Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Oilers | 6-2 | WOO! WOO! WOO! WOO! WOO! WOO!

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, I have to wonder if Woodcroft has actually tried to implement any systems there, or if he just sets the lines and has just placed all his faith in the talent of his group to win games? They came out like gang busters to open the game, then got frustrated and the mistakes and undisciplined play crept in and they were a gongshow after that....top to bottom.

As much as the goaltending saved our bacon in the early going, you can really tell which team has a better grasp on positional play and systems structure.

To be fair, that has to be about the most frustrated group in the league at the moment with all the weight of expectation. When that boils over, no coach is going to be able to reel it in in real time.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
A player like JT Miller is so rare in todays game. He is one of the best power forwards in the game, if not the best one currently.

A player that can do it all. It’s incredible he’s actually getting better the older he gets. As long as he can remain healthy, he’s got another 8-10 years left in him. His drive and willingness to win will make sure of that.

There’s no doubt in my mind he’s the 2nd best player on our team right after Quinn Hughes. The decision to keep him over Horvat might truly be one of the greatest decisions this franchise has ever made.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah, I have to wonder if Woodcroft has actually tried to implement any systems there, or if he just sets the lines and has just placed all his faith in the talent of his group to win games? They came out like gang busters to open the game, then got frustrated and the mistakes and undisciplined play crept in and they were a gongshow after that....top to bottom.

As much as the goaltending saved our bacon in the early going, you can really tell which team has a better grasp on positional play and systems structure.

The talk all through camp in Oiler land was how they were going to implement a tighter defensive system. Not unlike the task canucks had. However, the canucks were working on this before the end of last season and if I was a betting man they gave players instructions on what to work on/video to watch over the off season so they were prepared for camp. The media was universal in it's praise of the canucks camp on how well prepared everyone was.

I also think the Oilers were looking at a Vegas type system (could be really wrong). Well that system only works if everyone buys in (the impact it had on vegas when Eichel finally bought in was big) and you actually have the talent through the entire lineup to pull it off. The Oilers don't have those things and if that is what they were trying to do it's a MASSIVE mis-evaluation by GM and coaching staff.

Until the Oilers get buy in from the leadership group instead of tantrums when things don't go their way they are not going to achieve anything.

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
To be fair, that has to be about the most frustrated group in the league at the moment with all the weight of expectation. When that boils over, no coach is going to be able to reel it in in real time.

IMO a good coach is going to instill a sense of calm and confidence...if the weight of expectations is that high, and i'm sure it is, that's where your coaching needs to shine. Woodcroft called a timeout after the Canucks potted 3 quick goals against the run of play and there was no sense of "lets get back to work", even after they were gifted the Draisaitl goal...we still managed to eat them up in most facets of the game.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
A player like JT Miller is so rare in todays game. He is one of the best power forwards in the game, if not the best one currently.

A player that can do it all. It’s incredible he’s actually getting better the older he gets. As long as he can remain healthy, he’s got another 8-10 years left in him. His drive and willingness to win will make sure of that.

Or 20!
There’s no doubt in my mind he’s the 2nd best player on our team right after Quinn Hughes. The decision to keep him over Horvat might truly be one of the greatest decisions this franchise has ever made.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The talk all through camp in Oiler land was how they were going to implement a tighter defensive system. Not unlike the canucks. However, the canucks were working on this before the end of last season and if I was a betting man they gave players instructions on what to work on/video to watch over the off season so they were prepared for camp. The media was universal in it's praise of the canucks camp on how well prepared everyone was.

Until the Oilers get buy in from the leadership group instead of tantrums when things don't go their way they are not going to achieve anything.
Initially, I was really disappointed that we hired Tocchet...I didn't realize he was as sharp and nuanced as a person as he is...I never really saw much more than the TNT hockey panelist who just seemed like the "ex-tough guy". But boy was I wrong...but he has exactly the type of characteristics you want in a coach, has all the time in the world for skill but demands hard work and no cheating, tough but fair, you get second and third chances if your work ethic is there, but you don't if you're cheating...he's the kind of guy who gets buy-in because he demands it through respect. I'm not sure Woodcroft gets that type of respect.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

McDavid isn't wrong. He's spot on. He's 26 right now. 27 in January. He can play another decade or dozen years in the NHL, but he can look over at Sid and see what Sid and the Pens have done since their last cup in 2017, which was 7 PO runs ago, just before he turned 30 after winning that Cup.

Plus their contractual situations, with Leon due up in 2025, but eligible for a new deal in 2024, and Connor a year behind him in both cases. If they have a similar year to last where they fall in the WCF, that's one thing and EDM has a legit shot at retaining both of them. Don't make the PO, all bets are off. And it becomes a chicken or egg situation. If they don't commit, no one of value is coming to join them. If they do commit, they've seen what Edm has done for them over their 9 years together, and there are no guarantees it actually gets any better.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

He said in a post-game interview that he was implementing the same defensive system as the Bruins. Let that sink in for a moment.

Happy to see the Oilers struggling, but by any objective measure, they should change coaches as a Hail Mary to re-boot the season. Daryl Sutter makes some sense.

Reactions: Canucker

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
Look at TSN's homepage.... you just love to see it
Untitled.jpeg
I'm hand slumping to the highlights rn

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Initially, I was really disappointed that we hired Tocchet...I didn't realize he was as sharp and nuanced as a person as he is...I never really saw much more than the TNT hockey panelist who just seemed like the "ex-tough guy". But boy was I wrong...but he has exactly the type of characteristics you want in a coach, has all the time in the world for skill but demands hard work and no cheating, tough but fair, you get second and third chances if your work ethic is there, but you don't if you're cheating...he's the kind of guy who gets buy-in because he demands it through respect. I'm not sure Woodcroft gets that type of respect.

He is also ready to praise. very even keeled. How many times has he said post-game something to the effect of "We weren't doing X well but the guys were already saying it on the bench. I didn't have to say anything."

He said in a post-game interview that he was implementing the same defensive system as the Bruins. Let that sink in for a moment.

Happy to see the Oilers struggling, but by any objective measure, they should change coaches as a Hail Mary to re-boot the season. Daryl Sutter makes some sense.
Bruins right not Vegas like I thought. The rest of the comments I made earlier still stand. And I'll add another...these are teams that have been bought in for multiple seasons. It's not something you can just turn on. The canucks are nowhere near perfect but are definitely learning because they have the buy in. The Oilers don't have that.

Sutter would be a massively bad fit for them I think. I understand he gets temporary good results but they need something way more than temporary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucker and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He is also ready to praise. very even keeled. How many times has he said post-game something to the effect of "We weren't doing X well but the guys were already saying it on the bench. I didn't have to say anything."

I've never seen a coach come in and just nail everything the way he has this year. Player relationships, ice-time, assistant coaches, media, etc. Just everything he's done has been seemingly masterful.

It wasn't very long ago but a lot of us were questioning the approach in training camp; too many wasted games. Media pointed out that the Canucks were doing a lot of special teams and systems work which is not typical for training camp.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Yup...I went back and looked at who Tocchet's coaches were throughout his career and the guy has such a great foundation of coaching experiences to draw from, both good and bad...Scotty Bowman, Roger Nielsen, Mike Keenan, Larry Robinson....that kind of thing is pretty invaluable.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I've never seen a coach come in and just nail everything the way he has this year. Player relationships, ice-time, assistant coaches, media, etc. Just everything he's done has been seemingly masterful.

It wasn't very long ago but a lot of us were questioning the approach in training camp; too many wasted games. Media pointed out that the Canucks were doing a lot of special teams and systems work which is not typical for training camp.
I didn’t like how the coaching change was handled last year, I thought we should tank (still would have liked to maximize that pick) and didn’t think that the foundation laid last year would carry over.

This has been a masterclass in success pulled from chaos. It’s hard to even believe what has been accomplished up to this point. The team has made a lot of changes, but the coach has been the most important one.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

this season oilers have changed from man on man and gone to the box zone defence system that vegas used last year. i read somewhere that it was a direct reaction to being repeatedly broken down on man on man coverage in the wcf by the knights.

Reactions: Canucker

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We went from a slow team to a fast team in just a couple of seasons. The bottom six especially just flies out there and the way that Hughes-Hronek move the puck so quickly up the ice is just ridiculous. Even Boeser looks faster. Aside from great results, this is just such a fun team to watch as they move up the ice so quickly getting odd man rushes regularly.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad