Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Defensively, he's still been responsible. "Disappeared" to most people = no points. It's really not about what they're watching.

In this "bad stretch", there were multiple instances where a Petey forcecheck created a goal, but he was not credited with a point. Hoglander's goal against Vegas (a bigger, aggressive team that Petey is seemingly "vanishing" against) is an example. Petey does all the work to create that. I agree his play does wane at times, but the criticisms are unrelated to any actual critiques of his play. It's literally only about looking at the boxscore stats, as it usually is for most people.

Hughes absolutely feasts against Vegas, Kings, and as of late, the Oilers.

He still put up numbers one would expect from a top 10 C in the game (despite a revolving door of linemates) and was a solid 200 foot player who was our most effective penalty killing forward. I think the contract situation was a massive distraction and I can't help but wonder if the way it eventually resolved (not suggesting it should have been handled differently by PA/JR) left a slightly bitter aftertaste.
Hughes had 3 points and was -3 in 4 games against LA, 5 points and even in 4 games against Vegas, 8 points and -3 in 8 games total. Add in two high tempo teams from the other div in Colorado and Dallas and you get 11 points and -4 in 14 games. I think it’s fair to question his defensive play in these games.

Pettersson had 2 points and was -1 against LA, 2 points and even against Vegas, 4 points and -1 in 8 games total. Adding in Colorado and Dallas, 5 points and -4 in 14 games. That’s utter dogshit for a player of his calibre.

But high tempo hard checking teams are difficult to play against, which is why we’ve moved to this style this year as well. I think Hughes still has an impact in these games despite his struggles handling the extra press; Pettersson has been outright poor.

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Fantasy Part:

Tage T
Benson

for

Ep40
This is how we know you’re a troll or either really really indescribably delusional. This guy complains about Pettersson disappearing but would rather have a player that’s a year older, sub ppg, and only had 3 decent seasons as an NHLer. Please do everyone a favor and just go away lmao

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Pettersson in his career versus:

Vegas 16gp 7/10/ 17 points
LA 18gp 9/12 21 points
Dallas 14gp 6/8 14 points
Col 14gp 3/10 13 points
No one is debating if Pettersson has played significantly better in previous seasons.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
This is how we know you’re a troll or either really really indescribably delusional. This guy complains about Pettersson disappearing but would rather have a player that’s a year older, sub ppg, and only had 3 decent seasons as an NHLer. Please do everyone a favor and just go away lmao
If you don't know what you're looking for or watching, then sure you would think this.

11.6 M for a 2C is unacceptable. Tage would be the perfect 2C behind Miller. We save 4.5 M in cap and can sign someone like Chandler S for 3 C.

You need size, depth and experience to win. I don’t know you outside of what you occasionally post but maybe you’re just a EP cheerleader who has an emotional attachment to him.

But at 11.6 M with a weak limp wrist and sulking attitude he is liability.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If you don't know what you're looking for or watching, then sure you would thin this.
1713383586280.png

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pettersson had 2 points and was -1 against LA, 2 points and even against Vegas, 4 points and -1 in 8 games total. Adding in Colorado and Dallas, 5 points and -4 in 14 games. That’s utter dogshit for a player of his calibre.
You are truly proving my point. No actual critique of his game.

Literally just pointing at points...and plus/minus, which is even worse. LMAO.

Like, my argument is that the criticisms of Petey are completely detached from his play. Which is why I pointed out his forechecking leading to goals that he didn't get a point on, insight you can get from, y'know actually watching the game.

People don't know what they're watching or looking for. They say Petey is "bad", but to most people, "bad" is completely synonymous with "no points" and pretty much nothing else. All that most people actually look at or care about are boxscore stats. And here you are, literally only pointing at boxscore stats. Incredible.

If you don't know what you're looking for or watching, then sure you would think this.

11.6 M for a 2C is unacceptable. Tage would be the perfect 2C behind Miller. We save 4.5 M in cap and can sign someone like Chandler S for 3 C.

You need size, depth and experience to win. I don’t know you outside of what you occasionally post but maybe you’re just a EP cheerleader who has an emotional attachment to him.

But at 11.6 M with a weak limp wrist and sulking attitude he is liability.
If you want Tage over Petey, you are truly outing yourself as someone who either doesn't watch any games, or doesn't have any clue what you are watching.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It’s the Sedins all over again.

I’m sure just like the Sedins, Pettersson will shut some these folks up.

I'm not sure why it's questionable to criticize Pettersson. He's had 26 points and 8 goals since the all-star break, around a .78/PPG or 64 point, 20 goal pace. Over a 33-game sample size.

That's 75% of his total season goal scoring before February. Maybe he's injured, who knows. But you aren't paying him to be a 20 goal / 64 point player.

It's concerning anyway you cut it.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm not sure why it's questionable to criticize Pettersson. He's had 26 points and 8 goals since the all-star break, around a .78/PPG or 64 point, 20 goal pace. Over a 33-game sample size.

That's 75% of his total season goal scoring before February. Maybe he's injured, who knows. But you aren't paying him to be a 20 goal / 64 point player.

I mean if you take the worst 33 game PPG sample of most top players this season, chances are their numbers won’t look as good. It’s definitely concerning that he’s slumping heading into the playoffs and not driving play like he’s capable of but what I’m seeing is pre-emptive criticism that he’s not a playoff player. Let’s see first. He wouldn’t be the first star player to head into the playoffs slumping but then turns it on.

Also the beauty of a guy with his talent level is that he can look “off” but still produce.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I mean if you take the worst 33 game PPG sample of most top players this season, chances are their numbers won’t look as good. It’s definitely concerning that he’s slumping heading into the playoffs and not driving play like he’s capable of but what I’m seeing is pre-emptive criticism that he’s not a playoff player. Let’s see first. He wouldn’t be the first star player to head into the playoffs slumping but then turns it on.

Also the beauty of a guy with his talent level is that he can look “off” but still produce.

The trend is the problem, if you don't have these slumps you're obviously closer to a 100+ point player like Miller. It's not unusual for PPG players to go through slumps, but most slumps don't last close to half the season. And if you watch him play he doesn't look the same, so as weird as it sounds you almost have to hope it is a nagging bang-up that's bothering him and he'll return to form when he's over it.

It's not like we're talking about a 5-10 game sample size here. At the all-star break, Pettersson was on pace for a 100+ pt season, so the fall-off is pronounced.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Nobody said you can’t criticize him, it’s just f***ing ridiculous some poster talk about him like he’s f***ing Loui.
You don’t see the difference in the level of criticism?
If anything he is playing up to his current contract this season factoring his slump and overall he has been giving surplus value over his contract.

Having a 30ish game slump doesn’t define who he is. I think we are all frustrated that he is not playing at the level he can but calling a f***ing bum and calling to trade him is shortsighted and dumb.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I know he takes heat at times for his line combinations, but I have confidence in this guy. Also, I never get the feeling he's trying to bullshit us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennask

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

Like, my argument is that the criticisms of Petey are completely detached from his play. Which is why I pointed out his forechecking leading to goals that he didn't get a point on, insight you can get from, y'know actually watching the game.

People don't know what they're watching or looking for. They say Petey is "bad", but to most people, "bad" is completely synonymous with "no points" and pretty much nothing else. All that most people actually look at or care about are boxscore stats. And here you are, literally only pointing at boxscore stats. Incredible.

If you want Tage over Petey, you are truly outing yourself as someone who either doesn't watch any games, or doesn't have any clue what you are watching.
I have been extremely critical of his play all season. He’s soft in puck battles and falls over constantly, his shot selection and puck management have been horrendous at times, his demeanour and body language are infuriating. But if you want to excuse all of that along with awful production against good teams because you’re a hockey savant or something, I’m not going to change your mind.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Pettersson has been bad offensively and had really struggled to generate offense over the last couple of months. It’s very obvious and plain to see, and the critique isn’t just stat watching. This isn’t a case where Pettersson has been snake bitten or something.

Has he been “bad” defensively or in all aspects of the game? No. But when you get paid like 8 million dollars a year and just signed a 100 million dollar contract you are expected to be good all around.

And this isn’t the first time Pettersson has struggled for a long period of time offensively. It happened a couple of years ago too.

With all that said I’m confident he will turn it around, but he has proven to be a bit streaky, and dismissing any criticism as stat watching is silly imo.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
It's been 30 years since Linden, McLean and Bure took us to the cup finals. Today, 30 years later, both the Canucks and Rangers are top-tier teams. We played the Rags twice this season. In the first game we dominated the Rangers but the refs handed the Rags a win in overtime. I am still pissed at the officiating in that game. In the second game we again dominated the Rags, but without the help of the refs we won 6-3.

I will never forget the vibe in Vancouver in the spring of 1994. For me, it was the greatest time ever to be a Canucks' fan. It was a great time to be alive. We had a team to be truly proud of.

I will be rooting for the Rags to come out of the East in the hope that an epic rematch takes place, and order is restored to the Universe.

Last edited:

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Pettersson has been bad offensively and had really struggled to generate offense over the last couple of months. It’s very obvious and plain to see, and the critique isn’t just stat watching. This isn’t a case where Pettersson has been snake bitten or something.

Has he been “bad” defensively or in all aspects of the game? No. But when you get paid like 8 million dollars a year and just signed a 100 million dollar contract you are expected to be good all around.

And this isn’t the first time Pettersson has struggled for a long period of time offensively. It happened a couple of years ago too.

With all that said I’m confident he will turn it around, but he has proven to be a bit streaky, and dismissing any criticism as stat watching is silly imo.
I’m surprised that this is a contentious point. If you’ve watched every Canucks game this season and think Pettersson has been good I urge you to re-consider how confident you are in your eye test.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This whole critiquing Petterson’s demeanor is the stupidest shit fans do. Remember how Millet was criticize to hell because he acted like a bum on the ice and now having a 103pt season, those fans are like he’s my bozo.
Truth is people want to see whatever the f*** they want to see. Petey is not playing at the level he can/should, nobody debates that.
People are just critical on how some posters are acting as if Petey “doesn’t care” or is somehow a bum that doesn’t deserve the contract that he has earned based on the entirety of the time here and he doesn’t deserve any benefit of the doubt despite only really having 2 slumps ever in the 6 years he has played for us.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
This whole critiquing Petterson’s demeanor is the stupidest shit fans do. Remember how Millet was criticize to hell because he acted like a bum on the ice and now having a 103pt season, those fans are like he’s my bozo.
Truth is people want to see whatever the f*** they want to see. Petey is not playing at the level he can/should, nobody debates that.
People are just critical on how some posters are acting as if Petey “doesn’t care” or is somehow a bum that doesn’t deserve the contract that he has earned based on the entirety of the time here and he doesn’t deserve any benefit of the doubt despite only really having 2 slumps ever in the 6 years he has played for us.
You can both not care about his demeanour but think he hasn’t played well of late.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Other than like half of the posts on the past 2 pages.
And there is shit that you post micro analyzing body posture pretending to be some armchair psychologist which is straight up dumb

This whole page is literally you and 2 other poster posting why Petey suck. This is not some analysis, this is just you guys saying how he suck.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Nobody said you can’t criticize him, it’s just f***ing ridiculous some poster talk about him like he’s f***ing Loui.
You don’t see the difference in the level of criticism?
If anything he is playing up to his current contract this season factoring his slump and overall he has been giving surplus value over his contract.

Having a 30ish game slump doesn’t define who he is. I think we are all frustrated that he is not playing at the level he can but calling a f***ing bum and calling to trade him is shortsighted and dumb.

Sat makes this argument that his contract doesn't kick-in until next year. I don't really buy it, you signed him to the deal. That contract is on the books, there is every reason to look at him as an $11.6M player because that's what he is for the next eight years.

I don't really see a point in arguing his cap hit for the next 5-or-whatever games the Canucks play this year. I don't want to trade the guy or anything, but if you're not concerned about how he's been playing I'm not sure what to say.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Sat makes this argument that his contract doesn't kick-in until next year. I don't really buy it, you signed him to the deal. That contract is on the books, there is every reason to look at him as an $11.6M player because that's what he is for the next eight years.

He will be a 11.6M player next year, it’s not that hard to understand. We learn future tense back in grade school, this is not some quantum theory shit.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
He will be a 11.6M player next year, it’s not that hard to understand.

Yes but I don't see why that matters at all relative to current performance. You have him on a lower cap hit for literally three months max. You literally just signed him declaring you think he's an $11.6M player. His old contract is rather immaterial.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad