GDT: Canadians @ Capitals 4pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
On one hand Capitals really scored from everywhere which is good, on the other hand that performance by Montreal defence was tragic, one of the worst I have ever seen in hockey. Happy for OV and also happy new year guys!

It’s great for everyone’s confidence. I remember earlier this season when we couldn’t buy a goal, it sure feels nice to see them going in at a high clip.

Happy new year to you too, and everyone here :)

Reactions: Peeri

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

giphy.gif

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Shit, sounds like we should take up a collection and send you to more games. We'll include the required disposable hat.
I didn't get my hat back tonight... Probably stop and grab a new one tomorrow before we head back north lol... It was a nats hat anyways... Not gonna be needing that for awhile!

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
With his 26th goal, OV on pace for his 10th 50 goal season, which would be an NHL record. Not sure why the fans/media are ignoring this upcoming milestone.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
With his 26th goal, OV on pace for his 10th 50 goal season, which would be an NHL record. Not sure why the fans/media are ignoring this upcoming milestone.
At this point it's probably a little like that joke about Chuck Norris and the book of World Records, if they talked about it with the actual intensity of the accomplishment they'd spend so much time talking about it they never get on to anything else.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
It’s far away still, and the road to 50 is a long one. Let’s just sit back and enjoy the ride, that’s what I’ve been doing for years
Yep, 50 is a tough hurdle. I remember the 2017-18 season when Ovie had two goals in the final regular season game against the Devils and desperately flailed away in the last minute trying to get #50. He took 8 SOG that game. And we all remember how that season ended.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I still think 50 goals will be tough for him to hit again this season. If he does though, that takes him to 830 career goals.

He would then need 65 goals to hit 895 over the last 3 years of his contract. (22 goals a season)

Last edited:

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
Am I wrong or were we on a huge roll last year and then Backstrom came back and we sputtered out?

Backstrom can take his sweet time coming back.
You are correct. They were playing great early in the season when they had several of their regular guys out of the lineup and once they starting coming back Capitals suddenly forgot how to play hockey.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You are correct. They were playing great early in the season when they had several of their regular guys out of the lineup and once they starting coming back Capitals suddenly forgot how to play hockey.

No, this is the myth of HFCaps that people have in their minds because of how much complaining about NB and "youth" there was.

Here are his first 10 games last year:

1672583407210.png

5-4-1
8pts in 10 games

To start the season the team itself was 5-1-4 in their first 10.

1672583976679.png

They were hot for a 10 game period in November and settled in at about .500 in December.

Covid hit them hard at the end December. After that they were not the same.

They were already on a 3 game losing streak when NB came back in January (G5 above).

Then they got back to about .500 with NB in the lineup, maybe a little better but overall hovered there as the season went on.

Goaltending (especially 3rd period) and PP had more of an effect than anything else.

Last edited:

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
No, this is the myth of HFCaps that people have in their minds because of how much complaining about NB and "youth" there was.

Here are his first 10 games last year:

View attachment 628941

5-4-1
8pts in 10 games

To start the season the team itself was 5-1-4 in their first 10.

View attachment 628942

They were hot for a 10 game period in November and settled in at about .500 in December.

Covid hit them hard at the end December. After that they were not the same.

They were already on a 3 game losing streak when NB came back in January (G5 above).

Then they got back to about .500 with NB in the lineup, maybe a little better but overall hovered there as the season went on.

Goaltending (especially 3rd period) and PP had more of an effect than anything else.
I never mentioned NB in my reply for the sole reason that he wasn't the only one coming back from injury. I'm just saying that that they were playing much better hockey with the non-regular guys early in the season. Also you could easily say that PP started to struggle because they were trying to force the regulars back into it.

Reactions: Hivemind

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
It’s hard to change the lineup when winning. We just played two new guys last night in Snively (22 or 23 games on popcorn) and Fever (12 games to injury). It would seem Wilson and Oshie are about ready as well but I think they are taking their time for good reason. We were lucky we could send Beck down to Hershey for free since he was still in his 10 game / 30 days on active roster on an emergency call up. I thought both were noticeable last night which is great.

In short, you win and lose as a team. So I’m not sure i want to bring any of those guys back except for fact that if we are healthy it opens up the opportunity to trade alway someone. I still think Mantha is the one we can move that helps the most (salary caps and easily replaceable).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I never mentioned NB in my reply for the sole reason that he wasn't the only one coming back from injury. I'm just saying that that they were playing much better hockey with the non-regular guys early in the season. Also you could easily say that PP started to struggle because they were trying to force the regulars back into it.

Ok but overall that was the narrative...NB returning sank the ship and killed the momentum and that was false. It didn't play out that way for any of the returning vets, it was confirmation bias from a small but vocal group.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Ok but overall that was the narrative...NB returning sank the ship and killed the momentum and that was false. It didn't play out that way for any of the returning vets, it was confirmation bias from a small but vocal group.

I don't recall that narrative being focused on Backstrom. We had to play a bunch of youngsters early on for lotsa reasons and literally had the best record in the league there for a little while. Then the kids sat down for vets and our play dropped pretty quickly. I personally don't think the cause was that linear, but even if it was, there were multiple spots in flux, not just Nick.

When major players come back there's a domino effect because they plug into the top of the lineup. We had multiple guys come back, so the lines changed dramatically.

I think we played over our heads early, faded, and had dodgy goaltending throughout. The kids added some spark that we could maybe have done more with given that a couple vets (Hags, Eller) had shit years, but overall it was just a typical up and down year. Much ado about mostly nothing.

Reactions: YippieKaey

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
NB coming back actually fixed a historically bad PP. And he was ~ a ppg player for the season, despite his skating.

This season, a potential third line of Mojo-NB-Oshie/Mantha isn’t too shabby.

I guess Eller plays 4LW, and Milano and Protas sit. That kinda sucks.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think it's fair to be concerned about Backstrom's return in particular. I think everyone can acknowledge that he was a shell of himself last year, yet he's the type of player who will never be scratched unless he literally can't play due to injury. If he's in the position he was last year where he's able to play, but not play effectively, that could really hurt. And given no one has returned for the injury/surgery is dealing with for more than a few dozen (ineffective) games the possibility has to be weighed heavily.

Protas sitting wouldn't be the end of the world, though not ideal given his defensive aptitude. But Milano sitting would definitely hurt unless they have a very good version of Backstrom taking his spot in the lineup.

It's possible more injuries make this a moot discussion, but it's at least something to be concerned about w/r/t Backstrom's return.

On the other hand I suspect Wilson will return with no ill-effects except for probably a short period of rust. My understanding is that ACL injuries typically aren't as devastating for hockey players compared to football players and basketball players where planting and cutting is much more important.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I think it's fair to be concerned about Backstrom's return in particular. I think everyone can acknowledge that he was a shell of himself last year, yet he's the type of player who will never be scratched unless he literally can't play due to injury. If he's in the position he was last year where he's able to play, but not play effectively, that could really hurt. And given no one has returned for the injury/surgery is dealing with for more than a few dozen (ineffective) games the possibility has to be weighed heavily.

Protas sitting wouldn't be the end of the world, though not ideal given his defensive aptitude. But Milano sitting would definitely hurt unless they have a very good version of Backstrom taking his spot in the lineup.

It's possible more injuries make this a moot discussion, but it's at least something to be concerned about w/r/t Backstrom's return.

On the other hand I suspect Wilson will return with no ill-effects except for probably a short period of rust. My understanding is that ACL injuries typically aren't as devastating for hockey players compared to football players and basketball players where planting and cutting is much more important.
Since they have a viable alternative in Strome this season, you would hope they won’t force him in until he’s actually ready. That’s probably giving the org too much credit, given who he is to the franchise.

I hope these reports of him skating well, and pain-free are somewhat true. And that they will shelter him on the third line. Maybe he eventually allows them to bench/trade Eller. I agree it would be nice to keep Milano in the lineup somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad