Line Combos: Canucks Line-Up Discussion (Assuming No More Trades)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Hm. So, Miller is going to be used in the higher leverage defensive role?

Reactions: LordBacon

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Hm. So, Miller is going to be used in the higher leverage defensive role?

Pearson Miller Mikheyev
Kuzmenko Pettersson Boeser?

Not sure I read into that tweet too much. I think it’ll still be Horvat used as the high leverage line.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, maybe just do both. Boeser and Podkolzin as the spadework guy, and to keep the pace and intensity of that line up. If it works well, maybe that's a trio you can lock in, instead of just a duo. Let the rest float accordingly among the other pair of duos.

Hoglander seems like he could bring some pace and intensity too though. Kuzmenko, honestly who knows, but possibly. I think Pearson would be a bad fit with Pettersson+Boeser, but that's pretty obvious and i'm not sure how much more you can really glean from things.
Yep, I agree with all of this. Offsetting Boeser's bad habits by having Podkolzin on the other side could work well.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Kuzmenko - Miller - Boeser

Hogs - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Mikheyev - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Lazar - Joshua

(Dickinson, Lockwood)

or

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Dickinson - Lazar - Joshua

(Hogs, Lockwood)

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I know Dickinson is dead cap if he doesn’t play, but he really brings nothing and I’d rather he just not play at all.

Reactions: LordBacon

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Based on training camp and BB's comments, here is your opening night roster

Pearson-Miller-Boeser
Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Mikeheyev
Garland-Horvat-Podkolzin
Joshua-Dickinson-Lazar

OEL-Hughes
Myers-Dekeyeser
Rathbone-Schenn
Dermott-Poolman

Not sure how the defence will shape up yet

On a separate note, looks like Hoglander is lining up with Aman and Karlsson which makes me think he is starting in the AHL if he doesn't impress.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Interesting that Myers is the "odd man out". I'm sure he'll swap back with OEL after Hughes gets a few reps in on the right but lol even the coaches know he can't play with anyone

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Pearson - Miller - Boeser
Kuz - Petey - Mikheyev
Garland - Bo - Podz
Joshua - Dick - Lazar

As I posted in the training cap thread, I like this lineup with Hogs as the 13th forward, and subbing in for a lot of the games.

I also would like to see how it would work with Podz and Mikheyev switched. Pods more physical which would help EP, and Garland Bo Mikheyev would be an absolute bitch to play against.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
For anyone who hasn't seen. The line up on day one based on skating groups/lines:

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev
Garland - Horvat - Podkolzin
Joshua - Dickinson - Lazar
(Hoglander odd man out)

Ekman-Larsson - Hughes
Dekeyser - Myers
Rathbone - Schenn
Dermott - Poolman

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
For anyone who hasn't seen. The line up on day one based on skating groups/lines:

(Hoglander odd man out)

Ekman-Larsson - Hughes
Dekeyser - Myers
Rathbone - Schenn
Dermott - Poolman
Hogs not in the top 9 demonstrates the depth at forward..He’s not your prototypical 4th liner,explaining why he isn’t there..

Nice luxury to have a player that good as your 13th forward

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hogs not in the top 9 demonstrates the depth at forward..He’s not your prototypical 4th liner,explaining why he isn’t there..

Nice luxury to have a player that good as your 13th forward
Long term wise he needs ice time. He’s like 22 going on 23. Not 26 with 5 years in the NA pros.

He’s with a pair of Swedes. Maybe they find some chemistry together. There are 9 nhl forwards on the top 3 lines. Can drop Pearson down into the 4th line if needed and take one of those wingers out.

Key for BB is what he sees from Kuz, Mik, Gar, Hog. Those are the ones BB probably hasn’t figured out exactly how to use for the top 9.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

(Hoglander odd man out)

Ekman-Larsson - Hughes
Dekeyser - Myers
Rathbone - Schenn
Dermott - Poolman

I saw that. Seems odd but I guess we'll see how things shake out.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I really think petey and kuzmenko wind up building chemestry.

Pearson - Miller - Garland
Kuzmenko - Petey - Makayev
Podkolzin - Horvat - Boeser
Lazar - Karlsson - Hoglander

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Myers
Dermott - Strallman

Demko
Martin

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Hoglander on the fourth line :(

After such a strong rookie year and opening month last season, I feel like he's got dealt a shit hand by the coaching staff and never recovered. At this rate, he's heading to bustville and I strongly feel if he was handled right, that wouldn't be the case.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

After such a strong rookie year and opening month last season, I feel like he's got dealt a shit hand by the coaching staff and never recovered. At this rate, he's heading to bustville and I strongly feel if he was handled right, that wouldn't be the case.
His "development" has been horrible and idk how anyone could argue otherwise.
This year is rather pivotal.

Reactions: Kevinsane

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hogs will be more than fine. He wasn't even projected to be in the NHL yet, but he forced himself onto the team. There were long stretches in his rookie year where our offensive drivers were solely him and Boeser, regardless of minutes or linemates.

Watching all the clips to get hyped for the season, and Hoglander is the one that stands out. He doesn't have that finish yet, but he just generates all these little chances out of thin air.

It's only been 2 shortened seasons for him, and he's a workaholic. Breakout incoming.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Why the hell is a washed up Dekyser even considered getting playing time?

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Im really excited to see us have so many options at forward this year. There’s so many potential iterations. I really like:

Kuzmenko - Miller - Boeser
Podz - Petey - Hogz
Mikhaev - Horvat - Garland
Pearson - Lazar - Joshua

Moonshot option id like to try in preseason is seeing how Joshua would do being a menace on Pettersons line:

Podz - Miller - Boeser
Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Joshua
Mikhaev - Horvat - Garland
Pearson - Lazar - Hogz

I think the best part is watching people post ten different options and thinking “hey that’s also a good option”. It’s definitely a nice
Feeling to start the season.

Do Canucks fans think they are actually making the playoffs?
It’s certainly possible. They were an excellent team on the back half of last year and have improved their forward group. I don’t think anyone would call it a sure thing, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them challenging for one of the last spots.

Reactions: Play

cc

Feb 28, 2002

(Hoglander odd man out)

Ekman-Larsson - Hughes
Dekeyser - Myers
Rathbone - Schenn
Dermott - Poolman
For the forward group, this was pretty much what I thought the line up would be except I said I would eventually switch Mikheyev with Podkolzin when Pod further establishes his 2 way game. I think Pod thinks the game offensively better than Mikheyev so it would ultimately be better for EP.

Also, I made Joshua the odd man out instead of Hog but I guess ideally, I'd like Hog on the top 9 so it's fine even if has to play in the AHL for a bit to get his confidence. When there's the eventual injury to a top 9 player, he should be able to step in and make an impact.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, I generally agree.

He looked set to take off at the start of last year and was handled horrendously by Green and his confidence broke, and I don't think the new managers or coaches ever really got a look a Hoglander at his best - instead, they got to see a struggling player who also struggled at the defensive end of the ice. And fair enough not being impressed.

Problem is the amount of depth that's now ahead of him. Unless there are significant injury issues, it's going to be hard for him to play himself back up the lineup, and he isn't really a 4th line type guy.

Coming off a serious injury and surgery also isn't going to help. It's unlikely he's at 100% either physically or mentally right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuckking1

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The average fan, absolutely. They've convinced themselves that the Canucks are a guaranteed playoff team every season and everyone else in the division is overrated.

Here? Most are cautiously optimistic. I think everyone expects Calgary, LA, Edmonton, Blues, Wild, and Avalanche to be playoff teams. That leaves the Canucks fighting the Jets, Predators, Stars, and Golden Knights fighting each other. Could argue the Kings and Blues are flawed and should be in the second tier as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they finished as high as 2nd in the division nor would I be shocked if they were one of the bottom teams from this list.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Vector

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Im not sure why he couldnt play 4th line.. hes quick, quick stick can forecheck and create turnovers but his attention needs to improve between his blueline and the hash marks

Also having him start in abbotsford is not an indictment of his future, it can be approached as you need minutes and you need to improve in these things..

Hes 22

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I dont think that Hogs needs to go to Abby..There's going to injuries, and he can slot right in to any line in the top 9...and if he impresses, he wont ever be out of the lineup.

I dont really buy into the Green ruined his confidence narrative (Hog had his best season under him)..In the first 25 games last season, almost all of the forwards were underachieving...When Boudreau took over , he demanded a different type of defensive responsibility than what Green had implemented...Hog struggled with it.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

Hoglander is 8th overall in points out of the 2019 draft. Way too early for bustville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad