Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Juha Jaaska (LW/RW) to 1 year ELC.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
14th forward type to see if he can be a 4th liner next year
This feels like Noesen/Tuevo insurance....I think 4th liner is most likely. When I look at next season we're shaping up to be:

XXX/Aho/Jarvis
Svech/Kuzy/Necas or UFA
Marinook or UFA/Staal/Fast
Lemieux or Rookie/Drury or Kotkaniemi/Noesen or UFA

Slavin/Burns
Orlov/Chatfield or UFA
UFA/Morrow or UFA

Kochetkov
Andersen

Fill in 13th forward, 7th defenseman, and Spencer Martin as needed.

BTW, Juha seems like a bit of a goal scorer.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Was a huge thorn in our side (Pelicans) in quarterfinals in Liiga, just did everything right and just kept on scoring while HIFK otherwise was a huge pile of shit.

Deserved deal, AHL bound for sure next year, depending on the camp of course, could get few NHL games too.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Was a huge thorn in our side (Pelicans) in quarterfinals in Liiga, just did everything right and just kept on scoring while HIFK otherwise was a huge pile of shit.

Deserved deal, AHL bound for sure next year, depending on the camp of course, could get few NHL games too.
thx for the input. Can you please describe his play, ie skating, physicality, etc?

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
more Finns more wins baby
8m60uk.jpg

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
thx for the input. Can you please describe his play, ie skating, physicality, etc?
I'm watching the semifinals atm, maybe some HIFK-fan can share more light on his play, they have all the time on their summerbreak right now :cool:

But he's a really smart player, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none, always seemed to be in the right spots, never took a lazy shift, very energetic

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Most likely full-time AHL player and emergency injury back-up.
I'm positively surprised if Jääskä plays even 1 NHL game.

Dream scenario
Cheap 4th line LW / RW who can kill penalties and score about 20-25 points.

Most likely scenario
1 season in AHL without NHL games and minutes and then back to Europe.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
In Canes player hierarchy Jääskä won't surpass any Canes prospect who's drafted to NHL.
Jääskä won't be more than full-time AHL player without significant NHL minutes
and after 1 AHL season back to europe ( Switzerland, Sweden etc ).
very true. We dont believe in calling up prospects to play 8-10 minutes a night on the 4th line, unless forced to. Jaaska may get an early opportunity than our draft guys because of that.

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
The Iceman cometh! (Jää means ice)

I am thrilled he gets a chance at playing in North America. Jääskä is a quality individual who was excellent for HIFK in his role. Like previous poster said, Jack of many trades and master of none. Does everything good to a point. Most likely AHL bound but I hope he gets some calls to play for the Canes. Do the Hurricanes sell their training camp jerseys?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The Iceman cometh! (Jää means ice)

I am thrilled he gets a chance at playing in North America. Jääskä is a quality individual who was excellent for HIFK in his role. Like previous poster said, Jack of many trades and master of none. Does everything good to a point. Most likely AHL bound but I hope he gets some calls to play for the Canes. Do the Hurricanes sell their training camp jerseys?
as in the game-worns? sometimes via auction but there's no given set date for them so it's an adventure to get one

would be able to order a customized Canes jersey online on Carolinaproshop though.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Since he's Finnish, I expect him to be as good, if not better, than Aho. Meet these expectations, there will be fame, fortune, cars, women, tee times at all the golf courses, free admission at all the nightclubs and chef tables at all the hottest restaurants.

Fail? Well, I don't make the rules.

The choice is his, may he choose wisely.

FinLurker

Aug 22, 2016
Best case scenario/upside: Cheap winger for 4th line Staal. Only happening if the cap is tight and Fast is too expensive.

• Haha
Reactions: WreckingCrew

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
as in the game-worns? sometimes via auction but there's no given set date for them so it's an adventure to get one

would be able to order a customized Canes jersey online on Carolinaproshop though.
Yes I was thinking game worn but if that doesn't work out I will check out the Pro Shop. Thank you!

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4