. That’s Sullivan. Kapanen’s value is low because of that but he’s definitely a candidate of making this coaching staff look stupid the moment he’s gone and produces elsewhere.

Those were failed projects for JR and PA and fortunately for them they get a do over. If there was a trade to be made it would have happened already I’m pretty sure, Pens have been looking for a winger all year and we are stacked with them.
After all JR and PA have done, you really think it’s much of a do-over? They already mistreated Boudreau, didn’t do anything to fix the defense issues in the summer and let go or moved any bottom 6 talent that were capable 2way players. There’s a reason not a single one of us pens fans were feeling sorry for losing PA and the soon to be fired but quit on the Pens JR.

Tocchet literally dunked on the team and their lack of defensive play, when you look at who he has, makes sense. I’m guessing PA is now looking to fix that after what Tocchet said and with OEL and Myers being albatrosses, the best they can do is try to get some bottom 6 forwards that can play D and PK. The Canucks are literally the 2nd worst defensive team and the PK is dead last at 65%, that’s freakishly bad. I can see that as a massive need.

Even the worst PK last year was 73%.

The worst PK since 2005-06 was 71% a few seasons ago. This is the first time a team could finish below 70% for their PK. I mean…yeah I can see PA wanting Blueger for one.

Last edited:
Reactions: CherryToke

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Keep in mind that it was GMJR that drafted Kapanen and then traded a 1st+ to get him back from Toronto. Here's betting he still has a soft spot for the player.

Only way we take McGinn, Kapanen, and Blueger is if Pickering is included. Other than Kapanen everyone’s a cap dump. And even still, don’t think it’s worth all that hassle for a B prospect.
Honestly, if you would take McGinn, Carter and Kapanen, I'd happily put Pickering in the deal.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Boeser came at 25% retained for Kapanen the teams would basically split the cap hit for this year and next. Kapanen has next year and then a UFA, so the year after the Canucks would have about 1.65mil on the books the final year of Boeser’s contract. The Canucks would save about 1.65mil next year and 5mil in the last year. The also have the option to flip Kapanen for a 2/3 round pick at next years deadline. The Pens would need to send Blueger or possibly Heinen in the deal to make it work this season. Both are UFA’s.

I’d laugh if that was it. It’s very JR influenced.

Keep in mind that it was GMJR that drafted Kapanen and then traded a 1st+ to get him back from Toronto. Here's betting he still has a soft spot for the player.

Honestly, if you would take McGinn, Carter and Kapanen, I'd happily put Pickering in the deal.
We wish Carter would waive for Vancouver or that he’s even a player Hex would move.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Sounds about right, at his worst he’s still performing just overpaid by about 1/1.25 m.

Prime change of scenery candidate I hope he can thrive wherever he ends up.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Well no…

Boeser and Garland are actually good.
Lmao. Insinuating that Boeser and Garland are anywhere near Rakell and Rust.

That is where our GM yawns and hangs up the phone.

No one wants to send a 1st for Boeser's ugly contract and his skating + d zone warts. Good luck though.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
He was supposed to be healthy scratched, then a player got injured in the morning skate which pushed Boeser back into the lineup.

Regardless, he was playing shitty enough where he was going to be scratched, and the only reason he wasn't was because of an injury to another player.
So you agree …… He was not a healthy scratch this year and you were wrong to say he was!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Boeser would be traded for either cap space or a defenceman. Sending back wingers is not at all what the team wants in a return we already have a glut when healthy next year and couldnt even find space for Hoglander and Podkolzin this year who should be mainstays in the top9 barring another trade

a top4 D
b draft pick/s and prospect/s + Cap space to get a top4 D

needs to be one of these. Garland or Beauvillier could be had also if you prefer just need to re allocate money to the defense and create a roster spot or 2 n the wings for young players coming through the system on the cheap

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What a ridiculous thing to have be news. How do they expect to maximize his value?

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Gotta figure the Jets would be very interested if they miss out on Meier. We desperately need some secondary scoring and he's a Minnesota boy. Weve already got a bunch of those. Would need some $$$ retention from VAN. Would a 2nd get it done?

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Gotta figure the Jets would be very interested if they miss out on Meier. We desperately need some secondary scoring and he's a Minnesota boy. Weve already got a bunch of those. Would need some $$$ retention from VAN. Would a 2nd get it done?

Unretained, yes I believe it would. Retention will cost more though. 2nd + b prospect or 3rd I reckon for 1-1.5 mil retained. Just my guess.

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Unretained, yes I believe it would. Retention will cost more though. 2nd + b prospect or 3rd I reckon for 1-1.5 mil retained. Just my guess.
Would need retention(maybe 2M?) so a 2nd plus a B level D prospect(i would imagine young D is something VAN is looking for). Maybe a Simon Lundmark, Garrett Brown, Declan Chisholm, or Leon Gawanke.....

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Would need retention(maybe 2M?) so a 2nd plus a B level D prospect(i would imagine young D is something VAN is looking for). Maybe a Simon Lundmark, Declan Chisholm, or Leon Gawanke.....

It's probably not palatable to you, but if the Canucks are retaining 2mil it would likely be a first required for the trade. Expecting it to be a fairly low first, mind you - 20's or so.

I am not familiar with the grade of the prospects, but yes - literally any D with a preference for defensive RD prospects would probably whet Allvin's appetite.

Just like everyone's I suppose.

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
It's probably not palatable to you, but if the Canucks are retaining 2mil it would likely be a first required for the trade. Expecting it to be a fairly low first, mind you - 20's or so.

I am not familiar with the grade of the prospects, but yes - literally any D with a preference for defensive RD prospects would probably whet Allvin's appetite.

Just like everyone's I suppose.
Doubt Chevy would be willing to part with a 1st. We'll have close to 11M at the deadline so really dont need too much retention, but it would be nice if were looking to make more moves. I'd be fine with a 2nd and a B level D prospect for 1.5M retained.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Naw to Boeser, we have more pressing issues to work on like the bottom 6. Also we are slow enough as it is, no need to get even slower.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Doubt Chevy would be willing to part with a 1st. We'll have close to 11M at the deadline so really dont need too much retention, but it would be nice if were looking to make more moves. I'd be fine with a 2nd and a B level D prospect for 1.5M retained.

I tend to think that is a fair enough trade for both sides. I hope Boeser does get moved, for his own sake - he is such a bounce back candidate. If I were a GM from another team, I would certainly be looking at him as a buy-low asset.

But we will see. For this discussion, 2nd and B level D prospect for Boeser 1.5mil retained sounds about right.

Reactions: jokesondee

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I tend to think that is a fair enough trade for both sides. I hope Boeser does get moved, for his own sake - he is such a bounce back candidate. If I were a GM from another team, I would certainly be looking at him as a buy-low asset.

But we will see. For this discussion, 2nd and B level D prospect for Boeser 1.5mil retained sounds about right.
Yeah he seems like a guy that just needs a change of scenery. Think he could be a potential 30/30 guy with the Jets.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

If we're retaining that much, we're getting back more than a late 2nd, and three redundant and basically valueless players.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Its Friday folks!

Canucks love making trades on Fridays and or on Long Weekends!

It happens to be both that for British Columbia today!

Expecting a Boeser trade to be announced in the next few hours!

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

That offer could get you Boeser with no retention.

If we're retaining, there is a much higher cost that needs to be paid, especially as Kapanen and Blueger/Heinen hold 0 value to this team.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’d do Gawanke and a 2nd for 1.5M retained on Boeser, but man I’d be pushing hard for that 1st rounder.

The more retained obv the higher the cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad