Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Malte Stromwall - 1 year 2 way

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have been looking deeper into this signing because it feels somewhat out of place. there was NHL interest in 19-20 after his KHL season with Sochi, but those overtures were rebuffed in favor of signing another deal and being traded to SKA, where he was extended for 2 years and then "failed" his audition by only scoring 8 goals in 21 games. he was flipped back to Minsk and played 1 year of the deal and then opted out it seems. he was rumored heavily to Detroit and Edmonton in the '20 offseason before deciding to stay put.

what stood out to me was his elite speed and elite shot. for those that remember, he has a little michael grabner to his game, inconsistency and all. I don't think he'll play for the wolves very long if he does at all, because he's a hot commodity in europe still at this point. he could go back to liiga and pick his spot more than likely. if he ends up not making the club in some capacity, he's probably back overseas before christmas. very interesting. if he comes over and shows that speed and finishing ability, he could be difficult to keep off the team. I haven't seen much said about him, but this is a good gamble. he just needed the right place to jump in and the speed of Carolina's system probably appealed to him.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I have been looking deeper into this signing because it feels somewhat out of place. there was NHL interest in 19-20 after his KHL season with Sochi, but those overtures were rebuffed in favor of signing another deal and being traded to SKA, where he was extended for 2 years and then "failed" his audition by only scoring 8 goals in 21 games. he was flipped back to Minsk and played 1 year of the deal and then opted out it seems. he was rumored heavily to Detroit and Edmonton in the '20 offseason before deciding to stay put.

what stood out to me was his elite speed and elite shot. for those that remember, he has a little michael grabner to his game, inconsistency and all. I don't think he'll play for the wolves very long if he does at all, because he's a hot commodity in europe still at this point. he could go back to liiga and pick his spot more than likely. if he ends up not making the club in some capacity, he's probably back overseas before christmas. very interesting. if he comes over and shows that speed and finishing ability, he could be difficult to keep off the team. I haven't seen much said about him, but this is a good gamble. he just needed the right place to jump in and the speed of Carolina's system probably appealed to him.

Early this year Finnmedia reported it a minor miracle that Stromwall was left out from the Sweden Olympic Team, along with another Swedish Minsk player Mattias Tedenby. No explanation was given. Might be there was some Lukashenko embargo stuff and their playing in Minsk wasn't greeted with approvement.

At the end of the article there's a quote from Malte, saying that he still dreams of playing in NHL and if he was given an offer he wouldn't have to think long.

As for the opting out, most of non-Russian players were looking to ditch KHL after the February invasion to Ukraine. Maybe Malte got his KHL contract terminated in the spring like many others.

Not everyone would or could, obviously, due to high contract breach penalties and whatnot, and nowadays there are a non-negligible amount of reports of western players signing to KHL.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Early this year Finnmedia reported it a minor miracle that Stromwall was left out from the Sweden Olympic Team, along with another Swedish Minsk player Mattias Tedenby. No explanation was given. Might be there was some Lukashenko embargo stuff and their playing in Minsk wasn't greeted with approvement.

At the end of the article there's a quote from Malte, saying that he still dreams of playing in NHL and if he was given an offer he wouldn't have to think long.

As for the opting out, most of non-Russian players were looking to ditch KHL after the February invasion to Ukraine. Maybe Malte got his KHL contract terminated in the spring like many others.

Not everyone would or could, obviously, due to high contract breach penalties and whatnot, and nowadays there are a non-negligible amount of reports of western players signing to KHL.
Matthias Tedenby the former first rounder of Jersey? That guy had a soft set of mitts, I was rooting for him. The league was still a bit too big for him I think at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00