Canadian #19 to be held out of circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Nice gesture by Wayne, that's for sure.

The same rule was upheld at the 2004 World Cup. Despite Yzerman's absence, Sakic wore 91, Richards wore 39, Thornton wore 97 and Shane Doan wore 9.

Is that Hudler in your avatar? It's a pretty funny pic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not so sure I agree with this. I know Yzerman was great an all but I'm not sure retiring his number is necessary. Now, they're going to have to do it for anyone who has played for Canada and is better than him.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
go kim johnsson 514 said:
I'm not so sure I agree with this. I know Yzerman was great an all but I'm not sure retiring his number is necessary. Now, they're going to have to do it for anyone who has played for Canada and is better than him.

Ya, and has 3 stanley cups, is one of the top leaders in the game and basically threw out a chance to rehab his surgically repaired knee 2 years ago to help Canada win.... on 1 leg.

if they meet that criteria, then yes i agree, retire them all.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah...as far as International Tournaments go I can't see anyone but Steve Yzerman wearing #19...and I am a Colorado Avalanche fan who hates the Red Wings...but you've got to have respect for the greats, and Stevie Y is one of the greatest of all time, for the time being having someone else wear his number wouldn't be right.

That said I don't think that they'll "retire" his number. I'm sure #19 will be in circulation again...just not for this tourney obviously.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
By my count, the only number to be retired by a national team is #17 for Valeri Kharlamov. If the criteria for retiring numbers is that you have a tragic death, so much so that this is the only time it has happened, then it should probably stay that way.

Jazz

Wow, that would be a big honor....

By my count, the only number to be retired by a national team is #17 for Valeri Kharlamov. If the criteria for retiring numbers is that you have a tragic death, so much so that this is the only time it has happened, then it should probably stay that way.
Well, keep in mind that is up to the individual national federation what the criteria is...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jazz said:
Wow, that would be a big honor....

Well, keep in mind that is up to the individual national federation what the criteria is...

I'm well aware, but I think it should be that way for all national teams.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
Nice gesture by Wayne, that's for sure.

The same rule was upheld at the 2004 World Cup. Despite Yzerman's absence, Sakic wore 91, Richards wore 39, Thornton wore 97 and Shane Doan wore 9.

Is that Hudler in your avatar? It's a pretty funny pic.

I wonder how he got that pic of Hudler?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Joe Sakic doesn't strike me as the type of player to get too upset with a jersey number... he has been 91 for as long as I can remember (internationally) anyways....

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Sakic said even if he had the chance to wear 19 he would pass beacuse 91 is his international number. Plus I have his team Canada jersey. So I kinda like this. :D

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site

this seems so obvious to me as well... not worth it imo

Burnaby_Joe*

Jon Prescription said:
I'd rate Stevie Y a big step above Joe Sakic. And I'm a hue Sakic fan...

Wait until Sakic's career is finished.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland

Finland has retired Jari Kurri's number in national team. Because of that Tomi Kallio has been #71 in recent World Championships.

Latvia has retired Balderis's number I think.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
ES said:
Finland has retired Jari Kurri's number in national team. Because of that Tomi Kallio has been #71 in recent World Championships.

Latvia has retired Balderis's number I think.
#19 is a retired jersey number in NT, youre right.

Last edited:

Oilers1*

So, obviously, #11 is mothballed as well, right? What about 16? or 7 for Espo, Coffey and Bourque. . .the first two meant at least at much internationally as Yzerman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad