Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Some Like it Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Here’s my spreadsheet for upcoming UFAs, each team’s cap situation, and a trade tracker. I update the spreadsheet daily. I use CapFriendly to create this list and AFP Analytics for the contract projections.

Edit: Spreadsheet has been updated with AFP's latest projections and I added a new section for RFAs.

Top-6 Forwards
Sam ReinhartRW288y/10.25m
Jake GuentzelW296y/7.94m
Steven StamkosLW/C343y/6.30m
Jonathan MarchessaultW333y/6.25m
Joe PavelskiRW391y/3.94m
Matt DucheneRW/C333y/6.46m
Sean MonahanFW293y/2.87m
Tyler ToffoliW325y/6.53m
Jonathan DrouinW294y/4.46m
Teuvo TeravainenW295y/6.13m
Vladimir TarasenkoRW323y/5.64m
Adam HenriqueLW/C342y/4.60m
Chandler StephensonC/LW305y/5.77m
Max DomiC/RW293y/4.17m
Patrick KaneRW352y/5.51m
Elias LindholmC/RW297y/8.04m
Anthony ManthaW293y/4.40m
Daniel SprongW273y/3.89m
Jake DeBruskW275y/5.92m
David PerronW362y/2.80m
Tyler BertuzziW295y/6.00m
Anthony DuclairW283y/3.22m
Jason ZuckerW323y/5.46m
Jack RoslovicC/RW273y/3.11m
Max PaciorettyLW35
Alexander BarabanovW303y/3.03m

Top-4 Defecemen
Shayne GostisbehereLD/RD313y/4.38m
Brady SkjeiLD306y/7.39m
Noah HanifinLD277y/7.69m
Brandon MontourRD307y/8.71m
Oliver Ekman-LarssonLD323y/3.67m
Dylan DeMeloRD314y/5.07m
Sean WalkerLD/RD294y/4.87m
Matt RoyRD294y/5.58m
TJ BrodieLD/RD343y/4.91m
Brenden DillonLD332y/3.91m
Alexandre CarrierRD273y/3.57m
Nikita ZadorovLD/RD294y/5.10m
Chris TanevRD343y/4.68m
Brett PesceRD296y/6.72m
Matt GrzelcykLD303y/4.07m
Oliver KylingtonLD/RD27

Bottom-6 Forwards
James van RiemsdykW351y/1.50m
Warren FoegeleW284y/3.58m
Stefan NoesenW312y/3.23m
Danton HeinenW28
Tyler JohnsonFW33
Alexander WennbergC294y/4.21m
Jordan MartinookW312y/2.79m
Dakota JoshuaLW283y/3.00m
Michael AmadioW28
Teddy BluegerC/LW292y/2.56m
Sam LaffertyFW292y/1.72m
Kiefer SherwoodW29
Mike HoffmanLW341y/1.86m
Tomas TatarW331y/2.21m
Kyle OkposoRW361y/1.96m
Kasperi KapanenRW27
Andrew CoglianoLW37
Jakob SilfverbergW332y/2.78m
Cal ClutterbuckRW36
Corey PerryRW39
Patrick MaroonW36
Yakov TreninLW/C273y/3.33m
Dominik KubalikW282y/1.34m
Anthony BeauvillierW27
Sam CarrickC/RW32
Tanner PearsonLW31
Zemgus GirgensonsLW/C302y/1.74m
Colin BlackwellC/RW31
Brandon DuhaimeW27
Nick CousinsLW/C30
Connor BrownW30
Joel KivirantaW28
William CarrierLW293y/2.68m
Tyler MotteW293y/2.55m
Samuel BlaisW281y/0.94m
Tyson JostC26

Bottom-Pairing Defencemen
Erik GustafssonLD323y/4.99m
Tyler MyersRD342y/2.67m
Justin SchultzRD332y/3.81m
Kevin ShattenkirkRD351y/1.37m
Jalen ChatfieldRD283y/2.77m
Mike ReillyLD301y/1.24m
Dmitry KulikovLD/RD33
Alec MartinezLD361y/1.7m
Tyson BarrieRD322y/3.72m
Jani HakanpaaRD322y/2.38m
Vincent DesharnaisRD282y/1.41m
Ian ColeLD/RD352y/3.09m
Matt DumbaRD293y/3.73m
Colin MillerRD31
Mark GiordanoLD401y/3.11m
Marco ScandellaLD34
Calvin De HaanLD/RD33
Josh BrownRD30
Ilya LyubushkinRD301y/1.31m
Joel EdmundsonLD/RD31
Troy StecherRD30
Derek ForbortLD32
Erik JohnsonRD361y/1.13m

Forward Depth
Christian FischerW27
Craig SmithRW34
Victor OlofssonW28
Trevor LewisRW/C37
Justin BaileyRW29
Kevin StenlundC/RW27
Jeff CarterRW/C39
Ryan CarpenterRW/C33
Nicolas Aube-KubelRW282y/1.53m
AJ GreerW27
Liam O'BrienW29
Chris TierneyC30
Mattias JanmarkW31
Sam GagnerRW/C34
Brendan SmithLD/RD35
Eric RobinsonLW29
Zach PariseLW39
Kevin LabancW282y/1.94m
Fredrik OlofssonC/LW28
Alex Barre-BouletW27
Matt MartinW35
Radim ZohornaW28
Pierre-Edouard BellemareC/LW39
Tyler PitlickRW32
Austin WatsonW32
Tomas NosekLW/C31
Jansen HarkinsLW27
Rourke ChartierC28
Steven LorentzFW28

Defensive Depth
Jack JohnsonLD37
Vincent DesharnaisRD282y/1.41m
Anthony DeangeloRD282y/1.80m
Jarred TinordiLD32
Sebastian AhoLD28
Dakota MermisLD/RD30
Jacob MacDonaldLD/RD31
Dennis GilbertLD27
Nikita ZaitsevRD32
Nick DeSimoneRD29
Travis DermottLD/RD27
Caleb JonesLD/RD27
Chad RuhwedelRD34
William LagesonLD/RD28

Goaltenders
Cam TalbotG361y/1.89m
Ilya SamsonovG272y/3.26m
Alex NedeljkovicG282y/2.00m
Kaapo KahkonenG272y/2.93m
Scott WedgewoodG312y/1.57m
Casey DeSmithG321y/2.02m
Anthony StolarzG302y/1.91m
James ReimarG36
Antti RaantaG351y/1.31m
David RittichG31
Kevin LankinenG291y/1.58m
Laurent BrossoitG312y/1.95m
Calvin PickardG32
Martin JonesG34

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
That’s an awful idea.

There’s no issue with bringing the group back, or at least the portions of it that work. We need to build on this team. And, a kid line? That’s not what I want to see for my 4th line at all.
Bringing this group back means status quo.
The weakness of this team is scoring depth, center depth and puck moving ability from the back. You spend the money to address those weakness first and then rely on pro scouting to unearth the same guys they did this past off season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You'll have no idea how that will translate on the ice. Usually, teams in this position, build on something. Turning the group over outside of like 5 guys means you are just hoping it works out, you have no guarantee Tocchet will mesh with new guys, no guarantee on line chemistry, almost fully turning over the blue line. Like, do you think this has a high probability of success? If they could build on this team in some way I'd be far more optimistic.
I think it’s fine as long as the spine is still there, if we run Miller-Petey-Lindholm down the middle, they know what the system is and we just need to get 1 scoring winger and guys that has the attribute to play the role that toc wants. Probably we need a fast forechecker on every line so every line has 1 or 2 playmaker, 1 or 2 goal scorer and 1 guy that does all the dirty work.
On D, you already having Hughes and Souvy holding 2 pairs together. I think if we get Tanev then we will have an anchor for each pairing so I am not too worried.

Reactions: mathonwy

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
OUT:
Lafferty
Cole
DeSmith- its just Silovs is here to stay
Mik- trade him somehow

Hronek - less than 5m or trade him for assets

Re-sign: Zadorov

Myers - on the fence, check Free agency for better options first
Lindholm - if its reasonable cap hit then bring him back

EP - making too much for what he brought in the playoffs. If there's good deal available, canucks should be open to trading him

- Would like canucks to offer a package if B tkachuk is available.
Not showing up for game 7,this team has no excuses.Everyone needs to be evaluated.

Reactions: Donuts

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think it’s fine as long as the spine is still there, if we run Miller-Petey-Lindholm down the middle, they know what the system is and we just need to get 1 scoring winger and guys that has the attribute to play the role that toc wants. Probably we need a fast forechecker on every line so every line has 1 or 2 playmaker, 1 or 2 goal scorer and 1 guy that does all the dirty work.
On D, you already having Hughes and Souvy holding 2 pairs together. I think if we get Tanev then we will have an anchor for each pairing so I am not too worried.

Again, that's fine in theory, but I doubt the numbers work (I haven't looked in detail). If you bring back Lindholm and Zadorov even, I doubt you can add scoring depth and address the blue line in any meaningful way (especially since bringing back Lindholm means no Hronek).

For the record, I would also try to keep those three centres together, but I'm not sure I see a path in that scenario to making the team meaningfully better. They don't have a lot of trade assets, and trying to improve a bunch of positions from free agency is a total crap shoot.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
This will be an interesting off season to follow. Will likely determine how realistic a window this core will have in the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: vanuck

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
We've a very exciting and meaningful offseason ahead of us!

Bring back Zadorov and Lindholm if possible.

Joshua was once a must sign, but he totally faded in the playoffs. Bring him back if he accepts a team friendly top 9 type contract.

Hronek was a complete no-show and while yes, he and Hughes were a great pair to start the season I feel like that was most likely because of Hughes leveling up to Norris worthy status. I'd only want to bring Hronek back if the cap hit is reasonable, say 6.25-7/year, otherwise gtfo with this 8x8 nonsense lol.

We've got our new back-up in Silovs next year, he can split starts with Demko.

Mikheyev has to be traded asap, attach whatever picks etc to get rid of that loser lol.

Improve the wings and get a bit of speed in the line-up if you can.

These are my drunken fantasy GM thoughts. Worthless I know. :)

Reactions: Bourne Endeavor

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I’d like to see Hronek back at a reasonable price. He had a pretty poor post season, and even his point totals are inflated by early season success. If he’s willing to accept 7mil I’d sign him long term, but I don’t really want to pay more than that.

Zadorov is a tough one… He’s a guy we should be looking to keep, his physicality in the playoffs is a game changer. I’m not sure I want to drastically over pay for him though. But ya, he’d be a guy that’s hard to let go. I’d probably pony up the 6x6 for him if I had to, but I’d try to see if we could get him at a slight discount….

Joshua is tough too. Good year, good first round, bad second round. We could try to lock him in for 4 years at something like 3mil. It’s a risky contract though… I’d probably take the risk…

Myers I would bring back at 3mil max. for maybe 2 years. He had a good season, and playoffs. And, it did seem advantageous having these big defensemen in the playoffs.

Blueger I would bring back at 2mil max. He was fine, but, I’m not giving him some big increase or anything.

I don’t think we can afford Lindholm. I’d love to bring him back, I just don’t see how. The only way would be if we find a way to move Mikheyev, which I think will be hard. And even then, I dunno, any high cap hit contract would be risky.

The rest can all go.

The weakness of this team is scoring depth, center depth and puck moving ability from the back. You spend the money to address those weakness first and then rely on pro scouting to unearth the same guys they did this past off season.

I don’t think those were our weaknesses at all….

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
AFP released their updated contract projections today. I have a lot of work updating my spreadsheets.
there are some pretty eyebrow raising projections. If someone gives Sean Monahan $5.3MM per on a 4 year deal i will be shocked.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Icing a bunch of kids and hoping they figure it out is how you get Hoglander 1.0 who looked absolutely lost before mercifully being sent back down to work on his game. For all the justified criticism Willie D got, the one thing he did right was easing Horvat into minutes he earned by outplaying his competition instead of slotting him in because "he's the future once Henrik retires."

We really don't have kids that deserve a guaranteed spot on the roster right now, Podkolzin notwithstanding. Even he has a fair number of warts in his game. Bains looked completely out of his depth and Karlsson isn't much better. The only standout was, surprisingly, Aman.

Let the kids earn their spots and trade whoever they replace if or when that days arrives not before.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Again, that's fine in theory, but I doubt the numbers work (I haven't looked in detail). If you bring back Lindholm and Zadorov even, I doubt you can add scoring depth and address the blue line in any meaningful way (especially since bringing back Lindholm means no Hronek).

For the record, I would also try to keep those three centres together, but I'm not sure I see a path in that scenario to making the team meaningfully better. They don't have a lot of trade assets, and trying to improve a bunch of positions from free agency is a total crap shoot.
I think it can work if we don’t bring back Joshua and trade away Mik.
I know we fell in love with Zad but if he wants more than 4.5 then we just need to let him walk and we focus using that money to get Tanev back.
I think we need to run an Uber cheap 4th line with like Sasson/Bains, Aman, Pod.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
That pp needs to be a worked on as well, entries setups etc. Hughes is such a dynamic player it would be interesting to see what a pp coach could do with him and this team.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Icing a bunch of kids and hoping they figure it out is how you get Hoglander 1.0 who looked absolutely lost before mercifully being sent back down to work on his game. For all the justified criticism Willie D got, the one thing he did right was easing Horvat into minutes he earned by outplaying his competition instead of slotting him in because "he's the future once Henrik retires."

We really don't have kids that deserve a guaranteed spot on the roster right now, Podkolzin notwithstanding. Even he has a fair number of warts in his game. Bains looked completely out of his depth and Karlsson isn't much better. The only standout was, surprisingly, Aman.

Let the kids earn their spots and trade whoever they replace if or when that days arrives not before.
Pod needs to play, Aman needs to play and he got some playoff experience and you both expect both of them to work on their bodies to get better.
I think it’s only bad if you ice them with no structure, the whole point about our coaching is they have super defined roles and a set way to play.
I mean yea there needs to be competition, nobody should be gifted. But you can get like a vet for 1M to compete for those spots and send him down to the A if the kids are better.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Also if hroneks ask is too high, I'd look to move him to the ducks for vatrano+ or the blues for buchnevik. Add some firepower

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i am fully ready for allvin to have a keyser soze summer

sell high on garland, hronek, and silovs, bring in cheap, fast young players who can contribute now and fill out the depth roles

myers gone, lafferty gone, cole gone, blueger gone, desmith gone, mikheyev probably here to stay

act decisively and lock up two or three of zadorov, lindholm, and joshua long before july 1 to less than we’d think

and with the cap space opened up, stun us all by filling out the team with guys we never would have imagined

Reactions: ameselare

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
there's like eight years of evidence zadorov isn't actually the player he's been the last six weeks. i don't mind signing him for 2-3 years but a contract with money and term is almost guaranteed to be an albatross

Yep. 6x6 is insanity. I’d go 4.5 AAV by 6 years and that’s being generous. He’ll most likely get that from a bottom feeder and I wish him the best.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I think who we bring back boils down to whether they want to build on what we started here or go out seeking their big payday. Can't blame them on the latter but that's where it all starts.

Zadorov is probably first on that list. If he has his heart set on 6x6, I just don't see a realistic way to make that work. Love what he brought, especially in the playoffs but his regular season left... something to be desired at times. We really can't get too caught up in a good playoff performance. I could be convinced of 5.5 but that feels like that absolute limit.

Hronek really cost himself money. A dreadful second half followed up by an even worse playoff performance should squish the slightest notion of 8M. Frankly, even 7M is a tough argument, and not necessarily one he'll win if we go to arbitration. I think the best case scenario for both us and him is a short term deal with a low caphit; probably at or around 7M.

Joshua is another who lost a good chunk of his bargaining position. He regressed hard after game 1 of the Nashville series. I'm hoping we can convince him to take under 3M but on a 6-7 year term. Basically, we assure him stability and he takes less to be apart of it. I'd let him go if he wants anything north of 3M.

Lindholm is another I would love to bring back but just don't see how we manage it. He is going to get offers, all of which are likely more than we can afford. My hard limit for him is roughly 7M or maybe very slightly higher.

Myers deserves another contract, so long as it comes cheap. Ironically, the best season he's played for us.

I'm fine with Blueger but not for much more than the 1.9M he currently makes. He'd be another "long term but cheap dollar amount" player for me.

The one major factor is Mikheyev cannot, understand any circumstance, don the Orca next season. I don't care if we punt our first away for literally nothing. I'll be livid if Allvin tries to spin any sort of "we want to work with him and feel he can bounce back." He can "bounce back" on San Jose.

Last edited:

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Hronek can f*** off. $8 million per my ass.
I think the best thing would be a 1 year contract and play him 2nd pairing minutes. If he can carry a pairing and produce then maybe he's deserving of #2 money. He's a #3 that will be passed on the depth chart by Willander in a few years. Definitely can't afford to overpay guys who don't produce in the playoffs.

Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think the best thing would be a 1 year contract and play him 2nd pairing minutes. If he can carry a pairing and produce then maybe he's deserving of #2 money. He's a #3 that will be passed on the depth chart by Willander in a few years. Definitely can't afford to overpay guys who don't produce in the playoffs.
Best would be 2 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad