Post-Game Talk: Canes DEFEAT Isles Round 1

Who wins?

• Total voters

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
MM, Tripp and Hanna's post-game clips and posts sounded kind of sad to me. I suppose even if they all end up being retained by the new broadcaster some of the behind the scenes folks may not be.

I wonder when we will know more about the plans? Selfishly, my Spectrum renewal is forthcoming and I am sure the increase is gonna be nuts. The only reason I have it is for Bally for the Canes and the high speed Internet bundle for work. All of my shows are on streaming.

I hope KT gets to cover one of our games if we are on TNT in round 2.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
MM, Tripp and Hanna's post-game clips and posts sounded kind of sad to me. I suppose even if they all end up being retained by the new broadcaster some of the behind the scenes folks may not be.

I wonder when we will know more about the plans? Selfishly, my Spectrum renewal is forthcoming and I am sure the increase is gonna be nuts. The only reason I have it is for Bally for the Canes and the high speed Internet bundle for work. All of my shows are on streaming.

Listening to the sign off from Tripp I think most of it is realizing how much has gone on in the past year and how much these people stuck with him. That adds to the sadness of an unprecedented broadcast status for the Canes.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Finally got to watch the game this am. Great gutsy win, was really cool to see Rod so excited on the overtime goal.

I hope the fellas get rested up. No matter who wins between NYR and NJ the Hurricanes are going to have to have their legs going to keep up with either of those teams. Should be a little more exciting of a series than the NYI dump and chase slug fest, at least to me.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

I’m going to say something mean as hell and maybe a little controversial.

MM sucks at PBP. I’ve heard worse, but I’ve also heard a lot better.

Absolutely great guy, really top notch human being, I’ve met him twice at events and he really does seem like a truly wonderful person.

But he’s a pretty terrible PBP announcer IMO. He’s constantly behind the play which is super frustrating. Routinely gets players ON HIS OWN TEAM mixed up. Way to excited about routine saves and scoring attempts. Player barely nudges a guy, MM: HUGE HIT BY ______!!!! His “excitement voice” personally grates on me something awful. He was phenomenal in Shane’s role, PBP not so much. When he first took over for JF I was all about giving him a few seasons to hone his craft, develop a style and natural sounding cadence. It ain’t happened yet.

Tripp is just Tripp. I think for anyone who’s been a fan of this team for any extended amount of time that’s a total love/hate situation. But without JF there to balance him out his gaslighting style of color commentary has been elevated to a whole new level. He’s not Jack Edwards bad by any means, but they need someone who can reel him in when he gets off the rails a little. I’ve probably watched well over half the Hurricanes games on mute this season. Usually happens after the second or third time Tripp describes an on ice event totally opposite of what my own two eyes just watched happen, which usually isn’t that far into a broadcast.

I personally think they could do a lot better as regards to the broadcast team. I highly doubt anything changes, and if it does it likely won’t be for the better.

Reactions: Tryamw

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

I believe Bally's situation will not impact the broadcast team. Either Ballys will retain the rights or Dundon/the League will pick up the games. In both situations, I believe MM/TT would be retained.

btw: I listen to a lot of games around the League. MM/TT/Hanna are damn good versus what I hear from others (our production could be better though, ie replays, etc.). Forslund was great but he is gone and comparing MM to John is not worth the exercise....a Forslund level equivalent is virtually impossible to replicate at our market-size level.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I’m going to say something mean as hell and maybe a little controversial.

MM sucks at PBP. I’ve heard worse, but I’ve also heard a lot better.

Absolutely great guy, really top notch human being, I’ve met him twice at events and he really does seem like a truly wonderful person.

But he’s a pretty terrible PBP announcer IMO. He’s constantly behind the play which is super frustrating. Routinely gets players ON HIS OWN TEAM mixed up. Way to excited about routine saves and scoring attempts. Player barely nudges a guy, MM: HUGE HIT BY ______!!!! His “excitement voice” personally grates on me something awful. He was phenomenal in Shane’s role, PBP not so much. When he first took over for JF I was all about giving him a few seasons to hone his craft, develop a style and natural sounding cadence. It ain’t happened yet.

Tripp is just Tripp. I think for anyone who’s been a fan of this team for any extended amount of time that’s a total love/hate situation. But without JF there to balance him out his gaslighting style of color commentary has been elevated to a whole new level. He’s not Jack Edwards bad by any means, but they need someone who can reel him in when he gets off the rails a little. I’ve probably watched well over half the Hurricanes games on mute this season. Usually happens after the second or third time Tripp describes an on ice event totally opposite of what my own two eyes just watched happen, which usually isn’t that far into a broadcast.

I personally think they could do a lot better as regards to the broadcast team. I highly doubt anything changes, and if it does it likely won’t be for the better.
My only gripes with the Big Rig are the way he refers to the Flyers as Philly, the player mix ups, and the way he pronounces overtime. Aside from that he’s not that bad. He’s become a huge Caniac like Tripp in my book.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
My only gripes with the Big Rig are the way he refers to the Flyers as Philly, the player mix ups, and the way he pronounces overtime. Aside from that he’s not that bad. He’s become a huge Caniac like Tripp in my book.
After listening to these ESPN folks MM is closer to Forslund than them, they're f***ing brutal. Easy to see their bias even when they're supposed to be impartial, dumb commentary on things they know nothing about just to sound smart ("team X has been watching goalie tape and knows they need to shoot at Y"), wrong names and numbers constantly, hell they reference the wrong teams, scores, times, etc. The other night they said 10 sec left in the period but they meant PP.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Finally got to watch the game this am. Great gutsy win, was really cool to see Rod so excited on the overtime goal.

I hope the fellas get rested up. No matter who wins between NYR and NJ the Hurricanes are going to have to have their legs going to keep up with either of those teams. Should be a little more exciting of a series than the NYI dump and chase slug fest, at least to me.

With Patches, Svech and TT out, I think the only chance the Canes have to win a series against either team is to turn it into a dump and chase slug fest. If it becomes a more exciting series, it will likely not favor Carolina.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
With Patches, Svech and TT out, I think the only chance the Canes have to win a series against either team is to turn it into a dump and chase slug fest. If it becomes a more exciting series, it will likely not favor Carolina.

It becomes a weird moral scenario, but it certainly would help if a couple Rangers/Devils go down in the next game or two.

Not something I’d really actively root for, but it’d even the playing field. Maybe passive root for it. Lol.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It becomes a weird moral scenario, but it certainly would help if a couple Rangers/Devils go down in the next game or two.

Not something I’d really actively root for, but it’d even the playing field. Maybe passive root for it. Lol.
I’m rooting for the Rangers to light up Schmid tonight, then both teams score a lot of goals in game seven, then the Devils win it in the 4th OT.

MisterDobz

Unauthorized User
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
Had them all the way. Before the series I said that we play a better system, but they have a better net minder. it turns out the difference in nets wasn’t that great, Soros-kin made some amazing saves, but he let in a couple of softies too. Auntie and Freddie were mostly lights out. Result is the 6 game win.

From here on out, it changes. Last night after the puddy-tats beat the Broons, they interviewed Tkachuk, he said, ‘From this point on, it just matters who wants it more’. The question will become, Who wants it more? Who is willing to put it on the line every play of every period, Slavin-esk. As balls-to-the-walls is the definition of the Canes system, I like our chances.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Had them all the way. Before the series I said that we play a better system, but they have a better net minder. it turns out the difference in nets wasn’t that great, Soros-kin made some amazing saves, but he let in a couple of softies too. Auntie and Freddie were mostly lights out. Result is the 6 game win.

From here on out, it changes. Last night after the puddy-tats beat the Broons, they interviewed Tkachuk, he said, ‘From this point on, it just matters who wants it more’. The question will become, Who wants it more? Who is willing to put it on the line every play of every period, Slavin-esk. As balls-to-the-walls is the definition of the Canes system, I like our chances.
Important to get rest to keep the system going...winning Friday was beneficial (although the previous game would have been better).

Rooting for a Monday night Game 7 so our series doesn't start until at earliest Wednesday. It will interesting how the schedule plays out if the Rangers win with Knicks home games + concerts scheduled at the PNC on 5/10 and 5/12.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad