Canadian International Hockey League

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
Seeing as there a lot of people here following Ontario Junior Hockey, I figured someone must have had some interaction with the CIHL.

Bluntly speaking, is this league going to last or is it going to get swallowed up by all the other Junior leagues in the province?

Website for reference: http://www.cihlhockey.net

Teams have already left the league and formed a new one due to insurance issues.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
So, this new league, has already split to form another new league….? :laugh:

This "league" is a joke. 4 teams have already left, and now, mid-season they've added an independent team from Michigan, and left the AAU in the States, which they had just joined in August. The founder was suspended in the NOJHL before he split. Look up his coach's "record" for some real interesting reading.

Champion39

Apr 2, 2012
Alberta
This "league" is a joke. 4 teams have already left, and now, mid-season they've added an independent team from Michigan, and left the AAU in the States, which they had just joined in August. The founder was suspended in the NOJHL before he split. Look up his coach's "record" for some real interesting reading.

AAU is a joke so them leaving is a plus in my books. Picking up an independent team mid-season, I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Hearing rumours they’re looking to grow to around 20 teams for next season (Very risky, but if that works, then wow)

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
AAU is a joke so them leaving is a plus in my books. Picking up an independent team mid-season, I’m not sure how I feel about that.

Hearing rumours they’re looking to grow to around 20 teams for next season (Very risky, but if that works, then wow)

20 teams? That ought to be some awesome talent! The North is already saturated with the NOJHL established there. The Southern teams left en mass. Where are these teams coming from, Northern Michigan and Wisconsin? I don't believe it. Maybe a merger with the Outlaw League? That's possible. I'm sure someone will drink their Leader's Kool Aid. There's no way any legitimate college program in Canada or the US gives a hoot about anyone or anything going on in this league. The only way up, is out!

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Read a article that now there is some league called the World United Hockey League??? Made up of teams that didn't want to be in the CIHL.

DieHardTheHunter

Oct 20, 2014
Six of the original eight teams in this "Junior A" league have left or folded. It's now a three team league with the addition of an independent American team. The two Canadian teams are owned by the owner of the league. It's barely Midget AAA hockey regardless of what the promoters are saying. The biggest clown, other than the owner Tim Clayden, is Soo promoter Randy Russon who is paid to promote the league on his website, and sugar coat the disaster that this venture has been.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Six of the original eight teams in this "Junior A" league have left or folded. It's now a three team league with the addition of an independent American team. The two Canadian teams are owned by the owner of the league. It's barely Midget AAA hockey regardless of what the promoters are saying. The biggest clown, other than the owner Tim Clayden, is Soo promoter Randy Russon who is paid to promote the league on his website, and sugar coat the disaster that this venture has been.

Not so fast....the league is now TWO teams as Russon now reports that Kalkaska, the independent team from MICHIGAN, has left the league and their coach/owner has been "suspended" in part for allegedly refusing to allow medical assessment of an injured goalie.Getting "suspended" by this league is really a joke.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
suspended

Not so fast....the league is now TWO teams as Russon now reports that Kalkaska, the independent team from MICHIGAN, has left the league and their coach/owner has been "suspended" in part for allegedly refusing to allow medical assessment of an injured goalie.Getting "suspended" by this league is really a joke.

Clayden was suspended from the NOJHL last year...... I believe it was for Comments Detrimental to the league. Starts up his own league which by the way looks an awful lot like the GMHL and now suspends Kristof Oliwa.

The best thing that could happen is for these outlaw leagues to disappear.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Look a little closer. I don't think either player reported as 'called up' ever played a USHL game.

I don't care if they got called up to the NHL, that whole thing was a huge debacle and an embarrassment . The people who cooked up that money making deal should try something else in life.

DieHardTheHunter

Oct 20, 2014

Wow! So this is now a two team league. Clayden owns the league and both teams. Russon is still being paid to promote this disaster and pumping out 3 or 4 weekly promotional articles. Between the two teams and the the league, they now have more staff than players.

And Russon has the gall to continuously criticize Mazzuca and the NOJHL!!! Mazzuca is not Saint but he's done good things for the NOJHL, considering some of the idiot owners he's working with - Cochrane, Sudbury, Mattawa - bullies, thieves and incompetents.

JimmyBeam

Oct 20, 2014
Wow! So this is now a two team league. Clayden owns the league and both teams. Russon is still being paid to promote this disaster and pumping out 3 or 4 weekly promotional articles. Between the two teams and the the league, they now have more staff than players.

And Russon has the gall to continuously criticize Mazzuca and the NOJHL!!! Mazzuca is not Saint but he's done good things for the NOJHL, considering some of the idiot owners he's working with - Cochrane, Sudbury, Mattawa - bullies, thieves and incompetents.

Is your description of the teams listed in order of the attributes you are describing?
Like to know what Sudbury stole?

DieHardTheHunter

Oct 20, 2014
Is your description of the teams listed in order of the attributes you are describing?
Like to know what Sudbury stole?

Not necessarily in order but I guess you don't know much about the Cubs-Northern Wolves-Barons history in Sudbury. Probably all three attributes would be appropriate to that franchise at one time or another... like many Junior outfits. Let's just say that player development has never been at the forefront and nepotism has always been alive and well in Sudbury.

DieHardTheHunter

Oct 20, 2014
I'm predicting an Espanola / Batachawana final.

Now that is funny.

If one reads into Russon's latest promotional message, he is now praising the GMHL. One doesn't have to be a rocket science to figure that the GMHL is where Clayden and Russon are taking their two CIHL teams next year.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
And , now Russon's new big news on this debacle. They've now rented ice and a DRESSING ROOM (BIG news) in Sudbury to add a new team in Sudbury to replace the last one that went under. AND, they're adding "academy" to the name of their league, which they think will apparently do something for them?? YUK.

DieHardTheHunter

Oct 20, 2014
And , now Russon's new big news on this debacle. They've now rented ice and a DRESSING ROOM (BIG news) in Sudbury to add a new team in Sudbury to replace the last one that went under. AND, they're adding "academy" to the name of their league, which they think will apparently do something for them?? YUK.

Which arena?

Academy? And it's going to make a difference? How's Russon gonna spin that one?

Are they dreamers or thick as thieves? Either way, the Barons have trouble drawing 100 fans to their games... not to sure a new Junior Academy team will draw much more.

gameon

Mar 9, 2010
Sorry I don’t agree that the 2 team CIHL league will head to the GMHL. There is no way on this god’s green earth that Clayden will ever give up his power to Russell. None.

I believe Russon stroked the GMHL to either drive business (readers) to his website or he is attempting to lure GMHL teams to advertise on his site. Let’s face it, he’s burned his bridges with the NOJHL and save and except a handful of US and OHL teams, there’s not much else he reports on anymore that garners a huge response from his readers. Of course every so often, he’ll pull the tried and true tactic of bashing the NOJHL and then allowing his internet troll buddies to fan the flames. He's all about his website traffic. I believe he's feeling the affects of putting all his eggs in one CIHL basket and is now attempting to diversify by ingratiating himself to the GMHL.

As for adding “hockey academy†to the league’s name trying to hide from this season's epic fail, it reminds me of an old saying…."it’s like trying to put lipstick on a pig….it’s still a pig"

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario
fans in Sudbury

Could the lack of fans in Sudbury be because home games are Wednesday nights?
With a lot of fans staying away from the Wolves, why won't the Nickle Barons draw better.

The best case scenario for Clayden would be to swallow his pride and rejoin the NOJHL and bring Batchewanna with him or sell the franchise to someone in Espanola and take his circus tent to another town.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00