Confirmed with Link: Canes sign LW Michael Bunting 3 x 4.5M

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think we have missed a guy like McGinn. Not what McGinn has been since he left, but more what he was and what he represented while he was here. To me this is less power forward and more agitator and we really need that kind of bite. Orlov isn't exactly friendly post whistle either.

This is a true complimentary winger, not just a center playing wing out of center options being taken. great wheels, good enough all-around to not slow down a scoring line and a little piss and vinegar. Maybe we get the upside of Erik Cole if we can put him with Aho and Svech. It's not going to be a popular opinion, but I think those two can be prone to zombie shifts in low intensity games. they both have another gear, but sometimes you only get 3-4 shifts per game of their fastball. that goes for a lot of our lines. just kind of mindlessly executing the system.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think we have missed a guy like McGinn. Not what McGinn has been since he left, but more what he was and what he represented while he was here. To me this is less power forward and more agitator and we really need that kind of bite. Orlov isn't exactly friendly post whistle either.

This is a true complimentary winger, not just a center playing wing out of center options being taken. great wheels, good enough all-around to not slow down a scoring line and a little piss and vinegar. Maybe we get the upside of Erik Cole if we can put him with Aho and Svech. It's not going to be a popular opinion, but I think those two can be prone to zombie shifts in low intensity games. they both have another gear, but sometimes you only get 3-4 shifts per game of their fastball. that goes for a lot of our lines. just kind of mindlessly executing the system.
Agreed.

Put another way, Bunting is more of a "shit-stirrer" than pretty much anyone else on the team. We need some players with tenacity. Bunting is a lot of that. TDA moves the needle in that direction too. For as good as the core of the team is, most of our players just try to out-play you to win games, not play the mental or low key dirty game that Bunting can. Sandpaper. Truculence. Whatever you want to call it.

We have great players, but most of them on the back end just try to take the puck from you and move it up the ice, all business. Like Slavin, Pesce, Chat, Skjei. Burns is the only one who really can be a bit of an agitator, and TDA would be more of the same. At forward, the only guys who really can be a nuisance are Kotkaniemi and Martinook.

Sometimes it feels like our most nasty, physical player is our 3rd string goalie.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Also, I wanted to add that I too imagine Bunting will be on the Kotkaniemi line. Bunting / Kotka / Necas on paper seems like a great mix of grit and talent.

This also gives us a bit of a luxury where probably Jarvis will be out of the top 6 of a fully healthy lineup. We were desperate to add one top 6 guy, and now that we did we're kinda set for next year. If we don't make any moves, we are a better team on paper than in 22'-23'. Losing Ghost, Stepan, and Stastny while gaining Orlov, Bunting, and Drury or a rookie. That's an upgrade in my book.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Agreed.

Put another way, Bunting is more of a "shit-stirrer" than pretty much anyone else on the team. We need some players with tenacity. Bunting is a lot of that. TDA moves the needle in that direction too. For as good as the core of the team is, most of our players just try to out-play you to win games, not play the mental or low key dirty game that Bunting can. Sandpaper. Truculence. Whatever you want to call it.

We have great players, but most of them on the back end just try to take the puck from you and move it up the ice, all business. Like Slavin, Pesce, Chat, Skjei. Burns is the only one who really can be a bit of an agitator, and TDA would be more of the same. At forward, the only guys who really can be a nuisance are Kotkaniemi and Martinook.

Sometimes it feels like our most nasty, physical player is our 3rd string goalie.
I like adding a little more sandpaper to the line-up but I may be in the minority to think we haven't been lacking there. I think a lot of the beat you on the scoreboard comes from RBA.

I remember one of Burns' interviews last year he was talking about delivering some big crosschecks after the whistle in one of the earlier games and he looked up and Rod was giving him a stare and he knew he needed to tone that down going forward.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Also, I wanted to add that I too imagine Bunting will be on the Kotkaniemi line. Bunting / Kotka / Necas on paper seems like a great mix of grit and talent.

This also gives us a bit of a luxury where probably Jarvis will be out of the top 6 of a fully healthy lineup. We were desperate to add one top 6 guy, and now that we did we're kinda set for next year. If we don't make any moves, we are a better team on paper than in 22'-23'. Losing Ghost, Stepan, and Stastny while gaining Orlov, Bunting, and Drury or a rookie. That's an upgrade in my book.

It's interesting, because part of me does wonder where you play him. If you put him with Kotkaniemi, you might slow down Bunting and Necas a little. not like Jordan would, but I think we will see his role diminish some.

I think Necas wants to play up the middle and he has a lot of leverage with the contract coming up. Bunting on one side and Jarvis on the other? Let Teuvo play with Aho and Svech to get him some early momentum for once? Tank on the first line? Jarvis is underrated in the dirty ice and you need somebody out there with Bunting who isn't going to wilt to the increase in physicality that line might see. I think I like Kotkaniemi with Teuvo on the 3rd line and see if those guys together can have a better start this year than they did last year. Lots of good options.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It's interesting, because part of me does wonder where you play him. If you put him with Kotkaniemi, you might slow down Bunting and Necas a little. not like Jordan would, but I think we will see his role diminish some.

I think Necas wants to play up the middle and he has a lot of leverage with the contract coming up. Bunting on one side and Jarvis on the other? Let Teuvo play with Aho and Svech to get him some early momentum for once? Tank on the first line? Jarvis is underrated in the dirty ice and you need somebody out there with Bunting who isn't going to wilt to the increase in physicality that line might see. I think I like Kotkaniemi with Teuvo on the 3rd line and see if those guys together can have a better start this year than they did last year. Lots of good options.

I'd be shocked if Rod starts Necas in the middle at the start of the season. I think something like this is where he starts:

Bunting - Aho - Jarvis
Svech - KK - Necas
TT - Drury - Tank
Marty - Staal - Fast

I'd rather see this if Necas is not a center:

Bunting - Aho - Tank
Svech - KK - Necas
TT - Drury - Jarvis
Marty - Staal - Fast

But if Necas can be tried at center, then this looks good to me:

Svech - Aho - TT
Bunting - Necas - Tank
Drury - KK - Jarvis
Marty - Staal - Fast

If we still have TT after we are done with all of our offseason moves, I think he needs to be back with Aho to maximize his utility and performance.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Trying to hate our market as much as possible
Didn't reaaaaaaally think that question all the way through... started it and then half way through realized it was not going to land right and tried to talk their way out of the hole... but damage already done .. can't believe Bunting leaving that Toronto market and how it is soooo much different than where he is heading into the..... south.. yeah.. its a climate thing that is the difference in the markets... yup.. got it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad