Rumor: Canucks extremely active

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
They’ve got a lot to figure out so it makes sense.

• Key UFAs they want to bring back (Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli).

• Overpaid players they want to move out and better use the cap space (Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Roussel).

• Are the RFAs going to be worth their contracts or would you rather spend elsewhere (Virtanen, Gaudette, Stecher).

• Expansion draft considerations don’t want to lose a good player for nothing (Demko).

So basically half their roster is in the mix to be moved

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I will politely decline.

su6anz9lkmi41.jpg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I suspect that they are calling around, but the reality is that they have 1/3 of their cap space spent on overpaid players that are not worth anything close to their current cap hits, and likely closer to 1/2 of it.

Plus, you have to consider, that this team needs to ensure that they have enough cap space coming off the books in 2021 to extend Pettersson and Hughes, who I would put in Pencil at around $18 million combined. If you estimate 6 year deals at $10 and $8 mill respectively, give or take.

So, they can do that now with Sutter $4.3, Baertschi $3.3, Edler $6, Benn $2, Spooner buyout $1, Pearson $3.75, which is around $24 million. 4 of these guys actually took up a roster spot this season, so replacing them will cost just $4 million, leaving $20 million free to shift to another roster spot.

The harder move is the $12 mill in Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel which run for another season, on top of the $3 mill recapture from Luongo.

They already gave up a 1st and 2nd in 2020 and 2019 3rd, and Madden who was a 3rd in 2018 who has developed well. They are not in a position move more high end draft picks out.

Not sure how many of the Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Lockwood, Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo, Dipietro will pan out into the top 6F, top 4D.

Once Hughes/Petey make their money, Miller/Horvat/Boeser already combine almost $17 mill so with Hughes/Petey they get to $35 mill, plus $6 mill for Myers, takes them to $41 mill for top 6 guys. For a flat cap, $41 mill left for the remaining 17 people. So, they need guys coming up on ELC for a couple of years before they have to figure out their cap space.

Reactions: Kaizer

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well, outside of our young core, Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser (he's not being moved according to Benning) and Hughes, and long timers like Edler....there is a lot of players that could/might/will have to be moved.

I can't think of too many UFAs I would want, but maybe it's all simply cap manuvering. There are of course some trade targets I'd love, but I can't think of a deal I'd want to do that would benefit both teams. Let's see what materializes.

Reactions: CanucksLottoLine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad