Post-Game Talk: Canucks 4, Avalanche 1: Slowest GDT of the season

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
We should win this game and pretty much the next SIX out of 9.

Seriously, we pretty much play basement dwellers. It's peppered with SJ, CBJ (hahaha funny how I put them in as a challenge now), and NSH. PHX may or may not count depending on how you look at it.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
We should win this game and pretty much the next SIX out of 9.

Seriously, we pretty much play basement dwellers. It's peppered with SJ, CBJ (hahaha funny how I put them in as a challenge now), and NSH. PHX may or may not count depending on how you look at it.

Be aware; bottom dwellers play much more relaxed this time of the year because they've got nothing to lose. Happens every year; some soon to be golfers get to play spoiler.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Been keeping up loosely with the team all the way here in Europe.

That bottom six is ****ing awful!

For all the rhetoric that Gillis and Co. espouse about having two top flight goaltenders, they forget that only one of them can be on the ice to help win games and a good portion of the team are being manned by players that shouldn't be there at all.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

For all the rhetoric that Gillis and Co. espouse about having two top flight goaltenders, they forget that only one of them can be on the ice to help win games and a good portion of the team are being manned by players that shouldn't be there at all.

Two top 6 guys, one 3rd liner, one 4th liner and 3rd/4th line center are all injured. I'm curious where these teams are that can ice a great bottom 6 after missing 5 regular forwards.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

They've got almost half the forward group out with injury. Of course the bottom six looks bad.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
From Canucksarmy.com

"Cory Schneider is starting again, for the sixth straight game. Luongo-watch is assumed to be on again, but it also seems possible that this is another Hodgson magic trick. If so, then Schneider is doing just the trick. With Tuesday's shutout in the book, Schneider has now stopped 128 of 133 shots; that's a 96.2 per cent clip."

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
From Canucksarmy.com

"Cory Schneider is starting again, for the sixth straight game. Luongo-watch is assumed to be on again, but it also seems possible that this is another Hodgson magic trick. If so, then Schneider is doing just the trick. With Tuesday's shutout in the book, Schneider has now stopped 128 of 133 shots; that's a 96.2 per cent clip."

Holy **** that would be an epic bait and switch.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
From Canucksarmy.com

I don't think he's getting the Hodgson treatment. He's not really being put against super easy competition. He's just the better option when we need to win games to get back to 3rd seed.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Whats the point of playing. The penguins already won the cup.

tumblr_mj3zycafem1r8tu19o1_250.gif

Pull yourself together!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't think he's getting the Hodgson treatment. He's not really being put against super easy competition. He's just the better option when we need to win games to get back to 3rd seed.

He's not? 3 of his last 5 games came against non-playoff teams, and the other two are in 6th and 7th in the conference. Not exactly tough competition.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
He's not? 3 of his last 5 games came against non-playoff teams, and the other two are in 6th and 7th in the conference. Not exactly tough competition.

Luongo's shutouts came against Colorado and Minnesota. One is in playoffs, the other isn't.

Scheider's have been against Anaheim, LA and Columbus. Columbus is fringe 8th right now and LA and Anaheim are very strong teams.

Luongo's last 5 starts: MIN, DET, NSH, CLB, CGY -- 2 are only bonafide playoffs, the rest are out. 16 GA in 5 games

Schneider's last 5 starts: CLB, COL, LA, PHX, STL -- 2 are only bonafide playoffs, the res are out. 5 GA in 5 games

Both had absolutely terrible showings for one game (Schneider against Anaheim, Luongo and Detroit). Luongo was better earlier, Schenider is better now. Get over it.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if MAF melts down again in the post season. Penguins aren't unbeatable.

Their defense is still easily exploitable. Letang isn't exactly Scott Stevens. Douglas Murray as bad as their defense is doesn't really do all that much besides depth for their bottom pairing. Their only real shut-down defenseman that I can see being somewhat effective is Brooks Orpik.

I think if you get good goaltending, play a style of game that messes with the flow, and can be tough and get under the skin of Crosby and Malkin (jeez, if only there was a team that matches this description exactly....) then you'll have a pretty good chance of winning.

You might be able to beat them run and gun, but I think their special teams will wear you down eventually.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Their defense is still easily exploitable. Letang isn't exactly Scott Stevens. Douglas Murray as bad as their defense is doesn't really do all that much besides depth for their bottom pairing. Their only real shut-down defenseman that I can see being somewhat effective is Brooks Orpik.

I think if you get good goaltending, play a style of game that messes with the flow, and can be tough and get under the skin of Crosby and Malkin (jeez, if only there was a team that matches this description exactly....) then you'll have a pretty good chance of winning.

You might be able to beat them run and gun, but I think their special teams will wear you down eventually.

Oh I completely agree. You just get two players to shadow Crosby and Malkin so close that when they ****, those players are there to hand them the TP, so to say.

Letang is a lot like Edler, but after that Martin, Orpik and Murray aren't exactly great. MAF is like Niemi. I'm more scared of a team like LA who's proven they've got the guns blazing when they put it together. MAF needs to play at a more consistent higher level right now to instill any fear in me.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Oh I completely agree. You just get two players to shadow Crosby and Malkin so close that when they ****, those players are there to hand them the TP, so to say.

Letang is a lot like Edler, but after that Martin, Orpik and Murray aren't exactly great. MAF is like Niemi. I'm more scared of a team like LA who's proven they've got the guns blazing when they put it together. MAF needs to play at a more consistent higher level right now to instill any fear in me.

If only that same team would criticize officials when they do their job and their owner has a strong influence on Bettman...if only.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Heading to the game tonight, maybe I'll run into O'Brien after

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad