Post-Game Talk: Canucks 5, Rangers 0: "Don't you dare score, defend the 5-0 deficit!"

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Andrew Alberts makes 600k.

There is a thing called perspective people. The guy brings something that nobody on the defence is able to and he does his job extremely well. You can't expect every player from top to bottom to not have a weakness. The undeserved hate that gets thrown his way is totally unfounded.

Exactly. He's a #6 or a #7 D-man. The way people act around here, they expect all our D-men to be top 2. He had a couple bad preseason games that I'm sure he'd like to forget as much as anyone. Give the dude a break. We've seen enough of him over the years to know that he plays well for a #6 d-man. He's good in his role on this team.

mdelleman

Jul 2, 2004
Langley, BC, Canada
Deal but here's the truth. Alberts is a band aid. I have a better outlet than him and i'm just cocky beer leaguer! (-;

Big body but NOT physical when you expect him to be. Poor with the puck on his stick and that is the largest reason why I hope he doesn't make the team to start.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Looks like Luongo is starting to make a statement about who should be the Canadian goalie in Sochi. Plays like that and the Canucks got a chance at making this a successful season. Canucks were far from air tight in this game and need to stop turning the puck over at the blue line and to handle traffic around the net better. Some of the d-men got bailed out in this one by Luongo.

The Good

Luongo - was outstanding

Shinkaruk - thought he was beginning to drag a bit but had a lot of jump in this game. Effective on fore-check and improved in his own end. Might have over-passed a couple of times but I like the fact that he is trying to be creative. Right up in the play and showing a good turn of speed. First time I've felt like he could play at the NHL level in the near term. Certainly not entirely ready but at least close which is excellent given his age.

Tanev - struggled in coverage around his net at times but overall game was excellent. Obvious he is taking Torts advise to shoot more. Passing again was excellent.

Edler - really producing points - may finally be able to break out and might be good pool choice. Playing with more conviction so far this pre-season

Burrows - real good game. Very good on the pk and showed great speed in forcing the play and in transition. Complete contrast to his game so far this year.

The Bad

Weber - did not like his one on one play. Gives up too much room and does not effectively close on players. Thought he gave up chances all game and was lucky that Luongo was on. Real marginal player at this point. If the Canucks can pick up someone off waivers or thru trade they should consider it.

Other points

Thought Corrado had another solid game. Clearly he was sent down because of contract situation and the need to keep some depth on defense. I doubt Weber would be picked up by anyone but if he was the depth situation becomes worst than it is. Canucks will probably start the season with Alberts. Far from ideal but have little other choice right now. Hopefully he can be serviceable.

Sedins had good offensive game - especially on the pp. However, there were significant problems in their own end. Under Torts they will have to play more in their own end and that aspect of their game needs to tighten up.

Booth looked fine. Should have scored but if he plays like this he should really contribute. Showed good enough wheels to believe he will get his scoring chances this year.

Liked Kesler better tonight but still doubt he is showing the speed he had a couple of years ago.

Canuck third a fourth lines remain a hodge-podge. Lots of effort but scrambling much of the time. Santorelli and Richardson have been ok but it's doubtful the Canucks have really covered off the gap they have at the 3rd line center position. However both these players have looked good on the pk

Score flattered us tonight and doubt most fans believe the Canucks are not without some significant problems heading into the season.

mdelleman

Jul 2, 2004
Langley, BC, Canada
Luongo tracked the puck tonight better than I have seen him so all last season. Major focus. Not that it matters as it's preseason but nice to see.

Shinkaruk - Saw 2 backcheck that impressed me, otherwise needs to get better in his own zone. Still think the kids should get a long look. There aren't many players on our team that can skate like him and as long as the staff feels he can keep up with the grind we may see him play a full season this year.

Tanev - Shooting a lot more yes. Doesn't look as "calm" as last season but as to your point I think he's been asked to expand his game and that will take time. Still feel like he will be reliable back there.

Edler - Put him on the side he prefers and we will have great dman this year.

Bur - Good game tonight, didn't show up much before that. Ball hockey champion. Any player taken in the 17th round, contributed on a line with an NHL Hart Trophy winner, and learned how to not trip over the redline after only one season in the big league ahs my respect for a long while.

Weber - average. Better with the puck then Alberts. Still weak in the D zone. Has hard time with the physical game behind and gets beat alot. Should be our 7th or 8th dman.

YES Corrado
YES Sedins
Kesler will be better

I personally want some youth and inexperience in the lineup. It's exciting watching kids make it and I think we have 1 or 2 that could stick without being a HUGE liability.

Looks like Luongo is starting to make a statement about who should be the Canadian goalie in Sochi. Plays like that and the Canucks got a chance at making this a successful season. Canucks were far from air tight in this game and need to stop turning the puck over at the blue line and to handle traffic around the net better. Some of the d-men got bailed out in this one by Luongo.

The Good

Luongo - was outstanding

Shinkaruk - thought he was beginning to drag a bit but had a lot of jump in this game. Effective on fore-check and improved in his own end. Might have over-passed a couple of times but I like the fact that he is trying to be creative. Right up in the play and showing a good turn of speed. First time I've felt like he could play at the NHL level in the near term. Certainly not entirely ready but at least close which is excellent given his age.

Tanev - struggled in coverage around his net at times but overall game was excellent. Obvious he is taking Torts advise to shoot more. Passing again was excellent.

Edler - really producing points - may finally be able to break out and might be good pool choice. Playing with more conviction so far this pre-season

Burrows - real good game. Very good on the pk and showed great speed in forcing the play and in transition. Complete contrast to his game so far this year.

The Bad

Weber - did not like his one on one play. Gives up too much room and does not effectively close on players. Thought he gave up chances all game and was lucky that Luongo was on. Real marginal player at this point. If the Canucks can pick up someone off waivers or thru trade they should consider it.

Other points

Thought Corrado had another solid game. Clearly he was sent down because of contract situation and the need to keep some depth on defense. I doubt Weber would be picked up by anyone but if he was the depth situation becomes worst than it is. Canucks will probably start the season with Alberts. Far from ideal but have little other choice right now. Hopefully he can be serviceable.

Sedins had good offensive game - especially on the pp. However, there were significant problems in their own end. Under Torts they will have to play more in their own end and that aspect of their game needs to tighten up.

Booth looked fine. Should have scored but if he plays like this he should really contribute. Showed good enough wheels to believe he will get his scoring chances this year.

Liked Kesler better tonight but still doubt he is showing the speed he had a couple of years ago.

Canuck third a fourth lines remain a hodge-podge. Lots of effort but scrambling much of the time. Santorelli and Richardson have been ok but it's doubtful the Canucks have really covered off the gap they have at the 3rd line center position. However both these players have looked good on the pk

Score flattered us tonight and doubt most fans believe the Canucks are not without some significant problems heading into the season.

mdelleman

Jul 2, 2004
Langley, BC, Canada

You are 100% right in that Lundqvist played under his level BUT the D positioning for the Ranges was horrific on at least half of the goals scored against.

Chalk it up to new systems.... We'll hang onto that excuse as well for at least the first month this season (-;

What team doesn't have holes?

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Man saw the highlights. How bad can Lundqvist be this game. We were outshot by 2:1 ratio and won 5:0.

Glad Tortorella is not just satisfied with a "win" like AV was, cuz there are a lot of problems with the teams play.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
With Corrado gone. I am now firmly convinced Torts intends to run a loaded top four. There would be no reason to send down Corrado if he planned on dividing the allotted ice time evenly. Tanev will likely be utilized on the PK, but otherwise I see us running....

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Alberts/Weber - Tanev

or

Edler - Hamhuis
Garrison - Bieksa
Alberts/Weber - Tanev

yoss

May 25, 2011
Ahh okay, thanks. Good to know. Has to be against San Jose of course, should be a good test right of the bat.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Funny how the opposition seem to get a bunch of power plays after the game that is out of hand; yet a few nights earlier - the same doesn't happen when we're the team that's losing a game in a similiar fashion to the Sharks.

Wouldn't have changed the outcome of either game - but I just found it rather interesting.......correction, hardly surprising.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Seems to me the canucks gave up a lot of chance in the first half of the first period. Once they got the 2-0 lead I don't think the Rangers started to get chances again until the game was out of reach for them. From the mid-first to end of second the canucks were in pretty good control of the game. Being outplayed when up 5-0 isn't unusual.

Some problems to be sure but I think the shot clock is a bit biased based on the third when the canucks started going through the motions. So to sum up:

-Luongo good the first 5-10 minutes. Very good indeed.
-Canucks as a whole good from that point to the end of the second. Rangers defense god awful.
-who cares about the third?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Good for Luongo (even though I can't believe how poor the finishing was from NYR at times) and good for the PP. Other than that I thought we were poor. Only one time did the 1st line really put Rangers under pressure. And quite scary how many half decent chances NYR generated with what I would consider a very weak set of forwards (without Stepan, Hagelin and Callahan as well as Nash not really caring much they really don't have much - as a Norwegian I thought Zuccarello did very well for them, but he is hardly a player that can carry a team).

Will obviously be a very different game against the Sharks, but I think we are a long way from being competitive against a team like them (not saying we won't come the end of the season).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

A little bit. But I counted two posts for us: H Sedin and Booth and about 3 breakaways/ three on ones where the team could have added to its total, including two breakaways on on one penalty kill. Overall I thought the shots were misleading and we were full value for an easy win. A couple of softies by Lundqvist maybe but a couple of others we really should have finished off as well. Th epowerplay looked very good last night with great puck movement. Luongo was very good but the Rangers didn't get many second chances and many of their shots were pretty routine. That is a club that is going to have trouble scoring especially until Callahan comes back.

I also think that Weber is the 6th defenceman and Alberts is sitting. I think that's pretty clear from pre-season and last nights game.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Problems, yes. Significant? No. I honestly believe we have become underrated and underestimated due to two inept playoff showings. Even without Booth, the team has a fairly solid nucleus. With him we are that much better. My "problems," or questions rather, are as followed.

- Is Santorelli for real?
- Can Horvat handle the NHL?
- Can Booth survive getting out of bed?

Even no to all three of those does not spell disaster. It's when we get into the more unlikely, fluke territory where things become muddled. However, you cannot plan around the Sedins arbitrarily regressing to 60-70 players or Kesler getting hit in just the right spot. That's just needlessly pessimistic.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Thought it was interesting that the NYR top defensive pairing of Girardi and McDonagh were on for every Canuck goal.

Now granted, two of those were PP goals, but still their top two D were minus three on the night.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
One last point. I loved the fact that Bieksa went after Dorsett after he tried to fight Hamhuis. That's the type of snarl we need from number 3. Great play on the powerplay goal to when he dove to get the puck to Edler.

Pseudonymous*

Wow. Stunned on Corrado.

Andrew Alberts' preseason was astoundingly putrid. Cannot believe they felt the risk of losing him on waivers was so great that they would worsen their lineup by sending Corrado to the AHL.

Oh well.

****ing Joke!

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thought it was interesting that the NYR top defensive pairing of Girardi and McDonagh were on for every Canuck goal.

Now granted, two of those were PP goals, but still their top two D were minus three on the night.

Hard to read too much into a pre-season game but I think AV could be in for a tough year with that bunch. Callahan and Hagelin are both out for a while and along with Stepan that's two thirds of their top line. That top pairing on defence had terrible coverage last night.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
With Corrado gone. I am now firmly convinced Torts intends to run a loaded top four. There would be no reason to send down Corrado if he planned on dividing the allotted ice time evenly. Tanev will likely be utilized on the PK, but otherwise I see us running....

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Alberts/Weber - Tanev

or

Edler - Hamhuis
Garrison - Bieksa
Alberts/Weber - Tanev

Yeah, that's what I think too. Shouldn't be a problem with our top 4, allows us to shelter the bottom pair.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I like the idea of a Tanev - Edler pairing. I feel like those two players have skills that compensate for the other's shortcomings while not holding the other back from what they do well in the process. Tanev seems to be taking the offensive initiative a lot more as well. I think in the process of his last contract negotiation he realized that if he wants to get paid he needs to take some chances and put some points on the board. I wonder if pairing with Edler might have been tossed around in the course of his contract negotiation?

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
oh my god AVs coaching is so bad thank god hes gone
i was at the game, I saw the Rangers doing what Vancouver did all last year... and that was lose

41 shots ya... all perimeter for the most part.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I'm not too surprised Alberts was kept but boy, he came dangerously close to being waived. He was outplayed by both Corrado and Andersson in my opinion, but because he brings a completely different element than either of those two, he kept his roster spot.

I do think Corrado will get in quite a few NHL games this season, despite his demotion. Injuries will happen and it's possible that the Canucks move a D for some forward depth. He'll be up sooner rather than later.

It also seems to me that Alberts has often been a slow starter, usually playing his best hockey in the 2nd half of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad