GDT: 'Canes (WC1) @ Caps (Met1) Game 1

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You don't but the Bolts are known for speed, skill and talent...not necessarily for crazy efforts or intensity. Last season their game fell apart after christmas and then they got outworked in the playoffs. Not gonna claim that they're lazy or whatever but they clearly underestimated the Jackets and failed to match their intensity in game 1. That won't happen to the Caps but I do think that the Canes have what it takes to beat them.
For what it's worth, I'm seeing a bunch of advanced stats guys picking the Canes to win this series, and the advanced stats guy on ESPN is picking us to win the Cup.

We could win this series, and I'm not sure it would be as much of an upset as it appears on paper.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
For what it's worth, I'm seeing a bunch of advanced stats guys picking the Canes to win this series, and the advanced stats guy on ESPN is picking us to win the Cup.

We could win this series, and I'm not sure it would be as much of an upset as it appears on paper.

These are the same stats that have been predicting us to go to the playoffs for the last X years.

I mean, sure, it's possible. But let's see these guys actually play a playoff game first.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
These are the same stats that have been predicting us to go to the playoffs for the last X years.

I mean, sure, it's possible. But let's see these guys actually play a playoff game first.
I really don't much care what happens, I'm just glad we are here. Just show some fight, make them sweat a bit and I'm happy about the state of the franchise. Just by making the playoffs and getting that weight off our shoulders, this year has been a success.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Yeah. Don't care much about advanced bs but Mrazek is in the Caps head and should he do well in game 1 this series could become a nightmare for the Caps.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Sent the kids off to school in Canes gear today. I’m in DC for the day, but back just in time for the game. Good luck!

Hey, friend! Glad to see you on this side of the forum! Hopefully we have a similar--yet hopefully, less heart attack inducing--win tonight.

On two unrelated notes:

Ticket prices continue to drop in DC. I'm tempted to maybe go grab some cheap seats, but almost every time i've gone to a home game there, the caps have won lol. On the other hand....that was when it was the Verizon Center--so maybe I'll have better mojo now. ::contemplates::

2. for the 1.5 people who care i've decided that for my "female version of the playoff beard" i'm doing a red or black (leaning toward black) nail polish. Since I already love those, I figured I'd just kill two birds with one stone. lol.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
2. for the 1.5 people who care i've decided that for my "female version of the playoff beard" i'm doing a red or black (leaning toward black) nail polish. Since I already love those, I figured I'd just kill two birds with one stone. lol.

For it to be a playoff beard analog, you can't repaint or touch up or cut your nails until the playoffs are over...

4ff44672-d4c8-42fe-a3d2-d91e9a2f4f16.jpg

RaleighBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Hey, friend! Glad to see you on this side of the forum! Hopefully we have a similar--yet hopefully, less heart attack inducing--win tonight.

On two unrelated notes:

Ticket prices continue to drop in DC. I'm tempted to maybe go grab some cheap seats, but almost every time i've gone to a home game there, the caps have won lol. On the other hand....that was when it was the Verizon Center--so maybe I'll have better mojo now. ::contemplates::

I really, REALLY regretted not having a Canes tie or some Canes dress socks to wear to DC today.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I really don't much care what happens, I'm just glad we are here. Just show some fight, make them sweat a bit and I'm happy about the state of the franchise. Just by making the playoffs and getting that weight off our shoulders, this year has been a success.

That's pretty much my outlook. As long as we put up a fight, whatever happens is a successful season. Even getting swept will be a teaching moment. Sort of a "Think about how hard you worked to get there, then realize that you have to take your game up yet another level to succeed there. Train hard this off-season to achieve that."

Because frankly, a team full of players that train like Brindamour year round should terrify anyone in the league.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That's pretty much my outlook. As long as we put up a fight, whatever happens is a successful season. Even getting swept will be a teaching moment. Sort of a "Think about how hard you worked to get there, then realize that you have to take your game up yet another level to succeed there. Train hard this off-season to achieve that."
Yep. This year is about setting the table for the next 10. Guys like Aho, Slvain, Pesce, Svech, McLovin, etc are all getting their feet wet in the playoffs and are going to see the level you need to play to have success. Hell, Svech is getting valuable playoff experience in his rookie season. And he turned 19 two weeks ago. These are all guys who are going to be the backbone of this franchise for the next decade and this is just the beginning. Its not about success this year, its about seeing where we are as a team to have that success next year and beyond. And damn, that's exciting.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
AchingSarcasticElephantbeetle-size_restricted.gif

#RAISEDUP this morning with a smile on my face (excuse the grammar lol).

Also, this is totally random but I was watching Rocky IV (one of my fave childhood movies) and got to the BEST SPORTS MONTAGE OF ALL TIME ( come @ me!) and it struck me:

Have we made our obligatory Rocky IV / Russian / Drago jokes yet?

Ovi vs I dunno, maybe Willy because he's an older dude with 3 cups going for 4 lol.

cut.png

Or maybe Rod (with his ridiculous and notorious workouts)---"Roddy IV" lol _-I dunno.

Rocky was #BackinBlack for his workout, too--ahaha.

giphy.gif

I've obviously had too much caffeine. But all this is to say........#GOCANES!

::Screams loudly at the top of the stairs::"OVI....OVIIIIIII!"

97hy.gif

"Roddy IV: Give em' the rod"

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Its not about success this year, its about seeing where we are as a team to have that success next year and beyond. And damn, that's exciting.
Totally agree. When Necas develops the team will have a core that can go deep in multiple years.

Though I also think RBA would love to get #4 for Williams. If the Canes win a round or two, next season could be closer to all-in than the next step. A good dilemma to face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad