Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign PDG (1 yr, $750,000)

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The only Checker I see as a 4th liner is Wallmark. The rest should be top 9 here or we're mis-slotting them. Let them marinate in Charlotte.
I'm surprised about PDG as well....not necessarily disappointed, but surprised. As of right now, this is the forwards corps that I see:

Aho
Teravainen
Necas
Svechnikov
Skinner (or Skinner replacement)
Staal
Williams
McGinn
Ferland
Martinook
DiGiuseppe
Rask

That's 12 guys, so there's a 13th forward slot left to be filled. Maybe the fear is that Necas won't really be ready and will need some time in Charlotte. I don't know, but that group has 2 tried and true centers. Not sure I'm a fan of this construction at the moment. I'm guessing something's gotta give.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
PDG's development stagnated. we nearly cut bait on him last season over a quibble with his guarantee if memory serves. it's good to be able to have such a close comparable in brock mcginn to illuminate how underwhelming his lack of progress has been. same draft within a few picks of each other with very similar skillsets and starting points. one has made himself into an nhl player and the other has never really caught on. with zykov and foegele in particular catching him developmentally, this was something of a formality. have to imagine that both of those guys are shaking their heads already with every addition of guys like martinook, ferland, and maenalanen. no need to further gum up the works with a known quantity with little upside or long term future with the club.

have to think that missed opportunity at the draft that dundon was referencing was grubauer. it seems like if we could have gotten another first, we would have been able to make it worth the risk of trading him inside the conference/division. the fact that we immediately became a rumored destination for hutton after the draft seems to lend some credence to how hard we pushed for that one. interesting that hutton is a thunder bay native. curious if there's a connection to the staal family. still really interested to see what shakes out in that situation. it seems like the best of the rest after hutton are names like lehtonen, halak, etc. no certified upgrades over cam. the trade market might really open things up depending upon who goes where. some team with a starter in waiting might decide it's time to move forward with the popular backup and cut costs a bit. tough to imagine that plan A for us was to compete for the best at the position in the unrestricted market. but it's good to know, as they should, that goaltending is considered the largest remaining unaddressed concern.

i am bullish on trevor van riemsdyk's importance to this team as its currently assembled. the concept of minimizing his importance based on having roland mckeown and his 10 games of nhl experience seems unwise at a position in which we are already pretty green. not to mention the other options behind mckeown are a 22 year old swiss defenseman who came to the chl to be drafted and went home without being drafted and trevor carrick. not exactly an inspiring look. it would be really interesting to see carolina sign a veteran defenseman with some snarl for the bottom pairing. dan hamhuis would be a good option. alexei emelin wouldn't be terrible. but as for TVR, just pay the man. if he goes to arbitration they're going to put a silly price tag on him. lock him up for 2 years at market value and see how the development of the rest of our group comes. we should know by now to not knock the jack of all trades master of none types. we won a stanley cup with several of them.

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
I'm surprised about PDG as well....not necessarily disappointed, but surprised. As of right now, this is the forwards corps that I see:

Aho
Teravainen
Necas
Svechnikov
Skinner (or Skinner replacement)
Staal
Williams
McGinn
Ferland
Martinook
DiGiuseppe
Rask

That's 12 guys, so there's a 13th forward slot left to be filled. Maybe the fear is that Necas won't really be ready and will need some time in Charlotte. I don't know, but that group has 2 tried and true centers. Not sure I'm a fan of this construction at the moment. I'm guessing something's gotta give.

Probably some moves to be made for other positions etc...but that list of forwards IMO has the most talent of any team we've iced in a while. Hoping next moves are as good on paper as what we've seen this far

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
PDG on a one-way deal is a head scratcher to me.

awesome. right as i was typing a post about how superfluous he is presently and how not qualifying him was actually pretty smart as it pertains to moving depth through the system on a revolving basis. we could ice 6 lines of not entirely out of place nhl talent and that's 0% exaggeration.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I see this as being simply signing a known quantity just in case some of our other guys don't work out for whatever reason. Lock in your backup plan guy so you don't scramble later. He can be a healthy scratch, or if he gets outplayed you waive him and send him to Charlotte as a vet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad