Canadian Soccer Part VI; O CANADA O BABY

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
If the score holds Canada will need one point to qualify. Goal differential would be too much for Panama.

Panama will need to win all 3 games in the last window and two of those games are against Canada and USA. It's going to be extremely difficult for them.

It's going to take a specific outcome in order for us not to get into the World Cup now, it seems like.

- Canada loses all three games
- Panama wins all three of their games (one against USA).
- USA wins remaining two games after losing to Panama (including one against Mexico)
- Mexico wins two of their remaining games if they lose to USA.

Canada is pretty close to a lock here.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Panama will need to win all 3 games in the last window and two of those games are against Canada and USA. It's going to be extremely difficult for them.

It's going to take a specific outcome in order for us not to get into the World Cup now, it seems like.

- Canada loses all three games
- Panama wins all three of their games (one against USA).
- USA wins remaining two games after losing to Panama (including one against Mexico)
- Mexico wins two of their remaining games if they lose to USA.

Canada is pretty close to a lock here.

Agreed. Canada taking at least one point against Jamaica too is extremely likely.

Aug 3, 2010
Game highlights against El Salvador. I still can't get over the wild random chance of Atiba's goal.

Reactions: luiginb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Canada just needs a tie in their remaining 3 games to clinch
A tie would just lock up 4th which means a qualifier final vs the winner of Oceana in Qatar in June. We need 2 points to guarantee a finish above Panama or Costa Rica. Unless there is something I'm missing.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
A tie would just lock up 4th which means a qualifier final vs the winner of Oceana in Qatar in June. We need 2 points to guarantee a finish above Panama or Costa Rica. Unless there is something I'm missing.
Goal Differential

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
A tie against Panama would clinch too. But I think they’d rather go into that game not needing a result.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I mean, that's not locked in. It's likely to hold, but weird things can happen. So, we still theoretically need 2 points.

Panama would have to make up 13 goals. That's extremely unlikely. It's not like Canada has a tough schedule either.

EDIT: I could see Panama picking up a lot of goals in the Honduras game.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
If I'm not mistaken we need 2 points to qualify, but as of now we can't finish worse than 4th due to the US playing Costa Rica and Panama.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Panama would have to make up 13 goals. That's extremely unlikely. It's not like Canada has a tough schedule either.
Gotta remember every goal counts double in the final game since Panama scoring adds one for them and takes one away from us. It's unlikely, but to mathematically clinch we need 2 points or Panama to lose 2 points before the March 30th game.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
At least one of Costa Rica or Panama would have to go perfect for Canada to finish 4th. Costa Rica can not catch Canada if Canada gets any points so any Canada points plus any Panama draws or losses is a clinch.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So glad I managed to find highlights this morning that didn't give away the score, made the experience all the more intense. What another rollercoaster of emotions

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't speak Geordie, but did he say he dodged a piss bag?

He didn't specify what it was he dodged :laugh:

The question itself though reminds me of back after the '98 world cup, I purchased the EA game World Cup '98 for PC, and Chumbawumba's Tubthumping was the menu song for it, so I heard a lot of it, and I always wondered what they were singing when I was sure I heard "pissing the night away", which I found baffling to say the least. It would only be years later becoming more familiar with British English that I realised that was exactly what they were singing, it just meant drinking, though I did then wonder how appropriate the song really was for a game at least partially marketed to kids.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
He didn't specify what it was he dodged :laugh:

The question itself though reminds me of back after the '98 world cup, I purchased the EA game World Cup '98 for PC, and Chumbawumba's Tubthumping was the menu song for it, so I heard a lot of it, and I always wondered what they were singing when I was sure I heard "pissing the night away", which I found baffling to say the least. It would only be years later becoming more familiar with British English that I realised that was exactly what they were singing, it just meant drinking, though I did then wonder how appropriate the song really was for a game at least partially marketed to kids.
Pissing the night away in West London is much different than pissing the night away in El Salvador :laugh:.

In fairness to the Canadian players of old, it must be said that concacaf reffing has improved drastically. Whether it's VAR and more eyes on them, or whether it's just that Canada gets more respect now? I don't know. But 10 or 15 years ago El Salvador would've been given at least one penalty in that match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad