OT: Canadian/Non-Illinois Hawk Fans

Nothingman*

I hope this thread will get the lurkers to post and participate more. In the GDTs too please :)

HawkinMI

Mar 24, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
My dad grew up in Chicago and my grandpa had a business partnership with the Blackhawks so my dad got to sit in the 200 level seats of Chicago Stadium for super cheap. Saw some great moments: Game 6 of the 1973 Cup Finals, Wayne Gretzky's first NHL game, got attacked by Billy Smith for heckling him too much :laugh: etc.

I didn't really start enjoying sports until I was 13-14, which was around 2007. My dad took me to my first NFL game, which decided my football fandom (Lions). That got me interested in sports in general, but I didn't take a huge liking to hockey until my dad started following the Blackhawks again later that season (he never stopped following hockey, but it was impossible for us to watch the Hawks in Michigan). We went to a game around Christmas at the UC, they were playing the Flyers and won 5-1. I was already somewhat interested, but that game was the selling point.

So unlike some of the posters here I never really went through the tough years.. but you can rest assured if they happen again I'll be right here with you :D I am a Lions fan, after all.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I came on board in 1969 at the ripe old age of 10.
Born and raised in London Ontario I think it was a combination of the Indian Head and Bobby Hull, Stan Makita and Tony O that grabbed my attention.
I just loved the team, the players and the city.
The heartbreak of the '71 final has finally been erased ……. ahhhhhhhhhhh.

ray c

Feb 9, 2010
i'm from ontario,and have been a hawks fan since 1960.There is 6 boys in the family,and we would always be fighting over hockey cards,so my mom made us each pick a team,and those were a cards that we go.That first year i watched chicago win the cup,and have been cheering for them ever since.

Nothingman*

i'm from ontario,and have been a hawks fan since 1960.There is 6 boys in the family,and we would always be fighting over hockey cards,so my mom made us each pick a team,and those were a cards that we go.That first year i watched chicago win the cup,and have been cheering for them ever since.

That is a cool story! It is Interesting the wide age spread.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'm 41, so probably a little older than most. Calgary is my #1 team and always will be. BUT, I don't know what it is . . . Perhaps you reach a certain age and you sort of make a #2 team - a team that you really enjoy following. Chicago for me is just a a joy to watch and follow from a distance because they're just so good, complete as any a team as I've ever seen. It may sound fickle, but the way I see it when you've been following a sport for as long as I have it's ok to have a 1b team. I'm a fan of Chicago because I think there a very special team and this group made me a fan . . . I don't have the same affinity to teams like LA and a few others that have own cups in recent times (though I do have a couple of other teams I enjoy watching because they are exciting).

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Finnish guy here, have lurked for a long time here, finally decided to post here.

Hawks have beenmy team since i got NHL 2004 as a christmas present way back, and i just really liked the logos and jerseys and i have been a fan since then.

Being a Jokerit fan, i was extremely excited back in the 2012 NHL Draft when the hawks picked Teuvo Teräväinen, who has been my favorite player since his rookie season in SM-Liiga in 2011-2012. (Also had Season tickets for 2012-2013 and 2013-2014, so i have seen a lot of games from him)

I haven't watched a lot of Hawks games since they usually come around 12:00AM-3:00 AM around here and i just cannot keep my self awake :laugh: But i have promised myself to start watching more games next season, and hopefully TT can make the team out of camp so i can continue to see more of him, and i hope he can carve out a great career with the Hawks.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Finnish guy here, have lurked for a long time here, finally decided to post here.

Hawks have beenmy team since i got NHL 2004 as a christmas present way back, and i just really liked the logos and jerseys and i have been a fan since then.

Being a Jokerit fan, i was extremely excited back in the 2012 NHL Draft when the hawks picked Teuvo Teräväinen, who has been my favorite player since his rookie season in SM-Liiga in 2011-2012. (Also had Season tickets for 2012-2013 and 2013-2014, so i have seen a lot of games from him)

I haven't watched a lot of Hawks games since they usually come around 12:00AM-3:00 AM around here and i just cannot keep my self awake :laugh: But i have promised myself to start watching more games next season, and hopefully TT can make the team out of camp so i can continue to see more of him, and i hope he can carve out a great career with the Hawks.

That's awesome, welcome! What's your take on Teravainen? Think he can stay at Center?

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
That's awesome, welcome! What's your take on Teravainen? Think he can stay at Center?
I think he can, just needs to get stronger and work on the defensive side of the game a little. Though i prefer him on the wing because he can use his offensive skills to the fullest there, because he needs to be more defensively responsible at center, though he is not a slouch defensively, he always tried to defend as bet as he can, just needs to work a little bit to become better defensively.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
I'm from Ontario, Canada. Been a Hawks fan since 1957 when Hall and Lindsay were traded there and I was still a kid. Because of that my son and grandsons are Hawks fans, too. I started them off by buying them jerseys on the day they were born.

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
From Edmonton, Alberta Canada. My dad was from Chicago and moved up north when he married my mom. Brainwashed me to be a Hawks fan when I was 5 years old (right in the middle of the Oilers dynasty no less). Been a diehard Hawks fan for the last 30 years all the way from those teams of the late 80s that ran into the Oilers, to the hurt of 92 and then the subsequent abyss of the Arnason/Bell/Calder era, and finally the glory of this era of Blackhawk hockey.

BigClemMacdonald

Dec 11, 2011
My grandfather was a Hawks fan, my father is a Hawks fan so I guess I didn't really have a choice haha I think dad would have kicked me out of the house if I tried to cheer for another team.

My mom is a Leafs fan so I used to cheer for them in the Playoffs all those years that the Hawks didn't make it but now it's all Hawks all the time. I have more than 10 jerseys I think now, Red, White, Winter Classic and I interchange them when I play beer league hockey lol

Colonel X

The Kentucky Colonel
Nov 16, 2013
Louisville
I'm down in Louisville, which is not hockey country by any stretch of the imagination. We have no team here, though we have had low level franchises over the years.

I became a Hawks fan back in the early 90's. Amonte, JR, Eddie Belfour, that group. I admit in part it was a fascination with the sweater, a love for all things Jordan also played into it because I recall him at a game on tv at some point. All these things coupled with very little exposure to hockey as a whole put me in line to become a Hawks fan for life.

I've been here ever since and I ain't going nowhere. I've made the pilgrimage to the UC numerous times over the last decade and will continue to do so. As an aside I even went up to the outdoor game this year and totaled my car on the way home that night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad