GDT: Canes Try On A Blue Jacket

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Martin has been great. That second goal wasn’t on him, when the puck hit Slavin’s stick it changed direction by almost a foot. That’s never on a goalie unless it’s a slow pitch softball. Which that wasn’t.

Martin looks the most consistent of the bunch we have right now. I have little faith in Raanta, and Koochie is unpredictable. Anderson is a mythical creature you only read about in books until he comes back and plays five plus games without hurting himself. I think we should blindfold both Anderson and Raanta, give them sticks and have at a piñata at the same time. We really only need them to step off curbs to get the desired result. With LTIR ensured, go get a different starter.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I wouldn’t say most here weren’t “concerned”… I would say many here weren’t all in on aggressive action to “fix” it.
I don't think many were concerned about our team defense. Goaltending, yes. But our crappy team D to start the season was clearly just a random bad stretch given how good it's been since Rod became coach. I remember most agreeing with that sentiment.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
While I do think the Canes get the short end of the stick when it comes to penalties, I also think their style of play contributes to them getting called for a lot of penalties.

They are the most aggressive forechecking team in the league and they play aggressively limiting time and space, so holds, trips, etc.. can be more frequent. The defensemen player very tight gaps and try to prevent the other team from getting through the neutral zone , so they are often having to react quickly to try and prevent an odd man rush, and our defensemen play that "borderline" interference style when the puck is dumped in. We also play more of a man to man once a team gets it in the zone, so we are right on guys vs. defending spaces. Also, some lines tend to get pinned in more easily where fatigue can lead to penalties.

We are a strong possession teams in terms of limiting opponents shots, taking shots and keeping it in the zone with aggressive forechecking and pinching D, but we don't have a lot of guys that carry the puck.

I'm not saying that's the whole thing, because we do seem to get "reputation" calls, but I think it's part of it.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
While I do think the Canes get the short end of the stick when it comes to penalties, I also think their style of play contributes to them getting called for a lot of penalties.

They are the most aggressive forechecking team in the league and they play aggressively limiting time and space, so holds, trips, etc.. can be more frequent. The defensemen player very tight gaps and try to prevent the other team from getting through the neutral zone , so they are often having to react quickly to try and prevent an odd man rush, and our defensemen play that "borderline" interference style when the puck is dumped in. We also play more of a man to man once a team gets it in the zone, so we are right on guys vs. defending spaces. Also, some lines tend to get pinned in more easily where fatigue can lead to penalties.

We are a strong possession teams in terms of limiting opponents shots, taking shots and keeping it in the zone with aggressive forechecking and pinching D, but we don't have a lot of guys that carry the puck.

I'm not saying that's the whole thing, because we do seem to get "reputation" calls, but I think it's part of it.
Everything you said was true, however, it doesn't explain that in that run of 12 games where we got more calls against than for we faced 3 of the top 5 teams in the league in penalty minutes.

2. Florida 798
3. Arizona 701
5. Minnesota 694.

Also we are not in the top 5 we are actually in the lower half at 521.

Zero explanation other then shit referees and or bias against.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, I've been saying the same about our play style for a few years with all the conspiracies. And I think the majority of the penalties that get called against us are very legit outside of the absurd Svech targeting at times.

I do think there have been a couple of egregious games recently where a number of penalties were missed against the other team, including some that looked like the exact things we had been called for that game. I'm sure the human element of Brindy's and the team's reputation on this stuff plays into it to some extent. And sometimes there is just bad reffing like there is bad play and there is no malicious intent.

I will say, related to the reffing topic, I can't stand how frequently Tripp uses the managing the game stuff when it comes to reffing. "I know that's probably a trip/hook/hold right there, but the Canes have been the better team so far/something about the flow of the game and I don't think you should call that." That shit is stupid. We do take stupid penalties frequently and at stupid times and that should be called.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Everything you said was true, however, it doesn't explain that in that run of 12 games where we got more calls against than for we faced 3 of the top 5 teams in the league in penalty minutes.

2. Florida 798
3. Arizona 701
5. Minnesota 694.

I wanted to re-check this because I think the Canes push down these standings for one reason in particular, but the point still largely stands:

# Minor Penalties:
2. Florida 254 (60 games, 4.23 minors / game)
5. Minnesota 237 (60 games, 3.95 minors / game)
6. Arizona 233 (59 games, 3.95 minors / game)
T13. Carolina 213 (60 games, 3.55 minors / game)

So if they differ from the "leaders" by 0.4 to 0.7 minors per game, is it really a shock that Carolina didn't get more PP than those specific teams? Not really. The run of not having more PP than the opposition over 12 games is more surprising to me.

The penalty minutes are skewed in part because Carolina is tied with Pittsburgh for the fewest major penalties in the NHL (5 all season.) But that largely doesn't factor into power plays due to fighting majors, so I prefer to look at the number of minors.

Minnesota leads the league with 32(!) major penalties on the season.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Yeah, I've been saying the same about our play style for a few years with all the conspiracies. And I think the majority of the penalties that get called against us are very legit outside of the absurd Svech targeting at times.

I do think there have been a couple of egregious games recently where a number of penalties were missed against the other team, including some that looked like the exact things we had been called for that game. I'm sure the human element of Brindy's and the team's reputation on this stuff plays into it to some extent. And sometimes there is just bad reffing like there is bad play and there is no malicious intent.

I will say, related to the reffing topic, I can't stand how frequently Tripp uses the managing the game stuff when it comes to reffing. "I know that's probably a trip/hook/hold right there, but the Canes have been the better team so far/something about the flow of the game and I don't think you should call that." That shit is stupid. We do take stupid penalties frequently and at stupid times and that should be called.
Good points. I’d add that we have a roster of “honest” players (well there is bunting) that are not call magnets through diving down when touched.

Watched Canuck-kings this afternoon and a fiala clear dive drew an important penalty in the 3rd. Kings scored on that PP and was that key to stopping Vancouver momentum.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

2. Florida 798
3. Arizona 701
5. Minnesota 694.

What @Chrispy said. You are looking at total PIM.

Secondly, it seems to me that teams that dump and chase more (like the Canes) would tend to DRAW fewer penalties on average. It's just speculation, but when teams carry the puck into the zone with more skill, it seems to me the opposition would have more infractions trying to stop them.

As I said, that's not ALL of it. Rod's screaming all the time could play a role. Svech has a reputation for some reason and gets his share of bad calls, etc.., but this isn't all because refs are biased.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
What @Chrispy said. You are looking at total PIM.

Secondly, it seems to me that teams that dump and chase more (like the Canes) would tend to DRAW fewer penalties on average. It's just speculation, but when teams carry the puck into the zone with more skill, it seems to me the opposition would have more infractions trying to stop them.

As I said, that's not ALL of it. Rod's screaming all the time could play a role. Svech has a reputation for some reason and gets his share of bad calls, etc.., but this isn't all because refs are biased.
I get all that but the odds are if you play 3 teams that are in the top 10 in taking penalties too 5 in penalty minutes that at least against one of those teams you would have more PP

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I also wonder if part of the discretion is that I think the Canes dive less frequently than other teams. Perhaps I'm just a homer, and there's probably not statistics anywhere to verify my hunch. But it seems to me pretty frequent that a player will fall down more easily and look to the ref for other teams, but that we don't do it much. All teams sell calls to an extent. My theory is that Rod frowns upon anything of the sort.

I wonder what y'all think about that. I pretty much only watch Canes games and I completely recognize that this theory is not researched.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I also wonder if part of the discretion is that I think the Canes dive less frequently than other teams. Perhaps I'm just a homer, and there's probably not statistics anywhere to verify my hunch. But it seems to me pretty frequent that a player will fall down more easily and look to the ref for other teams, but that we don't do it much. All teams sell calls to an extent. My theory is that Rod frowns upon anything of the sort.

I wonder what y'all think about that. I pretty much only watch Canes games and I completely recognize that this theory is not researched.
We get called for dives. But don't have nor know the numbers but feel we get more calls for diving then the other teams against us. Know this was true a few seasons ago

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad