Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I'm hoping the reports going around that the guys all really want to make something work, including Zadorov, Hronek and Joshua leads to them taking a little less. Petey did despite everyone thinking he was easily demanding 12M. Our best bet is offering term in exchange for a lower dollar amount.

The big question though is trading Mikheyev. I don't see any way we can realistically address our offense if they don't move on from him. I get the whole "we want to give him a chance" mentality but I just don't think it's a worthwhile idea unless teams are trying to bend us over.
Full recovery from ACL reconstruction takes way longer than Mikheyev was sidelined for. Bure was a shell his first year back despite ++ conditioning and work ethic. Mikeyev (and Pettersson!) returning to form probably helps address our offense. I would say moving on from Boeser and replacing him with a fish from the UFA pool is another way to go, particularly if we can get back a decent asset or two in return. I'm sure this will be an unpopular take considering his game yesterday :). at the end of the day, the 2023/4 Canucks squad was as likeable as any I've cheered for over the last 42 years, so this offseason is going to be painful, however it plays out.

1714423821633.png

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
aside from the usual suspects everyone is talking about (zadarov, hronek, joshua), i've been impressed with suter. having him locked up for next season at such a low hit is very helpful given that he's playing as a top line forward for us right now.

considering that he's turning 28, has career earnings of around 11.5M and basically makes league minimum when adjusting for vancouver costs and taxes, (and half of what his last aav was in detroit), i would consider giving him a burrows-like extension this summer rather than letting him test the market next summer, if he's willing to stay for cheap.

thinking something like a $12m/4 year extension gives him financial security and gives the team cost certainty through the oel years. maybe $10m/3 years if there's hesitation to lock in for that long on a middle-6 forward.

sure, you could probably go bargain bin shopping for guys like jesse puljujarvi or ryan donato who will be ufas next summer as replacements, but in a rising cap environment, there's no guarantee they provide the same utility for cheaper. and if suter plays all of next year with miller and boeser and puts up 40+ ES points, we're probably paying him upwards of garland money or losing him to someone who does.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
What now?

Trying to think of options where we can trade Hronek if his demands are too high and Mikheyev as well...moving Poolman as well in that transaction may be a pipe dream lol. Right now Vatrano is a target the team has reportedly been interested in. I also think something around Hronek and Mikheyev for Greenway and Peterka would work.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Trying to think of options where we can trade Hronek if his demands are too high and Mikheyev as well...moving Poolman as well in that transaction may be a pipe dream lol. Right now Vatrano is a target the team has reportedly been interested in. I also think something around Hronek and Mikheyev for Greenway and Peterka would work.
Hronek is a 26 yo top pairing RD, contract situation or not they would need to get a lot of value if they move him.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Hronek is a 26 yo top pairing RD, contract situation or not they would need to get a lot of value if they move him.

They also need to move Mikheyev if they want to resign their current pieces or add a different one. You can either get extra assets back in a Hronek trade and move them out in a Mikheyev trade or just accept a lower return if both are moved at the same time. 6 of one, half dozen of the other...

I guess a buyout is the other option.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
They also need to move Mikheyev if they want to resign their current pieces or add a different one. You can either get extra assets back in a Hronek trade and move them out in a Mikheyev trade or just accept a lower return if both are moved at the same time. 6 of one, half dozen of the other...

Dumping Mikheyev in some way is a no-brainer. Even if he rebounds somewhat next year, there's no way you can afford to pay a third-liner that much money given the amount of free agents the team will want to bring back who are flat-out superior players. Joshua has played himself into a borderline top-six role and will be paid accordingly (still probably less than Mikheyev currently makes).

Boeser and Garland have proven too valuable to dump on a salary basis, so that leaves Mikheyev.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

After Tampa's playoff exit, Cernak may be available before his NTC kicks in. Big injury and risk of decline concerns here so Tampa needs to add but Cernak would be a fit. I wouldn't have said this a year ago, but preference would be to re-sign Hronek.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Using a contributing player instead of picks to do so while the team is trying to compete would be negligent.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Using a contributing player instead of picks to do so while the team is trying to compete would be negligent.

You're just repeating yourself without offering any sort of argument or solution here. How specifically do you propose they dump the Mikheyev contract?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I don’t see any team in the league that would trade for Mikheyev. He is an offensive black-hole. The cost to dump him would be prohibitive. They would need to give up futures that they need to reserve for TDL acquisitions.

The Canucks only recourse is to buy-him out. They need to hedge a bet that the pain of a $1.55m penalty in years 3+4 is less painful that paying him $4.5m to contribute zero goals in a top-six role in years 1+2.

I will bang on this drum all off-season just like I did with the OEL buyout this time last year. I know buyouts suck and they only delay the pain. But this is exactly the same sort of scenario that management found themselves in last year. They’ve already given us the blueprint for what they are going to do.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I don’t see any team in the league that would trade for Mikheyev. He is an offensive black-hole. The cost to dump him would be prohibitive. They would need to give up futures that they need to reserve for TDL acquisitions.

The Canucks only recourse is to buy-him out. They need to hedge a bet that the pain of a $1.55m penalty in years 3+4 is less painful that paying him $4.5m to contribute zero goals in a top-six role in years 1+2.

I will bang on this drum all off-season just like I did with the OEL buyout this time last year. I know buyouts suck and they only delay the pain. But this is exactly the same sort of scenario that management found themselves in last year. They’ve already given us the blueprint for what they are going to do.
I agree. The window is Hughes contract. We don't have time to let bad contracts expire. Know when to cut your losses. The 3mill we'd have extra by buying him out outweighs the 1.5milp penalty.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
You're just repeating yourself without offering any sort of argument or solution here. How specifically do you propose they dump the Mikheyev contract?
Anything other than contributing players on the roster. Picks, prospects, buyout if the positive outweighs the negative (I’m not convinced it does).

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Anything other than contributing players on the roster. Picks, prospects, buyout if the positive outweighs the negative (I’m not convinced it does).

Jesus...again, you can either use the picks or prospects you get from the Hronek trade or the Canucks own. Net result is the same.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Jesus...again, you can either use the picks or prospects you get from the Hronek trade or the Canucks own. Net result is the same.
If you trade Hronek for picks and then use them to dump Mikheyev, you’re net down Hronek and Mikheyev. If you trade our picks to dump Mikheyev, you’re net down picks and Mikheyev. One of those options is obviously SIGNIFICANTLY preferable to the other in the team’s current competitive cycle.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'd be really eyeing up Toronto if they flame out tonight. There is blood in the water and they will be looking to make some big changes.

I could see them being very interested in Hronek if he is made available, and they'll have a war chest if they pull the trigger on moving Marner.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'd be really eyeing up Toronto if they flame out tonight. There is blood in the water and they will be looking to make some big changes.

I could see them being very interested in Hronek if he is made available, and they'll have a war chest if they pull the trigger on moving Marner.
I’d be happy with a package of Liljegren + picks/prospects/young roster player. Maybe McCabe but he’s already 30z

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm not really interested in any of the Maple Leafs' castoffs. A core player? Sure.

Knies and Robertson shouldn't go anywhere. Liljegren has been a disappointment. Only guy from their young player group that I'd be interested in is Connor Timmins and that's so he could play the Noah Juulsen role.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dumping Mikheyev in some way is a no-brainer. Even if he rebounds somewhat next year, there's no way you can afford to pay a third-liner that much money given the amount of free agents the team will want to bring back who are flat-out superior players. Joshua has played himself into a borderline top-six role and will be paid accordingly (still probably less than Mikheyev currently makes).

Boeser and Garland have proven too valuable to dump on a salary basis, so that leaves Mikheyev.

Yup.

I expect he will rebound in year 2 post-ACL injury but there's simply no way he's as important to the team as Joshua or Zadorov. Even if we have to sacrifice a 2nd round pick to ship him to SJ or Chicago ... that's a no-brainer decision if it allows us to retain other more important players.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'm not really interested in any of the Maple Leafs' castoffs. A core player? Sure.

Knies and Robertson shouldn't go anywhere. Liljegren has been a disappointment. Only guy from their young player group that I'd be interested in is Connor Timmins and that's so he could play the Noah Juulsen role.
I was admittedly thinking of Knies when I wrote that, but you're right that they'd be dumb to trade him.

For a top pair Dman though, perhaps they might.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

I’m not sure if I agree on Liljegren. He’s a 30+ point dman if healthy, which seems reasonable for a mid 1st?

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I wonder if Tampa is a good trading partner in a Hronek trade. They need an upgrade over Raddysh and Perbix.

Hronek for Cirelli, one of Perbix or Raddysh, and Goncalves is something I’d look at. Jeannot has one more year at $2.6M. Cirelli would be a long term 2C/3C option with his $6.25M x 8 contract and is only 26. He’s a Ryan Kesler type —hard nosed, versatile two way center and can alternate wing.

Getting Cirelli means you don’t have to re sign an older Lindholm at $7M. You can then focus on re signing Joshua, Zadorov, and Blueger, and a RHD UFA stopgap until Willander arrives.

Buyout Mikheyev.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Unfortunately, if we trade Hronek, no one is giving up a young core piece. We'd likely have to take picks and prospects, and then flip them if we want more immediate help.

I wonder if Hronek has more or less value since being acquired. On the one hand, he had a great start to this year and scored almost 50 points, but on the other, he's burned another cost controlled year and is in a pretty precarious contract situation especially to an acquiring team. Probably he's worth less but tough to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00