Rumor: Canadiens not getting fair offers for Max Pacioretty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Why is getting him for only one playoff run getting "maximal utility" out of him when a team could have had him for two playoff runs, and a full season besides? Why would a team who needed him for the last playoffs sit pat on a lowball offer if they were fully prepared to offer more?
Because they thought they had enough scoring power and having a guy like Max is an insurance policy, not necessarily a requirement.

What you're saying might apply to a team that's only becoming interested in him now, but it doesn't explain what's transpired over the last 8 months.
Applies to any contender. You're not really a top contender if Max is the make it or break it piece for you. For example, Pittsburgh may like to have him but don't necessarily need him, so their willingness to pay full asking price is diminished by the fact that they have plenty of scoring depth.

The market very well could change for Pacioretty moving forward and a better offer might surface. All it takes is one GM changing his mind as his own team's circumstances change. That reality is very different than saying that teams are already fully prepared to offer more at this time, and presumably have been in the past as well, but simply aren't. There's no good reason to believe the latter is true.
I'm not saying they're willing to offer more now than in the past. His value is pretty much set more or lesss, what I'm saying is they're trying to get away with not paying it and Bergevin is still hoping someone will eventually do so.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well skinner and o'rielly didnt get great returns
O'Reilly was the really shocking one to me. Skinner scores a lot but O'Reilly is the kind of player you build around. Maybe Buffalo had to trade him, like he wanted out, but to me it is a shame and the Buffalo rebuild was dealt a serious blow.

For Pacioretty, what is "fair"? The league is going towards youth more than ever. He is a winger approaching 30 years old. I don't think we're going to see trades like the Marty St.Louis one anymore.

Feb 24, 2017
Bergevin on his cell-
0EFD6039-EAF2-4E31-B34A-6C4C7FF54AD7.gif

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
O'Reilly was the really shocking one to me. Skinner scores a lot but O'Reilly is the kind of player you build around. Maybe Buffalo had to trade him, like he wanted out, but to me it is a shame and the Buffalo rebuild was dealt a serious blow.
it sounded like ror wanted wanted out . He had quotes like he didn't enjoy playing hockey anymore at the end of the season.

He probably would have kept playing like a horse until he had a mental breakdown or something but it's probably better for all parties if he was moved if he was that disheartened in buffalo.

Last edited:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I believe the deal was pacioretty with a contract extension to New York islanders in exchange for one of their first round picks, then that pick gets dealt to buffalo for Ryan o Reilly.
Any deal of Patches that was rumored was after the first round already happened They went to him Friday night to talk extension. So the islander or kings weren't trading a 2018 1st round pick as the draft already happened. It would have had to be the player they just drafted and i highly doubt either team would do that.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Any deal of Patches that was rumored was after the first round already happened They went to him Friday night to talk extension. So the islander or kings weren't trading a 2018 1st round pick as the draft already happened. It would have had to be the player they just drafted and i highly doubt either team would do that.
Not necessarily. The report was that the trade offer was on the table for a 2018 1st and the contract extension was time sensitive which is what irritated Pacioretty and made him get new representation. So it was happening during the day leading into the draft.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Not necessarily. The report was that the trade offer was on the table for a 2018 1st and the contract extension was time sensitive which is what irritated Pacioretty and made him get new representation. So it was happening during the day leading into the draft.
No the rumor i read said there trade was time sensitive as the pick was to come in the draft meaning if they went to him Friday night after the the 1st round the pick had to be at best a 2nd and the extension would have had to be agreed to before the draft started again which means it was a pick that was to be made on Saturday Which means it was a 2nd round pick at best. Even in the tsn report stated they went to patches Friday night :)

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
This is never going to happen ever, is it.

it will happen next summer when max walks for nothing,

MB is that stubborn and stupid,

he would rather have max walk then be embarrassed for trading him for next to nothing, this way he can put the blame on max and not himself,

Reactions: Fixxer

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
it will happen next summer when max walks for nothing,

MB is that stubborn and stupid,

he would rather have max walk then be embarrassed for trading him for next to nothing, this way he can put the blame on max and not himself,

On point with the drivel as usual

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Does Pacioretty to TBL make any sense? They were rumoured to get Karlsson and that never happened, so maybe they can get Patches instead for cheaper. (They also need wingers more than defenseman IMO) How about 2019 1st/2nd (whichever they don't give to NYR), 2020 3rd, Ryan Callahan and Mitchell Stephens?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Does Pacioretty to TBL make any sense? They were rumoured to get Karlsson and that never happened, so maybe they can get Patches instead for cheaper. (They also need wingers more than defenseman IMO) How about 2019 1st/2nd (whichever they don't give to NYR), 2020 3rd, Ryan Callahan and Mitchell Stephens?

Pretty sure he would refuse to go to MTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad