Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 Stars 4: Glen Gulutzan Gulugs His Gulatorade with Gulee

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Watched the game sort of drunk.

Things I noticed:

Schnieder played very poorly.
Refs suck.
Raymond Schroeder Hansen are awesome.
Kesler tried his stupid one man army move.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012

Things I noticed:

Refs suck.

Yeah... he did that a couple of times (to get into the zone) but he cycled the puck with his line very well afterwards.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Yeah... he did that a couple of times (to get into the zone) but he cycled the puck with his line very well afterwards.

I also noticed that.

Still, was extremely infuriating to see him even try that. It just means we're likely to see it more often when he gets more comfortable. :facepalm:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Looking forward to having a 3 line attack again and those points in the game where the team comes in waves. We didn't see as much of that with Malhotra and Pahlsson on the 3rd line.

No kidding. Until they let their foot off the gas, they looked more like the 2011 Canucks...

Kesler passing and Raymond charging the net. Words cannot describe.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Really Cory to blame for the Sharks and Anaheim loses? The team deserved to lose both. Luongo came in against Anaheim and gave up 2 goals in a period as well. I like Luongo and i am happy he doing well. The problem is all his fans dreaming of Luongo hero status. Luongo is playing great he has played great before, but when chips have been down he has been hit and miss. The team unfortuately seem to know when Luongo is shaky and play terribly in front of him. They do not seem to fall apart with Schneider infront of him.

Schneider gave up 5 goals on about 7 scoring chances against the Ducks. Canucks played the Sharks even in scoring chances.

The bolded part is not worth arguing, as it relies more on you (and others) projecting their feelings on to events than you drawing conclusions from events.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
What I took out of last night is how much more enjoyable the games are when we ice 3 offensive lines. Looking forward to having a 3 line attack again and those points in the game where the team comes in waves. We didn't see as much of that with Malhotra and Pahlsson on the 3rd line.

It is nice with an offensive third line again, but that third line was very serviceable.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
This was rarely the case when Lu was the starter, even when cory outplayed him by a wide margin.

Cory is being **** on by our organization imo.

Seriously? By Sunday Luongo will have had 1 start in 2 weeks. I don't think it's out of line to start him, especially given his .944 sv% against St. Louis last season.

And comparing how much rope a starter with a decade of excellence is given compared to a guy with 63 starts to his name is kind of silly.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Seriously? By Sunday Luongo will have had 1 start in 2 weeks. I don't think it's out of line to start him, especially given his .944 sv% against St. Louis last season.

And comparing how much rope a starter with a decade of excellence is given compared to a guy with 63 starts to his name is kind of silly.

Apparently when it comes to our goalies we should unseat Luongo because Schneider plays well against weak competition, but when the Sedins go on a 10 game pointless streak we should keep giving them top minutes and 80% offensive zone start. Ah well.

Luongo clearly should start next game, and if he continues playing lights out I would look to give him the bulk of the starts going forward. Cory isn't bad, but Luongo has been playing like Tim Thomas circa 2011. The Bruins were smart enough to recognize it and run with it, we should be too.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
It is nice with an offensive third line again, but that third line was very serviceable.

The 3rd line with pre-injury Malhotra was very strong. But in terms of entertainment value, I prefer a Wellwood/Hodgson/Schroeder centered unit...

It will be interesting to see how Schroeder and the 3rd line looks next game. Those big, strong, defensive oriented clubs will be standing in our way of getting out of the West and if Schroeder can play well in that game, it bodes well for his future in Vancouver.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Apparently when it comes to our goalies we should unseat Luongo because Schneider plays well against weak competition, but when the Sedins go on a 10 game pointless streak we should keep giving them top minutes and 80% offensive zone start. Ah well.

When was the last time the Sedins went on a 10 game pointless streak? I would bet not once since they have played top minutes.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver

Things I noticed:

Refs suck.

I agree with almost everything above but I thought Kesler had a pretty good game last night. He hit a post he threw a few hits which I liked and I almost forgot, he pulled a penalty giving us a powerplay. I thought the whole team did good but they just sat back mid way threw the 2nd and the whole 3rd. Overall I thought Kesler was dangerous last night.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The 3rd line with pre-injury Malhotra was very strong. But in terms of entertainment value, I prefer a Wellwood/Hodgson/Schroeder centered unit...

It will be interesting to see how Schroeder and the 3rd line looks next game. Those big, strong, defensive oriented clubs will be standing in our way of getting out of the West and if Schroeder can play well in that game, it bodes well for his future in Vancouver.

As long as Schroeder's line doesn't get scored on then I think there's no need to move on from him as our 3C. I think last night was the first game where he was on the ice for a goal against, which is quite impressive. It's nice having a third line that can push the pace offensively, and unless they become a defensive liability with sporadic offense we should leave the line alone and let it continue to develop.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
1 game or not, If we can get a significant player for schneider instead of luongo, can't we at least think about doing that trade?.

Luongo won't get us big value, and his "chokes" in the playoff's were badly overrated.

If we can get a A type prospect/player and a pick for schneider I would do it.

Remember we have young kids coming up soon also, eddie lack, canatta

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
:laugh: I love how all of a sudden "Trading Schnieder for a good package and keeping Lu" is now acceptable to talk about after I was called out (flamed) just a month ago for saying it.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
No kidding. Until they let their foot off the gas, they looked more like the 2011 Canucks...

Kesler passing and Raymond charging the net. Words cannot describe.

This is why the waved off goal pissed me off so much. May Ray finally gets a greasy goal but NOPE enforced parity means we can't have a player who scores goals like that

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The team is doing well right now to limit 2nd (3rd, 4th, etc.) opportunities and it's highlighting the differences between Schneider and Luongo. There is no better goalie in the league at stopping the first shot than Luongo. If the team can continue playing like this then they obviously need to consider whether trading him is the right move.

Going by the historical facts though, I would guess that they can't really keep it up and will soon be back to giving up 2nd and 3rd opportunities all over the place. I think Schneider is the better goaltender in that case.

enuck

Relax and enjoy
Jan 20, 2007
Under a palapa
The team is still adjusting and while it's great to have Kesler back, especially crashing and banging, his return does force the team to now re-adjust to him being in the line up; I expect the same when Booth is back. An improved power play will change things for the better. I'm not seeing the dominance in the neutral zone. The Sedins are getting there but you can tell they're still a bit out of sync.

Garrison will come along just fine, probably in a week or two. Bieksa has been good but his so called casualness and defensive lapses is something I've learned to live with, the same goes with Edler. Unless those two are able to take their game to the next level they will always be just 'very good defensemen' with offensive upsides. I have never expected either to become elite but you never know.

Goalies have off nights so I'm not concerned, we have the luxury of a great tandem. Cory will bounce back and at some point Bobby Lou will crap the bed - it's expected.

On the bright side I've liked a lot of what I've seen so far, we have a tough, gritty, speedy, talented team with two very good goalies and when our special teams start clicking we're going to be tough to beat, on the down side there are other teams in our conference that have the same qualities - it's not going to be a cake walk.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
1 game or not, If we can get a significant player for schneider instead of luongo, can't we at least think about doing that trade?.

If Luongo would be happy in Vancouver and Schneider is garnering a significantly better return it's something to consider. I'm not convinced Luongo wants to be so far from Florida any longer though.

Gillis apparently wants to get younger and swapping a 32 year old Malhotra for a 22 year old Schroeder as well as a 33 year old Luongo for a 27 year old Schneider goes a long way in doing so.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If Luongo would be happy in Vancouver and Schneider is garnering a significantly better return it's something to consider. I'm not convinced Luongo wants to be so far from Florida any longer though.

Gillis apparently wants to get younger and swapping a 32 year old Malhotra for a 22 year old Schroeder as well as a 33 year old Luongo for a 27 year old Schneider goes a long way in doing so.

The biggest concern being Luongo's contract where it stipulates he can trigger a trade in about 2 years from now. Hard to move Schneider and end up being without an elite goalie after 164 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad