Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1, Blue Jackets 2 (OT) - Part II

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
They did the smart thing by trading Kessel for 2 picks that turned into solid players, 1 being a potential superstar in Seguin.

Couple that with the fact that they had young players in Lucic, Marchand, Krejci and Bergeron entering their primes, I'm not surprised.

They're going to really feel the hit though whenever Chara retires or takes a step back. But that may be a while away.

I think they will be fine, lose chara, and Hamilton is getting better.

That team will be very very good for a long time.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think they will be fine, lose chara, and Hamilton is getting better.

That team will be very very good for a long time.
Chara is a beast. He adds so much courage and toughness to that group. Hamilton will be solid but I dont think they're not going to miss Chara.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
--Worst stretch for Edler since the LA series last year. Once Bieksa or Ballard get healthy, bench him for a game. Terrible night. Directly at fault for the OT winner against. Sick of seeing him let guys go flying by him; needs some tough Ballard love from the coach (assuming he has any interest in walking the walk for everyone).

Edler played 26 minutes tonight, so I wasn't surprised when he basically fell down on that winning goal. He can't handle any more than 22-23 IMO. His best seasons have been when he has averaged that much, and he's played worse in his own zone since he's been asked to average more.

You know, it is possible for Edler to be an elite, #1 defenceman without playing 25 minutes a game. We're supposed to have the defence corps to have a pretty even distribution of minutes.

For example, did he really have to kill 2:35 of penalties? It's not like he is a world-beating PK guy.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Edler played 26 minutes tonight, so I wasn't surprised when he basically fell down on that winning goal. He can't handle any more than 22-23 IMO. His best seasons have been when he has averaged that much, and he's played worse in his own zone since he's been asked to average more.

You know, it is possible for Edler to be an elite, #1 defenceman without playing 25 minutes a game. We're supposed to have the defence corps to have a pretty even distribution of minutes.

For example, did he really have to kill 2:35 of penalties? It's not like he is a world-beating PK guy.

Well the alternative was likely playing either Barker or Alberts on the PK...

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

26 minutes is not that much, thats a poor excuse.

I don't disagree that he should play less, but I don't think that he will play better with less ice-time

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So, i'm not a big fan of this Cam Barker guy. lol.

Only a matter of time before he surfaces on the #1PP unit though, i'm sure.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
26 minutes is not that much, thats a poor excuse.

I don't disagree that he should play less, but I don't think that he will play better with less ice-time

It's not an excuse, it's an observation. Not everyone can handle those minutes. I think we just assumed he could because he has so much talent.

I say let him play his normal PP time and his normal ES shift, see what happens. It also gives minutes to your lower pairs and reduces wear and tear on your top guys.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
It's not an excuse, it's an observation. Not everyone can handle those minutes. I think we just assumed he could because he has so much talent.

I say let him play his normal PP time and his normal ES shift, see what happens. It also gives minutes to your lower pairs and reduces wear and tear on your top guys.

To suggest that a dman falling down is acceptable because he is playing an extra couple minutes a night (in a game with OT) is being too generous to Edler.

Don't disagree he should play less. Hell, i want him scratched.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
To suggest that a dman falling down is acceptable because he is playing an extra couple minutes a night (in a game with OT) is being too generous to Edler.

no, but when a someone is overplayed and extremely tired, their decision making may not be up to their standard.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013

I bet he would've been in the shootout lineup if it went past OT :sarcasm:

There have been quite a few games so far that should be "wake up" games. I have to agree that this team's jump hasn't been the same since that Boston game.

The Sedins are carrying us and keeping us in games. Garrison is looking better with each game he gets in.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'm usually pretty positive, but it's taken it's toll on me when there really isn't anything to be positive about right now. We haven't just started playing terrible, it's be ongoing for awhile. How anyone can be positive heading into the playoffs is my hero because I just don't feel confident anymore in this team as I have in the past.

I think a lot has to do with AV and the coaching staff, but we need a top six scorer so, so bad.

It has to. I cannot believe our roster has already hit the twilight phase, not when you see flashes of brilliance - primarily from the Sedins, but brilliance nevertheless. Boston may have slightly better depth on the forward side however, I would argue both our defense and goaltending is superior. We have the roster, albeit with a little tweaking here or not. Whether we go fishing in the off season for a top six forward or Kassian or Jensen become one. I do believe we can commit. Just not with AV.

The one thing Boston has done that we have not, is evolve. They play a different style than they did two years. Physical, yes but they adapted skill and rounded other aspects of their game to keep up with quick teams like Montreal. We have done no such thing and it has finally caught up with us. Normally, I could tolerate a loss to Columbus or the occasional slump; they happen to every team who isn't Chicago this season. However, this is not something fresh out the past week. We have been an inconsistent mess since last year - supposedly saving up for the playoffs. I only we do not go the Buffalo or San Jose route and toil around when obvious fixes need to be made.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I bet he would've been in the shootout lineup if it went past OT :sarcasm:

There have been quite a few games so far that should be "wake up" games. I have to agree that this team's jump hasn't been the same since that Boston game.

The Sedins are carrying us and keeping us in games. Garrison is looking better with each game he gets in.

yup canucks once again 1-line team.

Although not the biggest fan of Garrison and felt we got him at a high price(bought high instead of low)

He is solid defensively. Not the most mobile, but hes positionally solid. And pretty good along boards/front of net.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Just watched the replay of the game and cursed Edler's name so loud, I'm pretty sure most of the lower mainland heard me.

So insanely frustrating.

Edler pressuring along the boards was okay to do, I mean, he could have executed it 10x better but it was Henrik who should have picked him up, but instead backed off to the far side of the slot.

He seemed to actually back up to make room for the guy as he drove towards the net.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Although not the biggest fan of Garrison and felt we got him at a high price(bought high instead of low)

He is solid defensively. Not the most mobile, but hes positionally solid. And pretty good along boards/front of net.

I thought Garrison skates pretty well for a guy his size.

Alberts on the other hand.. 0_o

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Pretty much. We've got the Twins, and a whole raft of tweener, low creativity, relatively low hockey sense...hard working players. Blue collar types. Unfortunately...a lot of them aren't working hard with any consistency, and that really hurts them. The obvious solution is to ramp up the intensity...but i think we still need someone else with the ability to be a 'straw that stirs the drink' in terms of generating offense in different ways.

Agreed on Garrison as well. He's actually done some really nice things lately. I still think the mobility is suspect, and i question the wisdom of a $4.5M NTC deal for what is essentially a defensive defenceman with a big shot (with no Campbell here to set it up). But he's started to really settle in here, and his positional play is starting to show up in a positive way, as is his size, particularly in front of the net. Seeing how well he seems to be adjusting to the Right Side, makes me question why that wasn't the scenario from the start. But regardless...if he can continue to improve his play on the Right Side...i really think we need to revisit the Edler-Garrison pairing idea as soon as possible. If that can work, it completely changes the dynamic of our blueline...to what we were all hoping for when Garrison was signed.

But as you say, it was absolutely a 'buy high' signing. As improved as his play has been of late...i'm not sure we ever see any better play out of Garrison than what he put together his last year in Florida. That's fine if he can get back to that level and improve or find ways to hide his mobility issues here...but it's not any kind of great bargain that many seemed to think it was originally (even if he did take less money to come home).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad