Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Predators 0: Expo Ernie Conquers the Sunsphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Canucks got this (hopefully)! I'm going to say 3-2. Daniel Sedin, Booth and Garrison with the goals.

Pseudonymous*

I hope for Kesler to remember how to use his linemates :( So much untapped potential

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Preds look a lot better than they did at the start of the year, and Weber has engaged Grizzly Adams/beast mode with something like 6 points in 5 games.

Gonna be a tough one. Nashville still has trouble scoring though. 2-1, in one direction, or the other

Pseudonymous*

Give him time. Be patient.

be patient? lol what do you mean, i wasn't even referring to his play this season. hes been this player since he scored 40 :( i thought with the injury, he might have extra time on his hands and see all the people in the media and online who mention this and maybe start to use them a little more often but nope. has the coach said anything about him using his linemates more? i seem to recall a.v saying something to the media about it (last year?) and kesler still never changed his way. i am reaching when i hope that he changes his ways

im starting to think that we should stack the 3rd line and let him play with whoever because it doesn't matter ;) theyre basically there to give him puck support and get his rebounds

haha dont get me wrong, not criticizing, love him as a player and he can almost carry a line, hes also great on the PP. i just know if he used his linemates more, he could be even better... but its been a long time since he's been that player and dont expect him to go back now

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hard to not be a helicopter line when your linemates are contributing very little. Can't blame any of his linemates though. Samuelsson was injured all of the 10-11 season, and Raymond faded in and out of the line-up with injury but had brief periods of superb play that season.

Then when everything was finally coming together last year, Higgins fell victim to recurring foot problems after an excellent stretch of play, Booth was just hitting his stride got injured, came back played great and disappeared. To put the cherry on top of this crappy luck sundae, Kesler took a hard hit from Kronwall (some speculate he got injured on this play).

The guy hasn't had good linemates for an extended period of time in 3 years. And if we are going to sit here and complain about how reluctant a 40-goal scorer was to use his linemates in a season he actually had the most assists as well on his line, I don't find it time well-spent.

Pseudonymous*

Not complaining, first time i commented on it, i could care less if he didn't go back to his old ways but would be nice to see him do it. Given hes placed with good linemates.

IMO , i think the best second line is booth/kesler and Kassian. I think those guys are great linemates

If Kesler wants to score, give it to Kassian and get into a scoring area because kassian can dish

But you definitely make a good point of how his linemates have been in and out of the lineup.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Colin Wilson seems to be leading them in every O category. On paper these guys look like a one line team. One D pairing and one goalie, too.

Watching Weber play is always a treat. These teams are near matched in the standings. It might be a good game and a playoff preview?

I think I'd like to play Schnieder for a few weeks, before the trade deadline gets any closer. Perhaps not in back to back games, but maybe even then. Here's why, this team is morphing into a different kind of beast. It's being done by guys on their own. Some guys are being reckless with it. Injuries haven't been plentiful, but that can change. Many teams are facing injury woes and their seasons will end prematurely because of it. The Canucks do not have to be another team without options, they can trade for help. I'd only trade a goalie if I was certain I was going with the other guy. Even then, I'd rather hang on to both for a run, I'm just saying in the case of a need developing they have to be ready. Part of readiness is surety and you can't really be sure with a small sampling.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
be patient? lol what do you mean, i wasn't even referring to his play this season. hes been this player since he scored 40 :( i thought with the injury, he might have extra time on his hands and see all the people in the media and online who mention this and maybe start to use them a little more often but nope. has the coach said anything about him using his linemates more? i seem to recall a.v saying something to the media about it (last year?) and kesler still never changed his way. i am reaching when i hope that he changes his ways

im starting to think that we should stack the 3rd line and let him play with whoever because it doesn't matter ;) theyre basically there to give him puck support and get his rebounds

haha dont get me wrong, not criticizing, love him as a player and he can almost carry a line, hes also great on the PP. i just know if he used his linemates more, he could be even better... but its been a long time since he's been that player and dont expect him to go back now
Even if you felt that way before the injury, be patient still applies because he's still COMING off an injury and isn't going to play ideal hockey right off the hop.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Great avatar! :laugh: It's so awesome!

Courtesy of Zombotron. Saw his concept and absolutely loved it.

Even though I just took a jab at Kesler, it's done so in jest - we need to be patient with the guy. Between the end of last season and about a month ago, he couldn't even practice due to his injuries. There are going to be some bumps in the road as he continues getting his game pace back to 100%. At least we can say he's given the PP a shot in the arm at this point. The overall presence will come soon.

Alflives*

Canucks D looks too small, excepting Edler. Hopefully, they play bigger tonight.

Alflives*

Courtesy of Zombotron. Saw his concept and absolutely loved it.

Even though I just took a jab at Kesler, it's done so in jest - we need to be patient with the guy. Between the end of last season and about a month ago, he couldn't even practice due to his injuries. There are going to be some bumps in the road as he continues getting his game pace back to 100%. At least we can say he's given the PP a shot in the arm at this point. The overall presence will come soon.

Does Kesler have a NTC?

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
One thing I like about Kesler's game is he's worked on his one timer. If you watch teams like the Pens and Flyers, it's essential to get those shots off quickly if you're not wizardly like the Sedins. Kesler's timing is a bit off, but he's got some of that Bret Hull swag in his setup now, which is great.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver

Kesler is not and will likely never be the kind of player who "uses his linemates" the way we want him to. He is not a cerebral puck distribution player. He plays a very high tempo north-south game and most of his value comes via his ferocious compete level, his strength and speed, and his ability to win puck battles. He's very much a DIY player and probably always will be.

That doesn't mean his linemates will necessarily starve for points playing with him, it just means Kesler likes to have the puck, and is likely to be the first guy to retrieve it if he doesn't. His speed/power game has suffered substantially from the injuries he suffered, starting in the Stanley Cup drive when he wrecked his hip. This is likely a huge factor in his mild decline last season, and rust is a huge factor in his struggles this year.

I actually think Higgins/Hansen/Kassian are the right line mates for Kesler this year, whereas Booth/Raymond are best suited for our diminutive puck moving hobbit, Schroeder. Hansen and Higgins have yeomen work ethic and can play the puck pursuit/cycle game with Kesler, and Kassian is a pass first player who seems to be good at finding seams in heavy traffic (when his head is in the game). Booth and Raymond are both solo dash players who, like Ryan, like having the puck on their stick.

TLDR - It's way, way too early to even speculate that Kesler has undergone some massive decline. He may never hit 40 again, but his defensive game should improve as he ages. There's no reason he can't be an effective forward into his late 30's, and his cap hit is not punitive. It can take a long time for guys to "look right" after major injury. You saw it with Bieksa, you saw it with Raymond. You're seeing it with Kesler.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
^^

Agreed for the most part. I also would add, I don't think our organization has ever done a great job of finding ideal linemates for Kesler.

I might also add, Kesler is never going anywhere.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Not really concerned about Kesler's offensive game, more concerned about his current defensive game. AV needs to start giving him easier minutes or one of these days that line will dig a big enough hole that the rest of the team (and PP Kesler) won't be able to get them out of it.

He's clearly not up to speed, this is not the time to be asking him to play against other top lines.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
It's the flip side of asking everyone to take a discount. If you are a team negotiating a contract you have to come to the game with something to offer a player if you are going to ask them to take a deal. It just makes sense.

Look at it from the player's POV. Ok, I am going to take a great deal to play in a city I love playing in on a team I love to play for, then because my contract is so great I will be easily movable if for whatever reason the team changes its mind down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad