Confirmed with Link: Canadiens acquire Filip Cederqvist from the Sabres (Also AHL trade Noah Laoouan for Chris Jandric)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Cederqvist had a great year in the SHL in 2021-2022 with 32 points in 49 games.

However, he hasn't meshed well in the Sabres AHL team with a combined 24 points in 74 games the last 2 years.

At worst. he's ok depth in the AHL while we have injuries. At best, he develops as some kind of bottom 9 player for the NHL.

Contracts ends after this year, so it's a no risk low reward kind of deal.

From my internet scouting search, big guy, net presence, protects puck well, need to work on skating.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
I guess the league's trade form contains a mandatory field for the return, can't submit if empty
GMs may have thought "Future considerations" would be less offensive than "N/A" or "for free"

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Cederqvist had a great year in the SHL in 2021-2022 with 32 points in 49 games.

However, he hasn't meshed well in the Sabres AHL team with a combined 24 points in 74 games the last 2 years.

At worst. he's ok depth in the AHL while we have injuries. At best, he develops as some kind of bottom 9 player for the NHL.

Contracts ends after this year, so it's a no risk low reward kind of deal.

From my internet scouting search, big guy, net presence, protects puck well, need to work on skating.
Bottom 9 player is a new one. I’m going to start calling the offence our Bottom 12.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Pretty much nothing, but seems intriguing in that he has size and obviously had skill given his production in the AHL.

Habs should give Justin Brazeau a NHL contract and assign him to the AHL if possible.

Reactions: Nevins

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Bottom 9 player is a new one. I’m going to start calling the offence our Bottom 12.

It was either that or say "bottom 6 or even middle 6 player". If Nicholas somehow works magic on his skating, Cederqvist has the body to be a complimentary 2nd liner. Highly doubtful it happens though.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I guess the league's trade form contains a mandatory field for the return, can't submit if empty
GMs may have thought "Future considerations" would be less offensive than "N/A" or "for free"
You can't trade a player for nothing and "future considerations" can be cashed in technically even if they aren't worth much.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
A low scoring 23year old 6’1 Swedish forward who can play either wing. Hasn’t played in the NHL yet and stats are nothing to be desired. Last year of entry level contract.

For Laval? Maybe Roy called up?
He's 6'3. Laval have quite a few injuries.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

In this case, the actual trade is Laouaan for Jandric and Cederqvist, but since Laouaan and Jandric are AHL deals, the NHL deal itself is "future considerations".

There's usually some kind of handshake dealing with "future considerations" trades that are not tangible NHL assets.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
It's a try on a big player with *some* potential that may be unhappy with his AHL team and was needed to fill in a spot with the Rocket while they have lost 2 solid players. Eh, if it works, he's back next year with the Rocket, if not, ah well...

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
After visiting the Buffalo Sabers forum, here is what I remember about this forward . Sabers fans seem disappointed with his departure due to his physical play. He also plays well defensively and he is still protected from waivers for 2 more years. At 20 years old in the SHL, he had 32 pts in 49 games which shows a certain offensive capacity that he could less express in the AHL with all the forwards chosen in the first round.
IMG_4844.png

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
After visiting the Buffalo Sabers forum, here is what I remember about this forward . Sabers fans seem disappointed with his departure due to his physical play. He also plays well defensively and he is still protected from waivers for 2 more years. At 20 years old in the SHL, he had 32 pts in 49 games which shows a certain offensive capacity that he could less express in the AHL with all the forwards chosen in the first round.

he has to be viewed as a “forward for Laval”, not Gurianov 2.0

He would be the heaviest forward on Laval’s team and like you said post-draft he got good comments about his board play and defensive efforts + good shot. Average IQ & puck skills, powerful stride but not a quick skater.

Laval could really use that kind of player (paired with Kidney for example).

Reactions: Runner77 and Nevins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad