Canucks Fan Draft List 2017

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
We need more Vancouver! Draft Rasmussen! Hire Crawford! Promote Linden! Draft Virtanen over Ehlers, again!

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?! I'M NOT EVEN MAD! I'VE GOT GOOD FEELINGS BY HAVING SO MUCH WEST COAST PRESENCE!!!!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

BERTUZZI 4 JUSTICE MINISTER 2017!!!!
I meant that the only people who voted for him so far are probably him and his mum.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Went with Nolan Patrick. I am hopong by gaining strength he can overcome this past injuries.

When was the last time the top pick was a big centreman who has toughness and can play offence ? None in the past 10'draft years at least.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I figure it's about time we started to build the Canucks fan draft list for this year. We don't yet know where we'll be picking in the first round, but we can't be lower than where we picked last year when we actually picked Juolevi. For reference, according to our list we would have picked Jakob Chychrun, though that was before Matthew Tkachuk's stellar post season. We had Olli at 7, which is a bit higher than we usually hear argued on here.

In the interest of fairness, I'll use Bob McKenzie's list from February and list the next 15 guys in the poll. If you want to vote for someone else, just stick them in a post and tick 'other'.

Here's the full draft list from last year:

If I had the 1st overall pick, I'd likely pick Niko Hischier, as the amount of heat I'd receive as a GM for selecting Vilardi would be enormous (and would not do justice to neither myself nor the young Vilardi who would an automatic target for media hate).

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if Vilardi ends up being better than both Patrick and Hischier. Yes, call me insane.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Nico. Patrick gives me a bit of a Mike Ricci vibe...injuries will keep him from reaching his ceiling but he will carve out a solid career as a 3rd liner. Useful piece but not a great top 2 pick imo.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
No problem. I actually upped it to 15 selections in retrospect because a lot of the big names that we hear on here are in the 10-15 range.

I kind of hope we pick second, because first overall has Canuck luck all over it. Either Patrick will be a Canuck and be out of the game within a few weeks of signing his first contract, or we'll pass on him and he will be a Hall of Famer.

What did you base this list on. I found it curious that you included Kostin who may be a 2nd rounder.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
What did you base this list on. I found it curious that you included Kostin who may be a 2nd rounder.

Bob Mckenzies list from the start of February. Not perfect, and that's why I included so many options.

It would have taken too long to wait for another list that would amalgamate the NA and Euro skaters and goalies. At least it would if we plan on getting to the 33rd pick.

For reference, this first vote will last two days since this was unannounced. From then on it will be a daily poll until we end up with just ten people voting again. Hopefully that lasts until pick 33.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Nolan Patrick. He's the best player in the draft.

Surprised so many are voting for Hischier.

I voted Hischier.

I think Patrick, if healthy eventually could be a better player league wise, but I think to be that for the Canucks they would have to start from scratch & build their team around him, likely having to trade away many of the young players they have now for players whose style enhances & supports Patrick's skills.

Hischier on the other hand seems to bring a more supportive skill set style that will meld easier with the Canucks existing players and improve the Canucks as a team. Where Patrick I see eventually becoming a good, but not elite first line centre, I see Hischier eventually settling in as a 2nd line centre, but an elite one.

Still if we don't draft Hischier, will not be unhappy with Patrick, Vilardi, Liljegren or Makar

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Patrick. His release is insane. We know how much stock Benning puts into "ripping" the puck. Patrick will score goals on NHL goalies from the high slot. 6'3 and can play a heavy game. Has room for growth in other areas.

Goldobin Patrick Virtanen
Dahlen Horvat Boeser
Baertschi Gaudette Lockwood
Granlund Gaunce Macewan

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Patrick. His release is insane. We know how much stock Benning puts into "ripping" the puck. Patrick will score goals on NHL goalies from the high slot. 6'3 and can play a heavy game. Has room for growth in other areas.

Goldobin Patrick Virtanen
Dahlen Horvat Boeser
Baertschi Gaudette Lockwood
Granlund Gaunce Macewan

Yeah, if the Canucks get 1st overall, Patrick's shot compared to Nico's will definitely help him win over Benning. Plus Benning will be hard pressed to pass up a big center in the west(not that I think you need one for sure, but that's just how guys like Benning think). Even though Patrick isn't really a power forward or mean SOB.

Personally, I'd also take Patrick. But my personal favs in this draft are still Necas and Makar.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I meant that the only people who voted for him so far are probably him and his mum.

I know what you meant. I went off on something that had been bothering me for awhile.

I realize it could also be misconstrued a bit, so to be clear...if you think Rasmussen is a great player and is the best choice at #1 I have no problem with that. I don't see it, but that's a matter of opinion.

What I have a problem with is people who want to have people part of our organization simply because they have strong ties with Vancouver. I'm hearing lots of fans who want Crow back and I have no idea why other than he was with us before because they are rationalizing it. So obviously this is where I'm headed with Rasmussen.

Taking players from Vancouver should be a bonus, not a prerequisite. If you genuinely believe this is the best option I don't care.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We should have waited until after the u18s were over but it could take a while.

Lotta top guys not there though.

Patrick, Mittelstadt, Makar, Pettersson (age)
Vilardi (Mem Cup)
Tippett, Suzuki (playoffs)

Nice to see Hischier and Liljegren a bit more but it's a limited field that applies to us this year

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Voted Hischier because I am a coward and Patrick's injury concerns are legitimately concerning. Would be happy with either.

This gets a lot more interesting around picks 3-10.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Lotta top guys not there though.

Patrick, Mittelstadt, Makar, Pettersson (age)
Vilardi (Mem Cup)
Tippett, Suzuki (playoffs)

Nice to see Hischier and Liljegren a bit more but it's a limited field that applies to us this year

Yeah but look at the impact Vesalainen and Hesikanen have had and the very poor performance of Liljegren. This is one of the best avenues to evaluate players against their peers.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah but look at the impact Vesalainen and Hesikanen have had and the very poor performance of Liljegren. This is one of the best avenues to evaluate players against their peers.

Ya I don't disagree but we aren't likely to be looking at any of those guys in the top 5. Interesting yes, useful less so. Though with Glass jetting over to play (he wasn't there when I posted) that changes a bit.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Ya I don't disagree but we aren't likely to be looking at any of those guys in the top 5. Interesting yes, useful less so. Though with Glass jetting over to play (he wasn't there when I posted) that changes a bit.

I think Heiskanen should be on the consideration list at 5 to be honest. I had him at 9 before the tourney started. The U18 WJC is a pretty relevant tourney.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think Heiskanen should be on the consideration list at 5 to be honest. I had him at 9 before the tourney started. The U18 WJC is a pretty relevant tourney.

I guess. If we draft another "two way, smart" D I'll probably have to stop following this team for the next 10 years. At some point this team needs some offensive talent, not just reliable, safe defensive types.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I guess. If we draft another "two way, smart" D I'll probably have to stop following this team for the next 10 years. At some point this team needs some offensive talent, not just reliable, safe defensive types.

I agree we need some forward talent, but if we fall to 5 in the draft and Nico, Patrick, Mittlestadt and Vilardi are off the board you are looking at Glass, Necas, Makar and Heiskanen IMO and you could make a case for any of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad