GDT: Canes vs Oilers - a Thanksgiving Eve Soiree

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Any insight into why TDA is being scratched? Has he been bad this year? Tx
5v5, DeAngelo is on the ice for 4.03 GA/60. The next worst Canes defenseman is at 2.71, and it's Orlov, who's been the guy saddled with DeAngelo as a partner. TDA averages 12:06 5v5 per game.

For reference, Orlov's GA/60 with DeAngelo is 6.16 GA/60. When he's with Chatfield, his GA/60 is 1.34 GA/60. He's played similar time with each player 5v5.

Now, part of that is that Orlov and DeAngelo are terrible together and both better away from each other so that's not all on TDA, but he is the worst Canes defenseman 5v5. He's been on the ice for 13 GA and only 4 GF 5v5.

On the PP, TDA is on the ice for 8.8 GF/60, followed by Burns at 8.0 and Orlov at 6.4 (but Orlov has only played 28 min.). TDA averages about 3:24 per game on the PP.

So every game, that equates the Canes scoring 0.5 goals per game on the PP with Tony being out there. It also equates to the Canes giving up 0.8 goals per game 5v5 with Tony being out there.

For a team missing running with 2nd/3rd string goalies, that's why.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
The problem is the forcing of TDA to play with Orlov. Hes fine with Skjei or Slavin. Orlov needs someone to bail him out because he gets burned, loses his man, or becomes lost on the ice.

TDA needs someone to bail him out because he gets burned, loses his man, or is thinking about offense.

Orlov will not sit because hes being paid too much, In reality, We need to run 7D because Slavin is awful on the PP. Skjei is decent, and Burns has looked like he is struggling. Orlov is worse than all of them on the PP I think maybe because they had him playing on his off side because we are running 4F and a RD. Orlov is a LD and looks like a fish out of water trying to pass and keep pucks on the right side.

Our PP went 0/5 last night, and gave up a SHG, despite scoring 6 in 5v5 against a struggling goalie. The PP is awful without TDA, despite some people not wanting to admit it.

Chats is too good right now to sit. TDA needs to be on the PP. I'd pay real money for Orlov to be a healthy scratch. Yes I am biased against him because I think he is lazy and not buying in. The fact remains the PP sucks without TDA moving the puck, because he can pass like the devil. He has defensive issues but forcing him with Orlov has made it worse on him,

The PP will continue to suck until you find a way to keep him on it, and sit someone else. Orlov was a mistake, and that money should have been used elsewhere. TDA is as advertised, when you pair him with someone competent. Orlov is incompetent.

We need to be re-signing chat before someone else does as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daeavorn

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The problem is the forcing of TDA to play with Orlov. Hes fine with Skjei or Slavin. Orlov needs someone to bail him out because he gets burned, loses his man, or becomes lost on the ice.

TDA needs someone to bail him out because he gets burned, loses his man, or is thinking about offense.

Orlov will not sit because hes being paid too much, In reality, We need to run 7D because Slavin is awful on the PP. Skjei is decent, and Burns has looked like he is struggling. Orlov is worse than all of them on the PP I think maybe because they had him playing on his off side because we are running 4F and a RD. Orlov is a LD and looks like a fish out of water trying to pass and keep pucks on the right side.

Our PP went 0/5 last night, and gave up a SHG, despite scoring 6 in 5v5 against a struggling goalie. The PP is awful without TDA, despite some people not wanting to admit it.

Chats is too good right now to sit. TDA needs to be on the PP. I'd pay real money for Orlov to be a healthy scratch. Yes I am biased against him because I think he is lazy and not buying in. The fact remains the PP sucks without TDA moving the puck, because he can pass like the devil. He has defensive issues but forcing him with Orlov has made it worse on him,

The PP will continue to suck until you find a way to keep him on it, and sit someone else. Orlov was a mistake, and that money should have been used elsewhere. TDA is as advertised, when you pair him with someone competent. Orlov is incompetent.

We need to be re-signing chat before someone else does as well.

Skjei-TDA. Once again, Brindy needs to stop thinking of it like a "demotion" for Skjei. That's clearly not what it is.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Skjei-TDA. Once again, Brindy needs to stop thinking of it like a "demotion" for Skjei. That's clearly not what it is.
I dont know why we dont sit someone like Fast and run 7D. Let TDA take o zone draws, see mins with skjei against 4th lines / ideal matchups, put chat with Orlov, and run Pesh Skjei most of the time, with TDA being PPQB1.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We looked better last game. While I don’t agree at all with Slavin on pp2 the overall effect of Burns having the other unit as well as Orlov/Chat felt much more settled than we’ve been. I could see us sitting on this exact lineup until injuries force otherwise, and then Tony is back in if it’s a dman.

This lets Orlov settle in and get comfortable.

It’s funny we’ve been so focused on the TDA/Orlov issue I’ve hardly noticed talk of Bunting on the fourth. If Drury didn’t feel like he took a big step back confidence wise that would be a pretty dangerous fourth line, though they haven’t been bad. Much like Orlov I think Bunting needs some time to settle in, though I’d like to see him in the top six settling in.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
We looked better last game. While I don’t agree at all with Slavin on pp2 the overall effect of Burns having the other unit as well as Orlov/Chat felt much more settled than we’ve been. I could see us sitting on this exact lineup until injuries force otherwise, and then Tony is back in if it’s a dman.

This lets Orlov settle in and get comfortable.

It’s funny we’ve been so focused on the TDA/Orlov issue I’ve hardly noticed talk of Bunting on the fourth. If Drury didn’t feel like he took a big step back confidence wise that would be a pretty dangerous fourth line, though they haven’t been bad. Much like Orlov I think Bunting needs some time to settle in, though I’d like to see him in the top six settling in.
I feel like bunting is a very expensive 4th liner.

Or...we run with the lineup we had last game for a while to get some data before arbitrarily changing the lineup because your favorite player is the one scratched.
Hes far from my favorite, that's probably Svech, Burns, or Slavin. I just get tired of him being the scapegoat for a pair where the 7.6M anchor is the one who's not as advertised. We knew he needed a competent partner and he wasn't given one. To act like it's his fault is just projecting.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I dont know why we dont sit someone like Fast and run 7D. Let TDA take o zone draws, see mins with skjei against 4th lines / ideal matchups, put chat with Orlov, and run Pesh Skjei most of the time, with TDA being PPQB1.
"I dont know why we dont sit someone like Fast"

Last couple of games, Staal's line has been superb.....doesn't make any sense to sit Fast and break that up. In any event, that is often RBA's #1 line....he is not sitting anyone on that line.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
"I dont know why we dont sit someone like Fast"

Last couple of games, Staal's line has been superb.....doesn't make any sense to sit Fast and break that up. In any event, that is often RBA's #1 line....he is not sitting anyone on that line.
I mean it's true. I'm, mostly spitballing. I'd rather sit Drury than fast but maybe he has his confidence back and who is going to take those draws.

We really don't have a way to work in TDA with Chat on the menu.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I mean it's true. I'm, mostly spitballing. I'd rather sit Drury than fast but maybe he has his confidence back and who is going to take those draws.

We really don't have a way to work in TDA with Chat on the menu.
yup, unless DW decides to sell one of the non-signed D-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad