Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Looking at comparables on Carolina, I'm guessing he would want something similar to Svechnikov's 8y, $7.75M. Especially since a long-term deal would buy out more UFA years than it did for Svechnikov at 20 and the cap is only going up.

If Carolina has to choose how to allocate cap among Guentzel, Jarvis, and Necas, Necas could be the odd man out.

But he also should be able to return something Carolina would need this offseason (2C, top 4 RD) with more team control.

If the offer is picks & prospects, Carolina would be better served taking Necas to arbitration.

Terry got 7.000 x 7 after 61pts
Hagel got 6.500 x 8 after 64pts
Tippett got 6.200 x 8 after 49pts

Those seem more in line with what Necas deserves than Sveshnikov's deal IMO

Reactions: Ana Crusis

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
I would Trade Jake Walman and Jonatan Berggren + a pick for Necas.

Debrincat - Necas - Kane would be fun

Canes get Cheap LHD signed for 2 more years who’s good and young, and a top 6 winger who is gonnna cost 1-1.5 million and has solid potential and can play right now.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Hagel and Terry I can see comparisons. Tippett seems low for Necas's offensive production (63 point pace in 2021 season; 71 points in 2022-23)

Add in a rising cap for the first time in a while, and I think mid-7 is likely on a long-term deal.

Edit: oops, quoted wrong post.

Last edited:
Reactions: WingsToPick4th

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
I would put money on Nashville. He wants to play center, they want a top 6 center. Nashville has lots of assets to form a competitive package for him, including multiple NHL ready ones.
Wings same position, Necas age fits the core perfectly and Detroit could probably offer a better package and have needed a 2C for like 10 years lol.

Isn’t he bad at faceoffs? Never knew he played C

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Wings same position, Necas age fits the core perfectly and Detroit could probably offer a better package and have needed a 2C for like 10 years lol.

Isn’t he bad at faceoffs? Never knew he played C
Yes. Absolutely terrible. They've supposedly even had Staal work with him on them and it doesn't get better.

He was drafted as a C, was moved to RW his first season in the AHL, has been vocalizing a persistent desire to move back to C ever since, says he's not comfortable on the wing.

RBA won't consider playing him in the center because of his bad face-offs and inability to play the defensive role of centers in the Canes system.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Necas will be the 10 million dollar man. I don't see the Habs taking a run at him. He will be hitting his late 20s and early 30s by the time we want to compete.

Reactions: Nevins

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Can he play c?
Canes are playing 35 year old, 30 points in a season Jordan Staal as their 2C and acquired Kotkaniemi and Kutznetsov in search for a center while having him on the roster, that’s about says it all.

Rumours of him wanting to play center, be paid like a top 6 center and not locking down a centre spot on a team with dire need of a 2C is gonna make teams wary, even tho he is a good player.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Cap is going up though, gotta account for inflation.

True but those 3 signed in 2023-24, and the cap only went up 4%. Even if we add 4% to the highest one (Terry), you get to about 7.250. That should be the absolute high-end of the spectrum IMO.

To me, he seems like a 60-65pt guy which should net 6.500 to 7.000 on a long term deal at his age.

He deserves more than Tippett but less than Svesh either way IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad