Canucks havent figured out their rebuild

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I'm just thinking about where we would be if we had a different direction even with Jim's ****** trading skills.

Even if Jim absolutely blew all of those trades as outlined above, we would still be up a conservative 6 2nd round picks and a good number of later round picks and honestly I don't think the losses of Granlund, Dorsett, Sutter, Sbisa, Gudbranson, Pedan, and even Hansen come close to matching the value of what we could have gained even with incompetent trading by standing pat and holding onto our players. Our team wouldn't be very competitive but over the next two-three years I think the outlook would be much better.

Plus there's the confidence in supporting something you know has to be done and is in fact, being done properly. No one is saying get rid of every player, simply get the team playing an upbeat style so it's interesting watching games, and then get excited for all the young players drafted still playing in junior, the AHL and one or two with the Canucks.

What we've got now is a boring product that pretty much everyone knows will be nowhere close to competing for the Cup, and having to deal with a terrible lack of depth ... injuries you know that are going to happen will once again be the reason given for the teams failures. It's sadly predictable.

I actually expect the team to start the season fairly well, but will be done just after the trade deadline. ie Just after they've "loaded up" for the playoffs. ha ha.

Hope I'm wrong, and they're either much much better than I'm seeing, or they end up at the bottom of the league.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Conventional wisdom is that you can't re-build on the fly, but then you have to ponder last season's San Jose Sharks...missed the playoffs two season ago, and everybody said both Thornton and Marleau were done (see Sedins) and it was time to tear it down....but a few judicious off-season signings like the goalie Martin Jones and Joel Ward, and some young guys coming out of nowhere, and suddenly they're in the Cup finals....just not sure anymore.

A couple of significant differences:

a) The Sharks just missed the playoffs the year they missed; we were 3rd lowest in the standings this past year. (And depending on where you stand, things could have been even worse for us)

b) The Sharks had a "second wave" beyond their Sedin comparables (Thornton & Marleau) in Couture and Pavelski; we do not. I suppose at one point we did, but we've either frittered them away or seen them decline.

c) The Sharks, as you said, stumbled across some great finds in players such as Donskoi or Karlsson. We *could*, but the jury is out on that... these "flyers" on unheralded guys bomb about as much as they succeed. Sharks have gotten lucky, we mustn't count on similar success

d) The Sharks had greater depth than we do (and I'd argue they lost because they STILL weren't deep enough and ran out of gas)... we're one injury away from a Luca Sbisa in our top four

e) This last point of mine is probably *highly* debateable, but I'd argue the Sharks had more consistent goaltending than we did. At least when it counted. With that said, goaltending was one of precious few bright spots last year... I just think Jones merited Smythe consideration, especially for his work in keeping a tired Sharks team in the Finals

I would also submit that it's pretty unusual for a team like San Jose to make their first deep run into the playoffs with many of their top players well into their 30s. They got hot at the right time and rid themselves of the shackles of a rep as playoff chokers. Doesn't change the fact that it's a young man's game nowadays, and that, to my eyes at least, it's unlikely they go on another Cinderella-type run

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
Plus there's the confidence in supporting something you know has to be done and is in fact, being done properly. No one is saying get rid of every player, simply get the team playing an upbeat style so it's interesting watching games, and then get excited for all the young players drafted still playing in junior, the AHL and one or two with the Canucks.

What we've got now is a boring product that pretty much everyone knows will be nowhere close to competing for the Cup, and having to deal with a terrible lack of depth ... injuries you know that are going to happen will once again be the reason given for the teams failures. It's sadly predictable.

I actually expect the team to start the season fairly well, but will be done just after the trade deadline. ie Just after they've "loaded up" for the playoffs. ha ha.

Hope I'm wrong, and they're either much much better than I'm seeing, or they end up at the bottom of the league.
The scary thing is that I think the year before last is as good as it gets as far as entertainment value with this particular team.
I hate the injury excuse. Every year teams lose impact players and core players to injury but not everyone finishes in the bottom 3. I think Steven Stamkos being missing for as long as he was when he had his tibia injury is worse than missing Edler and Sutter

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I hate the injury excuse. Every year teams lose impact players and core players to injury but not everyone finishes in the bottom 3. I think Steven Stamkos being missing for as long as he was when he had his tibia injury is worse than missing Edler and Sutter

Injuries are an acceptable excuse for me if it causes your team to fail in the playoffs. Okay, i get it, you're not getting to the conference finals if Crosby's on the shelf.

But if injuries cause you to miss the playoffs, that's a sign of bad team and organizational depth. IMO getting ruined by injuries is not a saving grace buy an is an indictment on Jim Benning.

Garrison, Kassian, Santorelli, Bonino, Richardson and Matthias were all good depth players that were exiled in favour of expensive and ineffective replacements.

Further, He uses the farm on Utica like it's an express credit card, trading away what would be quality call ups for replacement level NHL players. How much better are your contending chances if you're not trading or fast tracking prospects and instead holding them in reserve in the AHL? Next year we could have had Virtanen, McCann, Hutton, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk on call if someone went down.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
A couple of significant differences:

a) The Sharks just missed the playoffs the year they missed; we were 3rd lowest in the standings this past year. (And depending on where you stand, things could have been even worse for us)

b) The Sharks had a "second wave" beyond their Sedin comparables (Thornton & Marleau) in Couture and Pavelski; we do not. I suppose at one point we did, but we've either frittered them away or seen them decline.

c) The Sharks, as you said, stumbled across some great finds in players such as Donskoi or Karlsson. We *could*, but the jury is out on that... these "flyers" on unheralded guys bomb about as much as they succeed. Sharks have gotten lucky, we mustn't count on similar success

d) The Sharks had greater depth than we do (and I'd argue they lost because they STILL weren't deep enough and ran out of gas)... we're one injury away from a Luca Sbisa in our top four

e) This last point of mine is probably *highly* debateable, but I'd argue the Sharks had more consistent goaltending than we did. At least when it counted. With that said, goaltending was one of precious few bright spots last year... I just think Jones merited Smythe consideration, especially for his work in keeping a tired Sharks team in the Finals

I would also submit that it's pretty unusual for a team like San Jose to make their first deep run into the playoffs with many of their top players well into their 30s. They got hot at the right time and rid themselves of the shackles of a rep as playoff chokers. Doesn't change the fact that it's a young man's game nowadays, and that, to my eyes at least, it's unlikely they go on another Cinderella-type run

All great points. I find it funny how some people think there are actually valid comparisons between us and the Sharks, like we have a Pavelski just waiting to score 40 goals and clutch up in playoffs or a Brent Burns to finish as a Norris nominee. It's like they can't see beyond the Thornton-Marleau = Sedins parallel and completely miss the rest of the team. It's a ludicrously inaccurate comparison that people have latched onto for no other reason than desperation to believe that what Benning is trying to do has some chance of success.

It's farcical.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
It has never really been a rebuild, it was an attempt to re-tool on the fly that turned into an attempt to keep his job.

It seemed like it started as bringing in younger player and fill an age gap. For me, the Shinkurak trade signaled (maybe the Sutter trade) a shift in focus. Not worried about tomorrow and only focused on today.

Olli Juolevi

Jun 25, 2016
Hamburg, Germany
Great post. Agreed with most of what you said.

We're in the same pile as the old consistent contenders such as SJ, STL, WAS because:
a) they've never won a cup in recent memory or ever
b) And often remembered as not doing well in the playoffs:

Boston and Anaheim are joining the above group as their core age too just cause North Americans need to win a cup in like 2 to 5 years or they're forgotten. Haha

Another group of contenders are the young emerging teams such as FLA & DAL & WPG, was WAS, now TOR, CGY, and EDM.

We need miracles. Lots of them. I know I'll be watching and cheering them on. Prolly shouldn't draft many Canucks in your hockey pool though =)

But it's not likely or unlikely to go either way as we cannot foresee the future with a crystal ball, right

We are not a consistent contender ... we lack any kind of positional depth necessary to be a contender. Not to mention we still have tire fires of junk on this team that JB traded for (Dorset. Sutter. Sbisa. Granlund. Etc). He sold the farm/prospect depth to ice a ****ier roster than Gillis did.

We need to maximize our picks/prospects and throw out this notion that this team is a "contender". Its not. At its best its a first round exit or just outside the playoffs. How can you have the stomach to watch a team like that for another 4-6 years? Why not gather some picks in the top 3 like most logical teams would do and generate some much needed hope for the franchise (Sedin, Bure, Linden level talent)?

Olli Juolevi

Jun 25, 2016
Hamburg, Germany
It has never really been a rebuild, it was an attempt to re-tool on the fly that turned into an attempt to keep his job.

It seemed like it started as bringing in younger player and fill an age gap. For me, the Shinkurak trade signaled (maybe the Sutter trade) a shift in focus. Not worried about tomorrow and only focused on today.

I never really understood any of his trades, go back to his very first draft day.

He trades Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa and a 1st.
That screams to me he doesn't see the big picture and instead of trading him for futures he traded for fringe NHL players that ANA didn't even want on their roster.

3rd for Dorset ... Again trading the future for somebody he could have got in FA

Garrison for 2nd for Vey for nothing ... I can sort of see the logic but not really this was a stupid trade

His roster for 2014-2015 was fine because it had leftover talent from Gillis. He could have traded for futures at the deadline ( Mathais 20g season, Richardson, etc) but didn't.

Kassian and 5th for Prust - **** this

Sutter and a swap of picks for Bonino, (Forsling in value), 2nd -- wtf is this 2nd doing here and why do we have to trade down in picks? Horrible trade and signals he doesn't care about futures or value only his make believe "character traits" and "foundationalism" whatever the **** that means.

Bieksa trade for 2nd is fine w/e

Shink for Granlund has been well documented as b.s. and unnecessary for deadline day

Gudbranson and 5th for McCann, 2nd 4th
This makes no sense, we need prospect depth and he ******* trades it away.

I've really only liked his drafting so far everything else is a tire fire. Demote JB to head scout and hire a competent GM.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I never really understood any of his trades, go back to his very first draft day.

He trades Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa and a 1st.
That screams to me he doesn't see the big picture and instead of trading him for futures he traded for fringe NHL players that ANA didn't even want on their roster.

3rd for Dorset ... Again trading the future for somebody he could have got in FA

Garrison for 2nd for Vey for nothing ... I can sort of see the logic but not really this was a stupid trade

His roster for 2014-2015 was fine because it had leftover talent from Gillis. He could have traded for futures at the deadline ( Mathais 20g season, Richardson, etc) but didn't.

Kassian and 5th for Prust - **** this

Sutter and a swap of picks for Bonino, (Forsling in value), 2nd -- wtf is this 2nd doing here and why do we have to trade down in picks? Horrible trade and signals he doesn't care about futures or value only his make believe "character traits" and "foundationalism" whatever the **** that means.

Bieksa trade for 2nd is fine w/e

Shink for Granlund has been well documented as b.s. and unnecessary for deadline day

Gudbranson and 5th for McCann, 2nd 4th
This makes no sense, we need prospect depth and he ******* trades it away.

I've really only liked his drafting so far everything else is a tire fire. Demote JB to head scout and hire a competent GM.

For me the logic stopped at the Dorsett/Sbisa re-signings.

You follow the transaction lines down from even the first Kesler deal and it's just a steady stream of paring down assets further and further.

Olli Juolevi

Jun 25, 2016
Hamburg, Germany
For me the logic stopped at the Dorsett/Sbisa re-signings.

You follow the transaction lines down from even the first Kesler deal and it's just a steady stream of paring down assets further and further.

He's doing a tear down of the team but instead of maximizing assets and value he just depreciates his team's value more and more. Like he is pretty much banking on his drafting to save himself but he hasn't made nearly enough picks in the top 100 of the draft.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
All great points. I find it funny how some people think there are actually valid comparisons between us and the Sharks, like we have a Pavelski just waiting to score 40 goals and clutch up in playoffs or a Brent Burns to finish as a Norris nominee. It's like they can't see beyond the Thornton-Marleau = Sedins parallel and completely miss the rest of the team. It's a ludicrously inaccurate comparison that people have latched onto for no other reason than desperation to believe that what Benning is trying to do has some chance of success.

It's farcical.

A lot of fans simply don't know a lot about other teams. A Canucks fan (or a fan of any team) isn't necessarily a hockey fan. What can ya do.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

It's farcical.

Yeah, for sure. I mean, I'm probably a bit more "on the fence" or whatever about Benning than you are (though I certainly also dislike the man and his apparent mandate to "retool" on the fly) but I would have to agree that the comparisons are laughable...

I was thinking a bit more about it and some of the other reaches people tend to make in comparing our two teams... seeing as I can't sleep, what the hell, I'll keep rambling in the event someone else finds it relevant/interesting/whathaveyou

a) On defense, perhaps the two teams have a comparable top end. They have Burns/Vlasic, we have Edler/Tanev; I won't get into semantics here as people seem to have very different ideas of what constitutes a #1 d-man ~ let's just call them "top pairing guys".

What the Canucks don't have in their top pairing guys is the dynamic element of a Brent Burns type player... and no, I'm not just referring to the legendary - albeit also mildly off-putting - Sasquatch beard... the element Burns brings to their power play, or the ability to almost function as a fourth forward, it cannot be understated. It's one of the primary reasons they went as deep as they did IMO. Burns is as important a player as the Sharks have.

(I also would argue that their other top end guy is significantly better than either of ours, that Vlasic *is* a #1, or at least a #1a who can carry a pairing... but I won't really push that agenda here)

b) And in continuing the defense theme, the Sharks also had guys like Paul Martin and Justin Braun. They had phenomenal support for their top guys, and could build two very solid pairings. We just let our Paul Martin comparable in Hamhuis walk for nothing. (Honestly, *that* pained me as much as any of our other moves, non-moves or attempted moves of late!) But whatever, it's done, and there seems such a varied number of views on Dan and his play on these forums that I won't spend a great deal of time on this.

As for our Braun comparable, I'm not sure we really have one... at least one of similar ability & quality... Gudbranson honestly probably compares more as a Polak, albeit a more "intangible'd" one with with better skating, who represents less of an offensive black hole; or, if you're more generous, perhaps a Dillon.

Hutton might be the closest thing we have to a Braun comparable, but I daresay that's a bit of a reach right now. I really like the guy, and I was as encouraged by his progression this year as the next guy, but this management team consistently writes down names in pen where they should probably write them in pencil (translation - they bet against the odds). There's no guarantee his progression continues in such an orderly, linear fashion this year; and even if he *does* step into a full-time top 4 role *now* and relatively hiccup-free, it'll be a while before he approaches a Braun-level of defensive dependability. (Granted, Braun has a few years on him...)

c) The Sharks were ridiculously healthy throughout their run (so were the Pens, for that matter). There was certainly an element of luck to that, but it's also hard to argue that it's not pretty much a given that many of our blueliners will miss some fairly significant time due to injury.

d) Furthermore, in terms of coaching and management, our teams are night and day different. While I think Wilson makes his share of meatheaded moves - such as the Polak deal - he also seems to possess an uncanny ability to sniff out free agents. Joel Ward, for example, is a very underrated playoff player, versatile and great depth. He's made his share of gambles - the Jones deal and even the Burns deal (which saw him surrender valuable pieces at the time) - but they were always calculated. Benning & Co, as I alluded to earlier, like to bet against the odds. At best, they seem to break even (i.e. Baertschi tracking decently as a middle six guy with the potential for more or Etem providing a warm body who could *maybe* become a poor man's pre-2016 Jannik Hansen)... at worst, they bleed value and show about as much direction & foresight as a schizophrenic Maggie the Monkey

As for coaching, I simply see Desjardins as overwhelmed and inadequate for this level. DeBoer has his flaws but he came in and seemed to push all the right buttons in San Jose. He's now made a couple of runs to the Finals, so it's pretty hard to argue he doesn't have some level of coaching acumen

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think it's a stupid article. It starts off saying Benning is hellbent on making a push to make the playoffs. It suggests management is resistant to a rebuild. Doesn't that mean "The Canucks" have figured out their rebuild? It just isn't the type of rebuild some fans want.

People just disagree with it, but Benning's message has been consistent. It has always been to compete for the playoffs while getting younger. Last year the team went too far the other way and combined with injuries it led to disastrous results on the ice. In case anyone haven't noticed, Benning has been turning over the old core. The oldest Canucks Dman is now 30 years old. Up front, only the Sedins, Burrows, and Hansen remain as part of the old core, and obviously if Benning had his way Burrows would be gone too.

A lot of people blame this management group but there has been strong rumors that ownership doesn't not want a tear down rebuild. So let me ask you, if you went in to interview to be the Canucks GM and you were told that a tear down rebuild is not acceptable, would you have taken the job? Would you say yes when asked the question, "Can you retool/rebuild this team into Cup contenders while competing for the playoffs every year?" If I was Benning, I would say yes and believe in my abilities. I would tell Linden that what I believe is the best course of action, but if that is not feasible we will just have to do things a different way. As long as I feel that I would be given the tools and autonomy to do my job it's fair that I would have to work within the parameters of what the boss wants.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The team was bound to get younger no matter who was in charge. We've had 3 top 10 picks in the last 4 years. This is a basement team that overachieved in one season and then came crashing down to earth in the next. Unless we get lucky next year will be more of the same. This team is not becoming competitive and because that is the stated goal it should be seen as a failure. Couple that with the disguisting amount of picks and prospects that have been moved during Benning's tenure and I don't believe either goal is being achieved. We don't have a good prospect pool when considering how well this team has done over the past few years and we have one of the worst NHL rosters in the league.

Retooling on the fly is a tough task but Benning has hilariously messed it up with his execution to the point where it's no longer possible.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The team was bound to get younger no matter who was in charge. We've had 3 top 10 picks in the last 4 years. This is a basement team that overachieved in one season and then came crashing down to earth in the next. Unless we get lucky next year will be more of the same. This team is not becoming competitive and because that is the stated goal it should be seen as a failure. Couple that with the disguisting amount of picks and prospects that have been moved during Benning's tenure and I don't believe either goal is being achieved. We don't have a good prospect pool when considering how well this team has done over the past few years and we have one of the worst NHL rosters in the league.

Retooling on the fly is a tough task but Benning has hilariously messed it up with his execution to the point where it's no longer possible.

So if this team has had 3 top 10 picks in the last 4 years isn't that a good thing for the rebuild? This team isn't a basement team. You want to bet the Canucks won't finish in the bottom 5 next season?

I think the Canucks' prospect pool is middle of the pack, which is a huge improvement from what it was in previous years. Oh and funny thing about prospect pools. Recent draft picks who are in the NHL don't count as prospects.

DanCloutiersFiveHole

Sep 19, 2014
Vancouver
Injuries are an acceptable excuse for me if it causes your team to fail in the playoffs. Okay, i get it, you're not getting to the conference finals if Crosby's on the shelf.

But if injuries cause you to miss the playoffs, that's a sign of bad team and organizational depth. IMO getting ruined by injuries is not a saving grace buy an is an indictment on Jim Benning.

Garrison, Kassian, Santorelli, Bonino, Richardson and Matthias were all good depth players that were exiled in favour of expensive and ineffective replacements.

Further, He uses the farm on Utica like it's an express credit card, trading away what would be quality call ups for replacement level NHL players. How much better are your contending chances if you're not trading or fast tracking prospects and instead holding them in reserve in the AHL? Next year we could have had Virtanen, McCann, Hutton, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk on call if someone went down.
Exactly. Over an 82 game schedule injuries are a ****** excuse. Most teams will have them at some point. Playoffs are a different story because timing is everything

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
My problem which JB is not "trying to rebuild on the fly". Because I think it's definitely doable, tanking isn't the only way.
However, a successful "rebuild on the fly" requires great pro scouting and assets management, which neither does JB has.
If Awualini refuses to tear down the team, then atleast hire someone who's good at pro scouting and trades negotiating

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Edmonton hasn't tried a scorched earth rebuild for 12 years. Check your facts. Also nobody is saying tanking automatically makes you a contender. I know its hard for alot of you to wrap your a head around that. You obviously need competent managment. But that doesn't fit your narrative so obviously you don't bring that up right...

Also have all the competitive culture you want. But with this team we're going to eventually have to do a full on rebuild. Either by choice of by force it will happen. It's just a matter of when. In the meantime you guys can enjoy supporting this clown managment and ownership group.

Nicely put.

Edmonton was overcome by bad management. They did not tank or choose to set out on a rebuild. It happened to them and they did not know what to do when they got there. Much hilarity ensued.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
tl;dr:

You know 'the rebuild' is a farce because they whole damn thing will come crashing down on itself the moment the Sedins retire. Their is no future after them and that hasn't changed in five years.

The twins are great, I love them, but right now they're letting this regime prop up a paper tiger. edit: The Medicine Hate Paper Tigers

Freudian slip?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think it's a stupid article. It starts off saying Benning is hellbent on making a push to make the playoffs. It suggests management is resistant to a rebuild. Doesn't that mean "The Canucks" have figured out their rebuild? It just isn't the type of rebuild some fans want.

People just disagree with it, but Benning's message has been consistent. It has always been to compete for the playoffs while getting younger. Last year the team went too far the other way and combined with injuries it led to disastrous results on the ice. In case anyone haven't noticed, Benning has been turning over the old core. The oldest Canucks Dman is now 30 years old. Up front, only the Sedins, Burrows, and Hansen remain as part of the old core, and obviously if Benning had his way Burrows would be gone too.

A lot of people blame this management group but there has been strong rumors that ownership doesn't not want a tear down rebuild. So let me ask you, if you went in to interview to be the Canucks GM and you were told that a tear down rebuild is not acceptable, would you have taken the job? Would you say yes when asked the question, "Can you retool/rebuild this team into Cup contenders while competing for the playoffs every year?" If I was Benning, I would say yes and believe in my abilities. I would tell Linden that what I believe is the best course of action, but if that is not feasible we will just have to do things a different way. As long as I feel that I would be given the tools and autonomy to do my job it's fair that I would have to work within the parameters of what the boss wants.

Bolded is laughable. The disastrous results were not a product of a young team - hell some of our best players were Hutton, Horvat, Baertschi, and Markstrom - but of a terribly constructed team. Desjardins overplaying garbage vets like Bartowski and Weber, taking too long to figure out that Higgins and Prust were done, alienating Vrbata and causing him to completely check out, making the right move in waiving Vey then inexplicably bringing him back up and overplaying him (and Dorsett) again.

Laying that tire fire of a season at the feet of "getting younger" is a complete joke and only highlights the constant spin and damage control this regime puts out there.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The Canucks and Sharks are actually pretty damn linear as far as roster make-up. The big critical difference is that several of their guys are much better.

The only comparison where the Canucks have the advantage is Daniel Sedin vs Patrick Marleau. Perhaps Horvat vs Hertl as well.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Pretty much what most of the die hards know already.

What can we do about it? Boycott? Protest? Lol

Well, it worked for the idiots in mobility scooters,

fire_gillis.0.jpg

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
The Canucks and Sharks are actually pretty damn linear as far as roster make-up. The big critical difference is that several of their guys are much better.

The only comparison where the Canucks have the advantage is Daniel Sedin vs Patrick Marleau. Perhaps Horvat vs Hertl as well.

And even then, Marleau was 4th among Sharks forwards in pts/g while Daniel was 1st on the Canucks. Hertl was 5th while Horvat was 4th on the Canucks. If Daniel and Henrik are comparable to Marleau and Thornton, and Horvat is comparable to Hertl, who do the Canucks have that can be as good as Pavelski, Couture, or Burns who were the team's 3 leading scorers in the playoffs? The comparison is frankly laughable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad