Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Brendan Lemieux for 1 year

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have no idea if he’s a racist but he did in fact bite a guy in a scrum.
BEHOLD THE EVIDENCE!!!
37DD79F8-35B7-4EEA-BA62-7FAD3A0FA7EE.jpeg

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
That he's cheap and doesn't suck.

I'd take the Trouba thing though.
By "take the Trouba thing" do you mean take his knockout- or take the signing of him instead I guess 3x4m is too much but maybe having the guy you'd like to have knocked out might be nice. What if he had been signed instead of Orlov?

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If he is smart with his assholeness we can use that.
At least this year will settle the debate about "do we need toughness/ truculence or not?"on here

I want to be motivated because I've been hoping for this for years but my prediction: Rod brutalizes him in the gym and snarls in his ear "I see you drop the gloves more than twice this year I'm stapling your balls to the same part of the wall we put Kevin Westgarth's on all them years ago! Just dump the puck and grind, damn your eyes!"

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
At least this year will settle the debate about "do we need toughness/ truculence or not?"on here

I want to be motivated because I've been hoping for this for years but my prediction: Rod brutalizes him in the gym and snarls in his ear "I see you drop the gloves more than twice this year I'm stapling your balls to the same part of the wall we put Kevin Westgarth's on all them years ago! Just dump the puck and grind, damn your eyes!"

Your second paragraph seems like hedging on your part to ensure we don't actually settle the debate in your first sentence unless it's settled in the direction you want it to be settled in...

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Your second paragraph seems like hedging on your part to ensure we don't actually settle the debate in your first sentence unless it's settled in the direction you want it to be settled in...

No- if this guy and Bunting and hopefully TDA actually engage in relevant amounts of fisticuffs and agitation/intimidation- then the end results will settle the argument.

I’m merely predicting Rod will suppress this behavior despite the fact that his verbal rages invite as many if not more penalties than agitators do. He is the only link between the eras of tough guys coming here and not doing what they did elsewhere:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No- if this guy and Bunting and hopefully TDA actually engage in relevant amounts of fisticuffs and agitation/intimidation- then the end results will settle the argument.

I’m merely predicting Rod will suppress this behavior despite the fact that his verbal rages invite as many if not more penalties than agitators do. He is the only link between the eras of tough guys coming here and not doing what they did elsewhere:

Michael Bunting: 1 career NHL fight in 2+ NHL seasons

TDA: 9 career NHL fights in 5+ NHL seasons (2 of which were with the Canes, right at his career average)

Lemieux is really the only "enforcer" here. And you're probably right that he won't fight 8 times or whatever this year.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Lemieux is really the only "enforcer" here. And you're probably right that he won't fight 8 times or whatever this year.
Hell Lemieux is one of only a handful of what I would consider true “enforcers” left in the entire league.

He’s really not good at anything but fighting, and when it comes to fighting my money is still on Sam Bennett or either of the Tkachuk brothers. And after they put a few lumps on Lemieux’s ole cement noggin they’ll continue to score more points in a season than he has his entire career.

This is our NYR Ryan Reeves moment.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Hell Lemieux is one of only a handful of what I would consider true “enforcers” left in the entire league.

He’s really not good at anything but fighting, and when it comes to fighting my money is still on Sam Bennett or either of the Tkachuk brothers. And after they put a few lumps on Lemieux’s ole cement noggin they’ll continue to score more points in a season than he has his entire career.

This is not our Ryan Reaves moment. The Rangers gave 34 year old Reaves a 2 year/$1.75M AAV contract and (even more hilariously) the NOT GOOD Patrik Nemeth a 3 year/$2.5M AAV contract on an eternally cap-strapped club because they wanted the gritty just that much. Lemieux is only 27 and is signed for 1 year at $800,000...a contract so low that if Rees, Suzuki, or Ponomaryov impress during the year, they can just seamlessly bury him in the AHL. It's not even close to the same planet.

Last edited:

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
This is not our Ryan Reaves moment. The Rangers gave 34 year old Reaves a 2 year/$1.75M AAV contract and (even more hilariously) the NOT GOOD Patrik Nemeth a 3 year/$2.5M AAV contract on an eternally cap-strapped club because they wanted the gritty just that much. Lemieux is only 27 and is signed for 1 year at $800,000...a contract so low that if Rees, Suzuki, or Ponomaryov impress during the year, they can just seamlessly bury him in the AHL. It's not even close to the same planet.
I appreciate you clarifying the differences in age and contractual obligations.

I was speaking more to the shift in FO idea that the team needs to employ a face puncher. Likely in reaction to Bennett killing Slavin and Tkachuk’s childish playoff antics.

I’m all for the team getting tougher, it’s something they’ve needed to address for quite some time imo. But Brendan dumb as a bag of hair Lemieux probably ain’t the move, just like Reeves wasn’t the move for the NYR.

Which AHL affiliation are they going to bury him in?

Reactions: cptjeff

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I appreciate you clarifying the differences in age and contractual obligations.

I was speaking more to the shift in FO idea that the team needs to employ a face puncher. Likely in reaction to Bennett killing Slavin and Tkachuk’s childish playoff antics.

I’m all for the team getting tougher, it’s something they’ve needed to address for quite some time imo. But Brendan dumb as a bag of hair Lemieux probably ain’t the move, just like Reeves wasn’t the move for the NYR.

Which AHL affiliation are they going to bury him in?
FWIW: Reeves point is solid but I suspect the team looked around the league and determined that he was the only tough guy available (there are few of them these days).

Put me in the camp that is happy the team finally realized that Aho’s/Necas’ etc need a big brother to protect them. Hopefully, he does that.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
FWIW: Reeves point is solid but I suspect the team looked around the league and determined that he was the only tough guy available (there are few of them these days).

Put me in the camp that is happy the team finally realized that Aho’s/Necas’ etc need a big brother to protect them. Hopefully, he does that.
I hope so but I just can’t see teams not taking liberties with Aho and Necas because Lemieux will be on the ice for 8 mins a night…

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I wouldn't even call Lemieux an enforcer, he's more a pest that's exceptionally good at goading other guys into fighting, and often getting them to get the extra 2 for an instigator or an unsportsmanlike on top of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad