Rumor: Canucks are targeting U-24s that has underwhelmed during their ELC. Which players fit this profile?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Yeah I don't like him, what's the problem with that? I have seen enough of Poolparty to see he is just a mediocre complementary player that got points from McDavid and Draisaitl.

On the bright side, he's actually available for a trade. Unlike Lafreniere and Kakko.

• Haha
Reactions: pld459666

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yeah I don't like him, what's the problem with that? I have seen enough of Poolparty to see he is just a mediocre complementary player that got points from McDavid and Draisaitl.
Nothing wrong with that but you aren't Rutherford. It came off as if you were projecting your feelings on to him. I'm just not sure he would share your feelings.

Octopus

May 17, 2006
Rutherford in his presser yesterday said that they are targeting young players with upside that may have underperformed or underwhelmed during their ELC. He says he prefers this over draft picks whom would carry the same risk of busting.

Please note:

- He also said he wants more draft picks and wants to add to the Canucks prospect pipeline. Most of these u24s are probably additions and not the main piece to a big trade for someone like Horvat.

Which players fit the profile,

Here are some speculated names from insiders and talking heads after the presser:

Lafreniere
Kakko
Rossi
Tomasino
Bernard-Docker
Mcmichael
Newhook
Hayton
Kravstov
Wahlstrom
Broberg
Foudy

Which other players fit this profile that you think would be available to be moved?
You can add:

Zadina
Rasmussen
Veleno

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
If Laf or Kakko don't show up in a couple of years then their value will be even lower and would be viewed as busts for where they were drafted. Right now is borderline but you can get some value in return for them since they still going by the value of where they are drafted. But time will tell if they become another Yakupov or O'Reilly
Sure, you could make that argument, but I'd rather see them run out of value then get dealt for 2nd round picks, mediocre prospects, or rentals then become impact players elsewhere. Kakko has been consistently improving. I don't think he's going to be a star, but I see him being a quality two-way player for a long time. Lafreniere has struggled this year, but he potted 19 even strength goals last year so I believe the talent is there. Sometimes we forget these guys came in as 18 year olds probably a couple years too soon due to their draft positions. You can throw out a guy like Yakupov, but you can also throw out plenty of guys who took 3-5 seasons to really hit their stride. Like I said, I wouldn't call them 'untouchable,' but the amount I'd want to give up the potential upside is more than what most of you guys will want to pay at the moment. There's a reason they keep coming up as buy low options for teams. I think selling low would be a mistake long term.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Rutherford in his presser yesterday said that they are targeting young players with upside that may have underperformed or underwhelmed during their ELC. He says he prefers this over draft picks whom would carry the same risk of busting.

Please note:

- He also said he wants more draft picks and wants to add to the Canucks prospect pipeline. Most of these u24s are probably additions and not the main piece to a big trade for someone like Horvat.

Which players fit the profile,

Here are some speculated names from insiders and talking heads after the presser:

Lafreniere
Kakko
Rossi
Tomasino
Bernard-Docker
Mcmichael
Newhook
Hayton
Kravstov
Wahlstrom
Broberg
Foudy

Which other players fit this profile that you think would be available to be moved?
Take a shot on someone like Emil Bemstrom?

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Mattias Norlinder + 4th Rounder '23 for 2nd Rounder '24?

Norlinder's a good young offensive D-Man who just got passed by the Habs' cavalcade of great young D. We've had 5 Rookie Defensemen play for us, mostly 4 at a time and all have looked good to great. Just no room for Norlinder.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Puljujarvi for Luke Schenn
You guys are likely to have to trade a 1st to just get rid of his contract.

"Jesse Puljujarvi: I purposely saved Puljujarvi for last. His time in an Oilers uniform is nearing its end. I don’t see a path forward for the player and the team beyond the next several weeks. I’m not going to beat the player up. The unfortunate reality is it’s going to cost the Oilers a high draft pick to move him to another team in a trade. One of the more surprising positive statistics about Puljujarvi’s game is the fact he leads the Oilers in hits (89) but the rest of his game doesn’t add up and he’s not worth his $3 million salary. The good news, for a team that acquires him at the deadline, is he’s on an expiring contract. It’s the only reason he is a target to be moved. (Look at it this way – the team acquiring the Oilers' first round pick along with Puljujarvi is essentially buying the pick from the Oilers. They pay the remainder of Puljujarvi’s contract for the year but get a first-round pick in return.)"

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Sure, you could make that argument, but I'd rather see them run out of value then get dealt for 2nd round picks, mediocre prospects, or rentals then become impact players elsewhere. Kakko has been consistently improving. I don't think he's going to be a star, but I see him being a quality two-way player for a long time. Lafreniere has struggled this year, but he potted 19 even strength goals last year so I believe the talent is there. Sometimes we forget these guys came in as 18 year olds probably a couple years too soon due to their draft positions. You can throw out a guy like Yakupov, but you can also throw out plenty of guys who took 3-5 seasons to really hit their stride. Like I said, I wouldn't call them 'untouchable,' but the amount I'd want to give up the potential upside is more than what most of you guys will want to pay at the moment. There's a reason they keep coming up as buy low options for teams. I think selling low would be a mistake long term.
Even If they do not pan out to be what their draft projections predicted, they are ultimately going to be cheap'ish 2nd/3rd liners that help solidify depth in the line up.

I'd rather retain the two kids, continue to expect them to both improve in all aspects of the game.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

"Jesse Puljujarvi: I purposely saved Puljujarvi for last. His time in an Oilers uniform is nearing its end. I don’t see a path forward for the player and the team beyond the next several weeks. I’m not going to beat the player up. The unfortunate reality is it’s going to cost the Oilers a high draft pick to move him to another team in a trade. One of the more surprising positive statistics about Puljujarvi’s game is the fact he leads the Oilers in hits (89) but the rest of his game doesn’t add up and he’s not worth his $3 million salary. The good news, for a team that acquires him at the deadline, is he’s on an expiring contract. It’s the only reason he is a target to be moved. (Look at it this way – the team acquiring the Oilers' first round pick along with Puljujarvi is essentially buying the pick from the Oilers. They pay the remainder of Puljujarvi’s contract for the year but get a first-round pick in return.)"

Zac Jones for Poolparty and the Oilers 1st.

Done

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Trade for everyone's draft flops and put them together on one team and they magically become stars.

All righty then

Dark days will continue for many more years for Nucks fans if this is the plan

Reactions: brock hughes007

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Tampa: Perblix and Foote
Nucks: Schenn and Lazar

LA Kings: Byfield and Clarke
Nucks: Horvat

Carolina: Kotkaniemi (retained salary)
Nucks: Garland and Stillman

Isles: Wahlstrom and Raty
Nucks: Boeser and Hoglander

Trade or Buyout Myers
Nucks sign Tryamkin

Mikheyev-Pettersson- Wahlstrom
Miller-Byfield-Podkolzin
Kuzmenko-Kotkaniemi-Studnicka
Joshua-Raty-Lockwood
Aman

OEL-Clarke
Hughes-Perblix
Tryamkin-Foote
Dermott-Bear
Burrough- Johansson

Flame away!
I’m late to this one but Raty is an absolute no go.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Canuck fans? Any interest in Max Jones from Anaheim?

Our team is bad, but I think a changing of a tire may change the direction of the kid elsewhere. Anaheim can find a depth forward to replace him.

Young kid, has tremendous potential on a better team. Just trying to maximize his career somewhere else. He’s rotting here, and if a better opportunity is available. I would like to see it. Just like Rakell, Manson, Cogliano, etc you get the point. Of the changing and they make a solid career elsewhere.

Thoughts Canucks?

Max Jones is 24 so technically he does meet the requirement regarding 24 and less
What's Jones' game like these days?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

So move a 3 mil player on his last year for a 1st? Nah

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014

Conor Garland, Lets go do some deals that we might end up regret later.​

See if we can sneak in the guy who’s sharing the jersey number with Varlamov. They might not realize since they already have his replacement in the system.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Cant see Rangers trading Kakko or Laf but both would suit what the Nucks want.

I don’t think Krav would cost a bunch if they want him

Why does Vancouver want reclamation projects? I suppose if nothing key is given up. I would trade the Vancouver 2nd for Lafreniere. That's a top-40 pick likely and Lafreniere is only three seasons in.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ok so the spectrum is baertschi, gudbranson, grantland on the bad end

and naslund, jovo, and bertuzzi on the other end?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

When you try to rip someone off but realize it’s a fictional trade message board

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad