Can't take it anymore, USA Hockey - No Touch Offside Rule

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Who on God's earth has maintained this rule for USA Hockey...

My son has been playing down in Boston the last several weeks and it is beyond frustrating to watch hockey there with no delayed offside. NHL, Canada and the rest of the world do not follow this archaic rule, everywhere ele it is delayed off side which keeps the flow of the game going. There are about 20 more whistles and stoppage in play with this rule in place, can someone help explain why USA Hockey does not used delayed off side?

Rule 360:
(c) Any time the puck is carried into the attacking zone creating an offside play, play shall be stopped and a face-off conducted at the nearest neutral zone face-off spot.
Any time the puck was passed or shot into the attacking zone and creates an offside play, play will be stopped and the face-off will take place at the nearest last play face-off location where the pass or shot originated.

Someone needs to do something, what a terrible way for the game to be run.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Who on God's earth has maintained this rule for USA Hockey...

My son has been playing down in Boston the last several weeks and it is beyond frustrating to watch hockey there with no delayed offside. NHL, Canada and the rest of the world do not follow this archaic rule, everywhere ele it is delayed off side which keeps the flow of the game going. There are about 20 more whistles and stoppage in play with this rule in place, can someone help explain why USA Hockey does not used delayed off side?

Rule 360:
(c) Any time the puck is carried into the attacking zone creating an offside play, play shall be stopped and a face-off conducted at the nearest neutral zone face-off spot.
Any time the puck was passed or shot into the attacking zone and creates an offside play, play will be stopped and the face-off will take place at the nearest last play face-off location where the pass or shot originated.

Someone needs to do something, what a terrible way for the game to be run.
The way it was explained to me, directly from USA Hockey, was to force players to view their options, make passes and create more puck possession (i.e. regroups) instead of just blindly dumping the puck in. They felt it would help skills development, especially with defensemen.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
The way it was explained to me, directly from USA Hockey, was to force players to view their options, make passes and create more puck possession (i.e. regroups) instead of just blindly dumping the puck in. They felt it would help skills development, especially with defensemen.
Don't shoot the messenger.
Just got back from Beantown Classic, thanks for the response. I think the only thing it helps is kids with their faceoffs, because there are so many more...Was speaking to some of the Prep School coaches and they can't stand it, they are very thankful this rule doesn't apply to Prep School or College hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad