Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Minnesota is one situation where Necas's RFA status might match well:

Minnesota signs Necas to a 1 year bridge, lets him play C or 1W, and then signs him to a long-term deal next season when the cap penalties are largely gone.

Necas would actually fit well short-term and long-term for Minnesota in that situation.
But they would have to pay through the nose for him(Rossi ++), and risk losing him because they can't sign him longterm this summer.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
But they would have to pay through the nose for him(Rossi ++), and risk losing him because they can't sign him longterm this summer.
Necas isn't a UFA until 2026. Even if they sign a 1 year bridge they have another year of team control with cap space to negotiate.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024

So I would expect that is what we are looking for out side of Tkachuk.

Hmmm. Players who come to mind are Mercer, Pinto, Vilardi, Thomas, Morgan Geekie, Nic Roy, Roslovic, Schmaltz, Lindholm (lol) but I feel like most of those guys aren't available.

Isn't Minnesota rumoured to be thinking of trading Rossi because they have other C players/prospects they like better?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Isn't Minnesota rumoured to be thinking of trading Rossi because they have other C players/prospects they like better?
Yurov excelling in the KHL after being moved to center might have changed the calculus a little it, but I'd hardly call it a reason to do anything drastic with Rossi. But there definitely seems to be some sort of smoke there.

Reactions: ameselare

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
If they’re looking for RH centers the writing seems to be on the wall for JG Pageau being moved this offseason. Friedman said last year that the Canes had shown interest in him, so it’s not unfounded. Perhaps a bigger deal around Pageau, pick #18, and Necas.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hmmm. Players who come to mind are Mercer, Pinto, Vilardi, Thomas, Morgan Geekie, Nic Roy, Roslovic, Schmaltz, Lindholm (lol) but I feel like most of those guys aren't available.

Well, they have no proven prospects that are better at Center than Rossi.

- Yurov has just switched to C recently in the KHL, and re-signed for another year.

- Bankier had only an OK, injury filled season in the AHL. Some promise, but needs more time in the AHL.

- Heidt had a nice season in the WHL, but most think that he will be a winger in the NHL, and is 2-3 years away from the NHL, at best. There are obvious doubts about him being a NHL'er at all, or he wouldn't have been picked at the ned of the 2nd round.

- Freddy Gaudreau, had an awful season. Rossi is better than him

- Ryan Hartman is the only guy who you could argue is better than Rossi right now, but I would bet on Rossi being better 2-3 years from now as he hits his prime and Hartman leaves his.

Kake Luchinni - nuff said.

Connor Dewar - trade for peanuts, for reasons that escape me, and in any event, Rossi is a better player.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Well, they have no proven prospects that are better at Center than Rossi.

- Yurov has just switched to C recently in the KHL, and re-signed for another year.

- Bankier had only an OK, injury filled season in the AHL. Some promise, but needs more time in the AHL.

- Heidt had a nice season in the WHL, but most think that he will be a winger in the NHL, and is 2-3 years away from the NHL, at best. There are obvious doubts about him being a NHL'er at all, or he wouldn't have been picked at the ned of the 2nd round.

- Freddy Gaudreau, had an awful season. Rossi is better than him

- Ryan Hartman is the only guy who you could argue is better than Rossi right now, but I would bet on Rossi being better 2-3 years from now as he hits his prime and Hartman leaves his.

Kake Luchinni - nuff said.

Connor Dewar - trade for peanuts, for reasons that escape me, and in any event, Rossi is a better player.
Yeah, I really like Rossi and if the Wild truly do believe that they have better C prospects/players than him, I disagree with them.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, I really like Rossi and if the Wild truly do believe that they have better C prospects/players than him, I disagree with them.
The thing is if the org sees Rossi and Khusnutdinov as equals, or relative equals, they're both undersized and they might not want both playing center.

I don't really understand why they wouldn't just move one to wing in that instance, but whatever.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
If they’re looking for RH centers the writing seems to be on the wall for JG Pageau being moved this offseason. Friedman said last year that the Canes had shown interest in him, so it’s not unfounded. Perhaps a bigger deal around Pageau, pick #18, and Necas.
I can't see JGP being a centerpiece of a Necas trade... we'd just keep Necas...we have enough quasi-2/3Cs

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I haven't read through this thread so maybe it's already been thrown out there but what about Necas for Konecny?

Flyers get two years younger to better compliment their time frame and the Canes get a versatile player who makes them a better team than Necas does for at least the here and now.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
I haven't read through this thread so maybe it's already been thrown out there but what about Necas for Konecny?

Flyers get two years younger to better compliment their time frame and the Canes get a versatile player who makes them a better team than Necas does for at least the here and now.
Huge TK fan. Thought they should've tried for him last TDL. Would hate to see Necas for 7+ years in the metro against us, but TK is a RBA style player.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024

Konecny's been thrown out there. I think the Canes would prefer a centre but Konecny can score and Rod would love him. Necas would do better in the Flyers' defensive system, and he would play well with a guy like Foerster. Foerster had an impressive rookie season, he's already a very defensively-responsible winger even though he's still very young. I think he used to play C in junior/the minors as well, so I don't know if the plan is to shift him over eventually, or if they think he's better at W at the NHL level.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The Canes do so many interesting, atypical things. It backfires occasionally, but is mostly successful. The one thing they did that I think is the height of stupidity is not having an AHL affiliate. Fixing that was the biggest move they made this season. They draft so well and make some smart bets, but that one was idiotic.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Sell Necas for the best offer. Sign Roslovic to play 2C/3C hybrid with Staal and Kuznetsov.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The thing is if the org sees Rossi and Khusnutdinov as equals, or relative equals, they're both undersized and they might not want both playing center.

I don't really understand why they wouldn't just move one to wing in that instance, but whatever.
Completely forgot about Marat. Better skater than Rossi, and possibly defensive C , but i don't see the same offense from him. I think Geurin is(was) uncomfortable with the thought of having him, Rossi, and Dewar as a trio of undersized Centers. I get his point, but having bigger Centers who can't play doesn't help things, either.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This whole 'I wanna play C' thing is so wild to me. Literally nothing Necas does on the ice, except for carry the puck well with speed, shows that he's capable of playing C.

- He's an offense first/offense only type player
- Doesn't use his linemates well
- Not a gifted passer
- Bad at faceoffs
- Not really strong defensively or general on ice awareness

What he's good/great at?

- Skating... like literally top 3 in the league
- Shooting, he loves to shoot and has a great release and a good one-timer
- Holding on to the puck and doing cool shit all by himself

None of that makes you a good NHL C and all of the things he doesn't do at all are things you need to be a C. It feels like he played C when he was younger because that's what all the best players did. His skills and physical gifts probably made it so he was always better than the competition for the most part but he never actually learned how to be a C or even understand what is needed of that role.

Like if you were asked to build a great offensive winger in a lab, you would come up Martin Necas. If you were asked to build a Centerman in a lab, you would take Martin Necas and build the opposite of him.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This whole 'I wanna play C' thing is so wild to me. Literally nothing Necas does on the ice, except for carry the puck well with speed, shows that he's capable of playing C.

- He's an offense first/offense only type player
- Doesn't use his linemates well
- Not a gifted passer
- Bad at faceoffs
- Not really strong defensively or general on ice awareness

What he's good/great at?

- Skating... like literally top 3 in the league
- Shooting, he loves to shoot and has a great release and a good one-timer
- Holding on to the puck and doing cool shit all by himself

None of that makes you a good NHL C and all of the things he doesn't do at all are things you need to be a C. It feels like he played C when he was younger because that's what all the best players did. His skills and physical gifts probably made it so he was always better than the competition for the most part but he never actually learned how to be a C or even understand what is needed of that role.

Like if you were asked to build a great offensive winger in a lab, you would come up Martin Necas. If you were asked to build a Centerman in a lab, you would take Martin Necas and build the opposite of him.
Interpretation: He wants to get paid like a center.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad