SIHR Blog Canadian Breakouts vs Soviet Breakouts – Tarasov's Analysis

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In his 1969 book "Hockey of the Future" (Khokkey gryadushchego, second edition 1971), Anatoli Tarasov analyses the typical way that Canadian teams – both amateur and pro teams – break out of their own zone, and he contrasts it with the Soviet approach. While Canadian breakouts (in his terminology: "counterattacks") tended to start with an individual exit from the zone, the Soviet approach was "purely collective", Tarasov says. Here's his breakdown:

Picture 1.jpg

1. The Canadian approach

Tarasov says that the Canadian defenceman (or forward) who wins possession in the defensive end will usually try to exit the zone by himself. He will carry the puck and attempt to move it past the checking player with stickhandling. If the Canadian succeeds, he forces a second checker to approach him, which in turn frees up another Canadian player who may now receive a pass.

Tarasov's criticism: "The counterattack of the Canadians occurs most often as a result of very unhurried, and sometimes, in my opinion, unacceptably prolonged actions of the player who took possession of the puck."

Tarasov thinks that this tactic stems from several specific features of hockey in Canada. One of them is the high level of stickhandling skills on part of all Canadian players, including the defencemen. Another is the active backchecking the Canadian forwards engage in; once the puck is won, the forwards are deep in their own zone and – having vigorously participated in the defence – they are not fully ready to jump into a fast counterattack right away. Consequence for the Canadian who finds himself with the puck: "There are no free pieces in the attack line, there is no-one to pass the puck to."

So the Canadian breakout starts with a player carrying the puck out of the defensive zone individually. Tarasov's assessment: "If the speed of the attack is equal to the speed of the player with the puck, which is exactly what the Canadians get, then this means that any opponent who has speed and speed endurance will always be able to get to the defence in time. (...) I don't think it's good when someone holds the puck for a long time while counterattacking. The essence of the counterattack is a quick, sudden seizure of the initiative and a swift dash to the opposing goal. (...) What kind of a counterattack is this, if we all, with a full squad, manage to return to our zone, get in line, take up positions and meet the opponent fully armed?"

2. The Soviet approach

Whereas the Canadian approach was based on carrying the puck and stickhandling, the Soviet approach was based on passing. The defencemen were obliged to send the puck ahead with what Tarasov calls "longitudinal and diagonal-longitudinal passes" as quickly as possible.

Tarasov: "It's much easier to beat an opponent if you know the art of passing: after all, the puck moves three times faster than the fastest player can skate. (...) The essence of our concept is that every defenceman must immediately, as soon as possible, send the puck ahead, and the forward, astutely catching the moment when our defenceman wins the puck, is called upon to immediately rush to free space at the front lines of attack and offer himself so that the defenceman has several options and can choose the best or most conventient."

Consequences for the game of the forwards: "The counterattack will not be successful and it will lose its meaning if it is initiated by our forwards and the forwards get stuck in the depth of our own zone for a long time. Such a counterattack is doomed: it can only be developed by means of an individual game – by stickhandling or carrying the puck to free space. This contradicts the very idea of a counterattack, which should be sudden and sharp. The pass is the foundation of it today and will remain so in the future. A pass that allows you to quickly enter the neutral zone and to break into the zone of the opponent."

Consequences for the game of the defencemen: "A defenceman who has been messing around with the puck for a long time cannot count on recognition in our hockey. (...) A defenceman who is applauded by the audience for his feints, for skillfully and nimbly stickhandling past several opponents, who carries the puck over a long distance and rushes forward himself instead of giving the puck to the line of attack where the forwards have already jumped out to advantageous positions, such a defenceman, frankly, annoys me."

But what if the forwards don't manage to get free?

Tarasov: "In this case, we should create a numerical advantage somewhere, in this (and only in this!) case we will allow our defenceman to go around the player who is checking him. But our player should not act as the Canadian professionals do in such a situation: carrying the puck and skating away from the opponent."

Picture 2.jpg

A breakout to Tarasov's liking: Defenceman #2 immediately sends a long forward pass ahead for either center #9 (left diagram) or right wing #8 (right diagram).

Posted on Behind the Boards (SIHR Blog)

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. As noted in the post a lot of the differences would stem from what the players are typically reacting to, as in the opposition the Canadians are playing (a more aggressive forecheck generally) and the opposition the Soviets are playing (more conservative, almost trap play). Might have implications for how defencemen developed in the different systems too, though that might be a chicken and egg situation.

Reactions: Dingo

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. As noted in the post a lot of the differences would stem from what the players are typically reacting to, as in the opposition the Canadians are playing (a more aggressive forecheck generally) and the opposition the Soviets are playing (more conservative, almost trap play).

Right. It's additionally noteworthy that when Tarasov wrote his analysis (in 1968, printed in January 1969), international hockey did not yet allow bodychecking in the offensive zone. That only changed in autumn 1969. So the Soviet approach was originally developed under a different set of rules.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
I suppose this would be analogous to the Lakers fast break offense. If I recall correctly, that was a response to the set play systems and having the PG dribble the ball down the court while everyone gets in place. The fast break was developed on the premise of going on offence before the defense could even get set.

I wonder if this was the idea that led to the changes that ked to firewagon hockey in the 80s (combined with the influence of Orr and Park) and the Oilers mastered.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I suppose this would be analogous to the Lakers fast break offense. If I recall correctly, that was a response to the set play systems and having the PG dribble the ball down the court while everyone gets in place. The fast break was developed on the premise of going on offence before the defense could even get set.

I wonder if this was the idea that led to the changes that ked to firewagon hockey in the 80s (combined with the influence of Orr and Park) and the Oilers mastered.
Didn’t the Russell Celtics master the fast break before any other NBA team?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I don't know what period of Lakers basketball you're talking about but if it's the showtime Lakers they didn't really invent anything. Great fast break though. Fast break basketball existed almost as long as basketball has and for most of history innovations came out of NCAA basketball. I do find it interesting that NHL and NBA scoring seem to sort of mirror each other since the 1980s. The NHL is a much more mature league though and didn't quite have the 1970s crater that the NBA went though, even though both had a rival league stealing some talent plus drug issues.

Sort of a different topic but speed has generally been used for offence in all sports, though in the mid 2010s the NHL managed to turn speed into a way to dampen scoring.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Maybe. I have myself never heard it attributed to them.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
I don't know what period of Lakers basketball you're talking about but if it's the showtime Lakers they didn't really invent anything. Great fast break though. Fast break basketball existed almost as long as basketball has and for most of history innovations came out of NCAA basketball. I do find it interesting that NHL and NBA scoring seem to sort of mirror each other since the 1980s. The NHL is a much more mature league though and didn't quite have the 1970s crater that the NBA went though, even though both had a rival league stealing some talent plus drug issues.

Sort of a different topic but speed has generally been used for offence in all sports, though in the mid 2010s the NHL managed to turn speed into a way to dampen scoring.
Re: parallel scoring of NBA and NHL. I noticed the same thing too. Always found that interesting. I guess the Lakers are just associated with the fast break more because of the Showtime Era, much like the Oilers are seen as the origin of firewagon hockey.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Re: parallel scoring of NBA and NHL. I noticed the same thing too. Always found that interesting. I guess the Lakers are just associated with the fast break more because of the Showtime Era, much like the Oilers are seen as the origin of firewagon hockey.
The Lakers are definitely what people think of when it comes to fast break basketball, and that's despite playing plodding Kareem Abdul-Jabbar basketball in the half court a lot of the time. Gretzky's Oilers are also the archetypical all offence team, though obviously there were others before and it is an exaggeration to call them offence only.

The Nash era Suns are the team that I think best exemplifies fast break basketball, both good and bad.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
The Lakers are definitely what people think of when it comes to fast break basketball, and that's despite playing plodding Kareem Abdul-Jabbar basketball in the half court a lot of the time. Gretzky's Oilers are also the archetypical all offence team, though obviously there were others before and it is an exaggeration to call them offence only.

The Nash era Suns are the team that I think best exemplifies fast break basketball, both good and bad.
Well, it won him a couple MVPs, much to Kendrick Perkins consternation. Lol

Good point about the Oilers. People believe they just outscored opponents yet they could shut opponents down just as easily.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well, it won him a couple MVPs, much to Kendrick Perkins consternation. Lol

Good point about the Oilers. People believe they just outscored opponents yet they could shut opponents down just as easily.
I wouldn't have picked Nash for either MVP he won but he at least has a decent case in terms of the literal definition of the award. He was never a contender for the best player in the league.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
I wouldn't have picked Nash for either MVP he won but he at least has a decent case in terms of the literal definition of the award. He was never a contender for the best player in the league.
That's why I've never given much credence to the awards that are voted on.

I'm a Gretzky fan, but him over Mario in '89?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad