Canadian World Cup roster announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkFloydLives

May 14, 2004
icarus said:
What leads you to believe Iginla is not a team player?

Why twist my words around for?

Obviously since he is the captain of your favourite outfit, he is a team player.

My opinion is that I would rather see LeCavalier instead of him there. So why won't you guys leave it at that?

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
Just some comments. Has anyone even watch Brewer of late? He is a top notch defensemen.

Ever since he has joined the Olympic and World Championship teams, they have won every time. In the recent World Championships, he was arguably team canada's best defensemen until Niedermeyer arrived. If Brewer played in Toronto, and McCabe played in Edmonton. Toronto would probably still be playing right now.

In regards to Regehr, he is a stud. He deserved to be on the team without a doubt, and I'm glad he's there. Look at what he is doing in Calgary. He brings a Scott Stevens toughness to that blueline.

In regards to Gagne, I think that was a result of chemistry. Gagne, Sakic, Iginla lit it up last time they were together. Why not keep them together.

Lastly, Belfour is better than Theodore right now. Theodore is younger and could become Canada's best goalie but as of right now he's not.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Gagne had injury problems ONE YEAR. He had a few bumps in the first month or two, and has been fine the rest of the year. He plays more physical than he ever has. He also had 24 goals on a checking line with Primeau, and you won't rack up many assists when your center and winger combine for 19 goals. Gagne, scoring wise, was streaky, but still very good, but brought his speed and two way game every day. He is a questionable pick, but people are acting like he sucks now and is always injured, which is simply not true.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A_wildstabatanything said:
The forward selections are a joke. When the first speaker talked about kids dreaming of being Simon Gagne I nearly puked. What has the guy done this year or last year for that matter?!?!?

The Richards selection doesn't make any sense. Lecavalier is the better player. I'd take Spezza and Nash over him too. (Even though it's my opinon that Rick is currently the most overrated player in the league.)
Richards has proven to be a lot more consistent then Lecavalier and also has more points this playoffs, I think hes very deserving of a spot, go look at his stats, with the exception of last year he usualy has more points then Lecavailier.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I think this lineup is great but lots of choices were still the wrong ones. There are way too many guys that should have made it but didn't.

This is pure Gretz. Clueless as usual.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Karyia was bloody injured all year and he dsn't make the team, it's a bunch of BS. If thats the criteria then wtf was smyth doing on the olympic team when he was injured entering the olympics. Ohh yea I forgot good old Lowe was one of the men in charge it's a bloody shame.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
I think this lineup is great but lots of choices were still the wrong ones. There are way too many guys that should have made it but didn't.

I'm glad he's clueless, then. 'Cause I'm pretty happy with that gold medal from Salt Lake City.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Seachd said:
I'm glad he's clueless, then. 'Cause I'm pretty happy with that gold medal from Salt Lake City.

He's still clueless. The fact that he has nothing but good players to choose with, along with the fact a second Canadian team would be just as likely to win a gold medal does not change the fact he was never blessed with a great IQ.

He's been a fantastic player but has proven time and again that he is a dimwit as well as a guy who enjoys nothing more than politics and favoritism.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
I really like the roster. Personally, I wish there was just one more goal scorer (say, take out Morrow and put in Nash, or something), but it is still great. Hopefully Iginla-St Louis-Heatley can put good points up, and that Thornton has fully recovered from his injury. BTW, is Lemieux in game shape? He missed a lot of time this season, and I hope he doesnt spend the entire tourney watching cus of his injuries.

The only questionable calls up front are Matlby-Draper-Morrow, but it is obvious what their contributions will be. They are pests and probably the best at getting under the skin of star players, and they are going to be playing against A LOT of star players.

Lines anyone? In no particular order:

Morrow-Richards-St Louis
Maltby-Draper-Doan
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Lemieux-Thornton-Heatley
Smyth-Marleau-Yzerman

Pronger-Jovo
Blake-Foote
Niedermayer-Redden
Brewer-Regehr

I personally couldn't choose who to sit out, that's a real tough decision. I guess if I had to choose only 12 forwards and 6 dmen:

Marleau-Richards-St Louis
Maltby-Draper-Doan
Yzerman-Thornton-Heatley
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla

Foote-Blake
Pronger-Jovo
Niedermayer-Redden

Macman

May 15, 2004
elphy101 said:
Has anyone even watch Brewer of late? He is a top notch defensemen.

I agree. I can't figure out his critics. I'll admit I don't get to see him much with the Oilers, but internationally he has excelled. He was a lock as far as I'm concerned.

EaGLE1

Feb 17, 2004
Quebec City
I'm like everybody....

Maltby, Draper, Yzerman, Brewer, Morrow i don't agree! Even Doan on Intr. ice...

I would have like...Nash, Primeau, McCabe, Tanguay...even Paul Kariya.

Luckyly, we have the best D/Goalie combo by far. I hope we win gold. Damn, Maltby, wtf???

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm also a bit puzzled by all the criticism Brewer is getting. I watched the WHC this year and he was easily one of the top defensemen, pushing Niedermayer in that category. He was awesome, and same with the year before. He's always there when Canada needs him, rather like Ryan Smyth. Brewer was a natural choice, I'd think.

As for Gagne, he's a smart player who's got chemistry with guys like Sakic and Iginla. His speed and shiftiness will definitely be an asset, and you've got to think Gretz and company would take a few safe bets that they worked with from Salt Lake.

And for anyone knocking Ryan Smyth in comparison to Paul Kariya for this year, all I can say is boo. Smyth is Mr. Canada for heaven's sake. Whenever they come calling, he answers. He was the Captain for Canada at the WHC this year, and Kariya--even with the injuries--didn't have that great a season.

~Canucklehead~

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
He's been a fantastic player but has proven time and again that he is a dimwit as well as a guy who enjoys nothing more than politics and favoritism.

But he hasn't done that here.

How come the instant a Canadian team is named, a) everyone who decided on the team is stupid, and b) the team stands no chance? I've never figured this out, but it happens all the time.

Would the team play any better with Lecavalier or Primeau or McCabe or whoever? Maybe, but we don't know for sure. Ask Colorado, Detroit, St. Louis or the Rangers if the biggest names win.

I'm not entirely thrilled with guys like Maltby and Gagne being named, but instead of complaining, I'm going to look forward to what they can do in September, and how they can contribute to their team.

If they win the gold, we'll all forget about the roster controversies. If it's anything less, we'll still forget, because we'll know that the team that was picked was perfectly capable of bringing back gold, and we'll just complain that they didn't play their best.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
I am getting such a kick out of all the Brewer-bashing going on. And I'm not sure how many else of you caught this, but the way Gretz was talking sounds like Regehr & Redden will be the bottom 2 D, which makes Brewer top 6.

(Ps. Just out of curiosity, if Robyn Regehr continutes his eye-opening development, which I dont think he will, would he be elligilbe to play for the Canadian Olympic team? Seeing as he was born in Brazil)

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
PinkFloydLives said:
Why twist my words around for?

Twist your words around?

Huh.

I guess then you'll have to clarify what you meant by the following statement, since the first time around the implication was that Iginla is a selfish player, not a team player.
PinkFloydLives said:
Last time I checked, it was about a team winning, not individuals.

Oh and if you're going to accuse someone of twisting your words around, be careful not to do the same yourself in the next sentence. That would be embarassing. ;)

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
windowlicker said:
I am getting such a kick out of all the Brewer-bashing going on. And I'm not sure how many else of you caught this, but the way Gretz was talking sounds like Regehr & Redden will be the bottom 2 D, which makes Brewer top 6.

(Ps. Just out of curiosity, if Robyn Regehr continutes his eye-opening development, which I dont think he will, would he be elligilbe to play for the Canadian Olympic team? Seeing as he was born in Brazil)

I think Brewer might make some people eat their words. We'll just have to wait and see.

Regehr's a Canadian citizen, I'd imagine, or he probably wouldn't be able to play for Canada at all.

Vic Rattlehead*

windowlicker said:

He is a Canadian Citizen. Heatly was born in Germany and has already played in three World Championships and is about to play in the World cup for Canada.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Seachd said:
I think Brewer might make some people eat their words. We'll just have to wait and see.

Same thing with Maltby. I guarantee he'll score at least one shortie before the tournament's done and everyone will be saying what a great choice he was, like they did after the 2002 worlds.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Vlad The Impaler said:

I look at this lineup and can't really see any holes in it. I'm really interested in knowing the choices you see as the wrong ones.

And do you really think Gretz made these decisions on his own?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Seachd said:
But he hasn't done that here.

How come the instant a Canadian team is named, a) everyone who decided on the team is stupid, and b) the team stands no chance? I've never figured this out, but it happens all the time.

Would the team play any better with Lecavalier or Primeau or McCabe or whoever? Maybe, but we don't know for sure. Ask Colorado, Detroit, St. Louis or the Rangers if the biggest names win.

I'm not entirely thrilled with guys like Maltby and Gagne being named, but instead of complaining, I'm going to look forward to what they can do in September, and how they can contribute to their team.

If they win the gold, we'll all forget about the roster controversies. If it's anything less, we'll still forget, because we'll know that the team that was picked was perfectly capable of bringing back gold, and we'll just complain that they didn't play their best.

I find your arguments more reasonable here, at least. Unlike the first post I responded to.

I will add that I never said this team has no chance (I presume you may have been speaking in general, rather than about me) nor do I think so. It's Canada. You could put names on a board, throw dart and still come up with a great team that can challenge for any championship. Our depth is unequalled and it is quality depth.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
For the people asking about Regehr being able to play for Team Canada at the Olympics and such, he's a Canadian citizen ergo he will be able to play for Canada. Look at Brett Hull and Team USA.

On another note, I really like that Maltby/Draper/Doan were named to the team. They did one helluva job at both ends of the ice for the 2003 WHC, and were a great shutdown trio. Hopefully they're all used in that same capacity.

~Canucklehead~

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
onice said:
I look at this lineup and can't really see any holes in it. I'm really interested in knowing the choices you see as the wrong ones.

And do you really think Gretz made these decisions on his own?

No, but he has his poisonous hands in this crap as always. Ever since he's been traded out of Edmonton., he has been throwing his weight around and forcing people into making all sorts of bad decisions. He is awful as a decision-maker.

I don't understand a lot of decisions. What is Steve Yzerman doing here? I love Stevie Y and all, but they need to ease young guys in, and this guy does not have the mobility anymore. Simon Gagne... there is a player on his own team (Philly) not making it that is twice the player Simon has ever been.

Brewer, Redden, Regehr... I guess I can live with this but there were omissions, like Brad Stuart and Bouwmeester. J-Bo is just a notch below Redden if anything, and needs to be in this kind of competition. McCabe would also be a good choice for Canada. I'd take him above those three anytime.

Rick Nash should be there, and tutored by Ryan Smyth. It would be great for him and for Canada.

I would think Lecavalier could have made it above Yzerman. They will need him one day.

There are others but they would mainly be preferences. The decision to ignore Bertuzzi is a chickenshit one but at least I can see some logic in it. Derek Morris, Kariya, Tanguay, Peca... all of these would have been questionable but I still like them and many others.

Ignoring Nash, Lecavalier, Bouwmeester and McCabe was dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad