Canadian Soccer Part IIII: WCQ Edition

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It sounds like Herdman has a lot of influence in this respect. Which also means he has the ear of the players. I'm not sure what the viable options are, but whatever the players agree upon, is fine by me.

Herdman is right though. This is a qualifying run, not a national tour.

It sucks that they aren't coming to Vancouver for this window but whatever wear and tear they can save in a condensed three game window is fine by me, and I say that as a resident of metro Vancouver.

They have stayed east for all of these windows which require international travel so far.

For what it's worth, the US has also avoided the Pacific time zone so far, including some significant markets such as LA, and Seattle.

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I find it surprising that the players would actually prefer to play outdoors in January

Same. I thought BC Place was a lock... then I was thinking, that is a lot of travel and the Big O with natural grass installed made a lot of sense too. Easily get 40k in there for a game like this.

But at the end of the day, whatever the team feels best with is what they should go with. And if keeping the grass alive at BMO is the issue, MLSE should pony up... spend some of their money ffs.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Same. I thought BC Place was a lock... then I was thinking, that is a lot of travel and the Big O with natural grass installed made a lot of sense too. Easily get 40k in there for a game like this.

But at the end of the day, whatever the team feels best with is what they should go with. And if keeping the grass alive at BMO is the issue, MLSE should pony up... spend some of their money ffs.

If that's what the players want, the CSA should probably consider it an investment in player goodwill.

The CSA has to pull out all the stops that are within their control to make the program more attractive to dual nationals, because its already too difficult to compete for talents with many of the European nations, and other nations around the world as it is.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If that's what the players want, the CSA should probably consider it an investment in player goodwill.

The CSA has to pull out all the stops that are within their control to make the program more attractive to dual nationals, because its already too difficult to compete for talents with many of the European nations, and other nations around the world as it is.

The problem is that the CSA literally has no money. They'll need either additional government funding or private funding to make it work.

Hopefully Herdman planted that in Trudeau's ear when he was at training on Monday.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
The problem is that the CSA literally has no money. They'll need either additional government funding or private funding to make it work.

Hopefully Herdman planted that in Trudeau's ear when he was at training on Monday.

Agree, gov't funding I am sure is lacking in Canada as opposed to other 'soccer nations', and if there is something they can do to help they should consider it. But, can't private business also help in this area? I know of three MLS owners that should be a part of that conversation... and one owner specifically that has enough money where they would never notice it missing.

Reactions: theaub

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

Is there a big enough window to get natural grass down at The O or Rogers? Seems like bad timing, logistically and weather wise, this late in the game.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I'm going to Panama and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think a group of V's will be there so things should be fine.
I'm sure you'll have a blast. But hopefully we'll have qualified by that game (knock on wood)

My biggest concern is that we know all 4 of these games will be intense and chippy. None of these teams handle losing very well.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm sure you'll have a blast. But hopefully we'll have qualified by that game (knock on wood)

My biggest concern is that we know all 4 of these games will be intense and chippy. None of these teams handle losing very well.
Yeah the hope is I can go to Panama and just have a good time with little stress about the team. Also *knocks on wood*

Reactions: al secord

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I'm going to Panama and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think a group of V's will be there so things should be fine.

Yeah we're going to organize group Costa Rica/Panama trips assuming they'll let people in the stadium with COVID restrictions. Pretty sure Costa Rica is still <5K fans allowed.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah we're going to organize group Costa Rica/Panama trips assuming they'll let people in the stadium with COVID restrictions. Pretty sure Costa Rica is still <5K fans allowed.
I plan to go to the home game and then fly out to Panama for the final game, instead of going to the 2 away games. Love some poor weather footie too much to pass up a late-March game...

That being said if the home game ends up being in Vancouver then it would make more sense to go to the 2 away games.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I plan to go to the home game and then fly out to Panama for the final game, instead of going to the 2 away games. Love some poor weather footie too much to pass up a late-March game...

That being said if the home game ends up being in Vancouver then it would make more sense to go to the 2 away games.

Yeah the trips will be indepdent from each other (ground only, find your own airfare). I doubt anyone wants to miss a possible clinching match at home.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Is there a big enough window to get natural grass down at The O or Rogers? Seems like bad timing, logistically and weather wise, this late in the game.

Good question. I assume for a cost you can make anything happen, and this has been done in the past at both locations so there should be a blueprint. All indications are the team perfers to play outside, making my point moot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad