Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What’s he looking for?
Looking at comparables on Carolina, I'm guessing he would want something similar to Svechnikov's 8y, $7.75M. Especially since a long-term deal would buy out more UFA years than it did for Svechnikov at 20 and the cap is only going up.

If Carolina has to choose how to allocate cap among Guentzel, Jarvis, and Necas, Necas could be the odd man out.

But he also should be able to return something Carolina would need this offseason (2C, top 4 RD) with more team control.

If the offer is picks & prospects, Carolina would be better served taking Necas to arbitration.

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I still think a deal around Ehlers could make sense for both sides.

The Ducks said they are looking for a right handed top 6 winger, so I can definitely see them having interest. My personal offer would be EDM 1st (likely pick #24) + LaCombe. The Ducks will not be the best trading parter for CAR if the Canes are looking for an immediate big NHL impact in the return, but LaCombe is a young LHD with second pair upside. And they can always flip the 1st if they want.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
He is wrong. Tom D has done nothing cheap. Just a troll narrative

The Ducks said they are looking for a right handed top 6 winger, so I can definitely see them having interest. My personal offer would be EDM 1st (likely pick #24) + LaCombe. The Ducks will not be the best trading parter for CAR if the Canes are looking for an immediate big NHL impact in the return, but LaCombe is a young LHD with second pair upside. And they can always flip the 1st if they want.
Ehlers doesn’t make any sense for the canes in a deal involving necas. Ehlers is an older version who has injury issues and has the same meh playoff performances

Last edited by a moderator:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

1 year of Ehlers for Necas makes
zero sense for the Canes.

Ehlers makes some sense for them if they strike out with Guentzel, but I’d be shocked if they traded their biggest trade chip for a ufa to be.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
What are Canes needs?

Can start with 11th OA
An NHL top-4 RHD or an NHL 2C or a comparable different style of wing, ideally more of a sniper or net-front presence (especially if we lose Guentzel in FA)...obviously we'd add onto Necas as the centerpiece for the goal-scorer.

Not interested in picks. You'd have to wow us to do specs. Don't bother offering Jokiharju...we've seen him play.

I like the Sabres as a trade partner, but expect this is a repeat of last offseason when we couldn't get Pesce to Buffalo done at the draft because Adams wouldn't part with roster players and we weren't interested in the futures offered.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
An NHL top-4 RHD or an NHL 2C or a comparable different style of wing, ideally more of a sniper or net-front presence (especially if we lose Guentzel in FA)...obviously we'd add onto Necas as the centerpiece for the goal-scorer.

Not interested in picks. You'd have to wow us to do specs. Don't bother offering Jokiharju...we've seen him play.

I like the Sabres as a trade partner, but expect this is a repeat of last offseason when we couldn't get Pesce to Buffalo done at the draft because Adams wouldn't part with roster players and we weren't interested in the futures offered.

I thought it wasn't done because Pesce wouldn't waive?

Joker is our only RHD.

By your needs..there probably isn't a deal to be had.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I thought it wasn't done because Pesce wouldn't waive?

Joker is our only RHD.

By your needs..there probably isn't a deal to be had.
That was after the draft IIRC. We tried to rush a trade in advance of the draft because his NTC kicked in at the draft.

The unstated background issue was likely that Buffalo wasn't going to offer what we were looking for if Pesce wouldn't extend with them.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Canes don’t have to make a binary choice here. They can leverage arbitration, be it a hearing or the threat of one, to effectively force him into a 1 year deal. Minnesota went that route with Fiala and it worked out well: he provided the desired value for the Wild in the 21-22 season and brought back a nice return in his last RFA summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad