Post-Game Talk: Canucks Caps 5:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Kuz is clearly lacking confidence in his shot. Trotz job should be to fix this

Don't think this is accurate.

It's either A- he honestly thinks passing will result in a better scoring opportunities
B- he's so unselfish he'd rather his line mates have the goal

Eskobar

Sep 28, 2016

It's either A- he honestly thinks passing will result in a better scoring opportunities

Yeah. Kutznetsov likes to make his linemates better. It goes way back. For example, if he scored a goal but didn't record assists in a particular game, his father would point it out.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

I'm happy with his recent play.

But come the 2nd round of the playoffs you can't pass that puck and need to score.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

there are c's and d's that could be added to that. he is 10ft straight in front of the net alone and passed to a guy with a far worse shooting angle. he not only did that here but has a pattern of doing that this season. He was scoring that himself last season.

He is starting to rack up points and pucks are going in for Williams and Vrana and that is what counts. Kuzy is coming around.

Burakovsky, though. He hasn't scored a goal in 26 games.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
there are c's and d's that could be added to that. he is 10ft straight in front of the net alone and passed to a guy with a far worse shooting angle. he not only did that here but has a pattern of doing that this season. He was scoring that himself last season.

He is starting to rack up points and pucks are going in for Williams and Vrana and that is what counts. Kuzy is coming around.

Burakovsky, though. He hasn't scored a goal in 26 games.

Kuznetsov had the worse shooting opportunity. He wasn't in shooting position and the goalie was square to him.

Williams had an open net and any NHLer can hit it from that angle.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
He could of easily taken that the puck to his backhand, but who knows what he lost confidence in, his backhand or the ice quality.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If he wont shoot from there, he wont shoot

If he shoots from there it gets saved. Being close to the goalie does not mean you have a good shot available.

He could shoot more but that's a good example of playmaking.

Also most backhand goals happen because the player flat out beats the goalie positionally and has a yawning net rather than cleanly beating them with a shot unless it's like Crosby or Radulov. Kuznetsov wasn't in the best position relative to the goalie, he was twisted, the goalie was square to him and he had dudes converging.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He overpasses on opportunities, but as long as he's completing those passes (like he has recently) then I'm ok with it.

Burakovsky went from snakebit to playing poorly. Fortunately for the Caps, it's probably better that Kuznetsov seems to be getting back on his game since the current top 6 wingers are playing well and having two centers playing well is critical.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
The way the metro is this season. Not getting the points vs weak teams is very costly.

Skins and caps wins I'm happy

We're well into December, and the Metro has 5 of the top 7 teams by points. I wonder if there's a precedent for one division being this dominant this far into a season?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We won a game that we had to win. Ovi ends his drought, Kuzy extends his point streak, Holtby gets a shutout. What more do you want? Satisfied by this win.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If he shoots from there it gets saved. Being close to the goalie does not mean you have a good shot available.

He could shoot more but that's a good example of playmaking.

Also most backhand goals happen because the player flat out beats the goalie positionally and has a yawning net rather than cleanly beating them with a shot unless it's like Crosby or Radulov. Kuznetsov wasn't in the best position relative to the goalie, he was twisted, the goalie was square to him and he had dudes converging.

Maybe, maybe not. He just had the goalie to beat and the netminder was out of position but recovering. He could've gone backhand or faked it. Most shoot from there somehow. He overpasses quite a bit. That one just worked out.

Williams didn't have an easy shot or an open net. He had to shoot through 3 players and beat the goalie, which he did. Only a perfect shot gets through. The shot was better than the pass.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
i see what you guys are saying, but if Crosby made that pass, they'd be calling him a genius. and i'm inclined to chalk this up to Kuz' vision. Williams said he knows to keep his stick on the ice when playing with him, and, though he was surprised by the pass, he saw a wide open net when it arrived.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
It's silly that everyone point out the overpassing on the Kuznetsov play which ended up in the net and i don't think i've seen anyone mention even once that sequence where Ovechkin tried to make a similar pass to Kuznetsov rather than shooting from even better position and the worst of it is that he missed him with that pass.

Good win.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think it's fair to criticize a play even if the result is a good one. It's symptomatic of his overpassing and he really should shoot more often in general. It worked out this time and to be fair, maybe he saw or felt something that led him to believe passing was the superior option. But there have been plenty of other times where he chose to pass and the puck ended up harmlessly away from the net when he could have shot instead.

Ovechkin overpassed on that one play, yes. But if there's one player in the entire universe who can be described as a shoot-first player, it's Ovechkin. So he should get more leniency when he decides to pass because you know it's not going to be a recurring problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad