Seravalli: Canucks looking to move Tanner Pearson and or Jason Dickenson

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Radio hit on sportsnet 650

any interest? Realistically if the Canucks hung on to both and waited until next years deadline when their contracts are expiring then they would be able to get a 3/4th round pick for them.. but since theres 2 years left instead of 1 with their contracts i think their value is closer to a late round pick like a 5th or 6th or even a prospect that needs a change of scenery and has stalled in development.

Pearson- Will score 15 goals for you in his sleep. Cup winner with experience. Great in dressing room. Would do well in a top 9 role or a 3rd line checking role that can score goals and kill penalty. 54 goals for Vancouver since 2019.
29 yrs old. 2 yrs left /3.2 mil aav

Jason Dickenson- Terrible transition year for him going from Dallas to Vancouver. Very reliable defensively but was a blackhole on offence. Had a really good Cup run for DAllas 2 seasons ago and played a big role in a shutdown roll. I'm sure there will be teams that will want that version of Dickenson on their team.
26 yrs old. 2 yrs left/2.6mil aav

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I would take either Pearson or Dickinson if it meant getting Garland cheaper.

Why would Canucks want to anchor Garland's value like that?

Garland was our best 5 on 5 player and is 25 yrs old signed for 4 more yrs at 4.9 mil. thats a fantastic contract.

Its not like Dickenson or Pearson are negative value or having massive contract with long terms.

Canucks also dont have a massive cap space crunch that they need to lower Garland's value like that because they are desperate to get rid of a 3.2 mil aav or 2.6 mil aav.

Unfortunately tho, i do think Garland is available for trade is SJ is interested.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Pearson isn’t Dickinson. People should really stop conflating the two. He’s a solid player who should have value. His contract is nothing out of the ordinary for a player of his ilk. Definitely not a negative value asset.

F6-AA52-DB-B74-B-44-C4-93-E6-5-F897-DD71849.jpg

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No kidding.

Neither are cap dumps, but combined they make almost as much as OEL

They also won't fetch anywhere close to Boeser/Miller/Garland, but they might all stick around if one or both of Dickinson or Pearson are moved.

Reactions: biturbo19

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
another rumor out of new jersey.

you can clearly see those guys are connected in the whole league.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I like Tanner. We need guys like him. Has some sandpaper as well. These seem like stupid rumours from radio guys trying to fill airtime in a Canadian market. Just idiotic that every guy is "potentially" on the move.

Dickinson is negative value imo. The two should not be in the same sentence. Guy is just a terrible fit in Van.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Tanner Pearson is actually a useful player. If a team has cap room for him he's a good add.

I forget Jason Dickinson exists even when he's taking a shift on the ice. If somebody is looking to burn $2.65 million on absolutely nothing then he's your guy.

I wouldnt dismiss Dickenson right away, he came into a transition year and new team that fired its coach and GM halfway through.

He was very very solid in the cup run for Dallas. He's a solid checking shutdown 3rd line winger.

Offensively a blackhole i agree.. 2.6 isnt alot though.

Reactions: Cogburn

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why would Canucks want to anchor Garland's value like that?

Garland was our best 5 on 5 player and is 25 yrs old signed for 4 more yrs at 4.9 mil. thats a fantastic contract.

Its not like Dickenson or Pearson are negative value or having massive contract with long terms.

Canucks also dont have a massive cap space crunch that they need to lower Garland's value like that because they are desperate to get rid of a 3.2 mil aav or 2.6 mil aav.

Unfortunately tho, i do think Garland is available for trade is SJ is interested.
I'm not saying that they would or should. I'm saying I would take someone like Dickinson if it meant getting Garland for cheaper. I don't think it would nosedive Garland's return. I think it would probably make it to where a team like the Sharks wouldn't have to make their 11th overall pick available if he's added to such a deal. I'm not certain there is a deal there if Dickinson is added to Garland that makes sense but it's possible. Pearson, I agree he isn't a negative value asset. Dickinson is even if there's only two years left there. The Sharks have someone like Radim Simek who has two years but he's not going to return anything other than someone like Dickinson with a similar term but isn't very good unless there's some sort of sweetener type of deal.

If the Canucks are looking to do significant changes to their roster because they dislike their makeup, getting rid of Dickinson would be a good idea but they would need to buy him out which is manageable or pay someone to take him in some form or fashion. Pearson they should have no problems getting at least a 3rd round pick for but even guys like Dickinson at his rate are hard to move for no cap.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Radio hit on sportsnet 650

any interest? Realistically if the Canucks hung on to both and waited until next years deadline when their contracts are expiring then they would be able to get a 3/4th round pick for them.. but since theres 2 years left instead of 1 with their contracts i think their value is closer to a late round pick like a 5th or 6th or even a prospect that needs a change of scenery and has stalled in development.

Pearson- Will score 15 goals for you in his sleep. Cup winner with experience. Great in dressing room. Would do well in a top 9 role or a 3rd line checking role that can score goals and kill penalty. 54 goals for Vancouver since 2019.
29 yrs old. 2 yrs left /3.2 mil aav

Jason Dickenson- Terrible transition year for him going from Dallas to Vancouver. Very reliable defensively but was a blackhole on offence. Had a really good Cup run for DAllas 2 seasons ago and played a big role in a shutdown roll. I'm sure there will be teams that will want that version of Dickenson on their team.
26 yrs old. 2 yrs left/2.6mil aav

Neither would end up with a top 10-12 team. Think more the middle of the puck teams that can afford a $3 mill 3rd liner for 2 years.

That’s the trade target destination. To teams that are looking to add vets at reasonable term. Not doing the stupid Jim Benning special of giving 4 years to a Beagle/Rousell in free agency.

Like what Detroit did with Leddy. Rented him for 60 games for a 2nd and flipped him to Stl to get a 2nd back.

Ott tried that with stepan but they over paid for him with a 2nd to start off and he got hurt was wasn’t tradable.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Pearsons a really good middle 6 player, strong along the boards. Bit of a streaky scorer but when he's on can put together great stretches, & is good for 15-20 annually. Turning Gudbransons contact into him might've been Bennings best move.

If someone really wants Pearson & will give up something worthwhile it would make sense. Potential win-win trade imo.

Best case scenario with Dickinson is a 'problem for problem' type move, otherwise bring him back in a checking role & forget about him ever being a C.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pearson rebounded last year. Canucks need to move Dickinson and Poolman
Poolman is unlikely given that he spent almost all the second half of the year on ltir due to migraines. He returns but ended up back on ltir shortly afterwards. No team will take him until they are sure he’s going to be fine. Patrick returned a whole season with Phi before he was dealt. Would expect the same for Poolman.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If the price was right, maybe the Leafs would have an interest in Dickinson.

Mrazek going the other way?

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Good thing we have "Insiders". I mean between this and the "news" that the Canucks were trying to find a market for OEL - I mean I never would have figured on any of that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No kidding.

Neither are cap dumps, but combined they make almost as much as OEL

They also won't fetch anywhere close to Boeser/Miller/Garland, but they might all stick around if one or both of Dickinson or Pearson are moved.

This is the trick with Pearson and Dickinson that makes for a bit of a messy situation.

Neither of them are terrible players, or on egregiously bad, or long-term contracts. They can both be useful contributors in a Top-9/Bottom-6 role respectively. But they're also sort of "luxury" spends in their respective roles, that the Canucks can't really afford to spend on right now.

Unfortunately, with cap space pretty tight around the league, the list of potential suitors who could afford those sort of contracts in those roles is somewhat limited.

Pearson is still a useful Top-9 Filler with good size and a bit of grit. He can pretty reliably pot 15-20G for you and telescope up and down between your 1st 2nd and 3rd lines as a complementary piece as needed without being completely out of his depth. That's not really unreasonable @ $3.25M...but it's not a "value" deal either. And it's a role where a lot of teams would just prefer to let a younger / ELC type player try to run out some rope for cheaper instead. And he's not really good enough, or dynamic enough to want as a fixture in your Top-6. So he's sort of a "Luxury 7th Forward".

Tough to move, outside of an expiring contract deadline deal. But the catch is that he's also not nearly bad enough or expensive enough to view as a "cap dump" where you're adding a sweetener to get rid of a guy who can absolutely still contribute to your team.

Dickinson had a bit of a rough go with Vancouver. Didn't seem to fit very well, especially offensively. Got sort of shoehorned into a role that isn't really right for him, in a system that didn't seem to jive with his game. But he's got years in the bank of being a really useful Bottom-9 "Swiss Army Knife" type player. No reason to think that in a better situational fit, he couldn't quickly return to the sort of utility that he offered in Dallas. But again, his contract is a little bit on the "premium" end for that sort of utility player. Most teams (including the Canucks) would prefer to staff that role with a younger and cheaper player where possible (even if there are a few more ups and downs).

It's the same situation, where having a few of those sort of contracts really starts to add up for the Canucks. But not individually bad enough, or enough of a problem to actually treat them as a cap dump and give up an asset to get rid of a useful player.

I still think guys like Pearson + Dickinson could have some value (however marginal) to certain teams. Particularly to teams that have trouble landing their choice of UFAs. Unfortunately, that makes it the sort of deal that likely has to happen after that first wave of Free Agent Frenzy rolls over. Once teams can step back and assess whether they've landed the veterans they want that way or not. That adds timeline complications to the whole thing for Vancouver.

But these aren't guys like Tucker Poolman, who is a straight up Cap Dump. On an absolutely bizarre, awful contract. They're just guys caught in an awkward luxury market, for middling "filler" players.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I like Tanner Pearson but he needs to find that next gear, hopefully he can stay healthy too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad