Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadPool

Jan 1, 2004
Check the article here :

Iginla/Sakic/Gagne
St-Louis/Lemieux/Richards
Heatley/Thornton/Marleau
Doan/Draper/Maltby (The International Grind Line)

and this line would likely not be dressed next week:
Morrow/LeCavalier/Smyth

Niedermayer/Foote

The defense pairings aren't so sure. TSN says Hannan and Bouwmeester are likely to not be dressed

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
haha, that's so far off from what i predicted. it'll be interesting to see how this turns out

i think lecavalier will work his way into the lineup by the end of the tourny

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I think Lecavalier and Smyth should dress instead of Gagne and Marleau, my forward lines would look like this:

St'Louis - Sakic - Iginla
Lecavalier - Lemieux - Richards
Smyth - Thornton - Heatley
Maltby - Draper - Doan

I would've put a Tampa Bay line of Vinny, Brad, and Louis but I think Louis will work better on the top line with his speed and scoring touch.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Gagne is dressed because he had amazing chemistry with Iggy and Joe at the 2002 Olypmics.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
If Lemieux is 100% healthy(relatively speaking), he will either be the first line wing or center.

SopelFan*

The fact Maltby and Gagne are playing ahead of Lecavalier and Smyth is mind boggling.

Thomas

Jul 10, 2003
Waterloo
2minutes.proboards23.com
SopelFan said:
The fact Maltby and Gagne are playing ahead of Lecavalier and Smyth is mind boggling.

Its mainly because Quinn doesnt want to split up the best line from the 2002 Olympics (Gagne-Sakic-Iginla) nor the best line at the World Championships last year (Maltby-Draper-Doan). I'm sure if their chemistry doesnt stick we will see Smyth and LeCavalier in the line up.

Heater15

Jun 22, 2003
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I like the lines how TSN.ca had them...well the fact that we cant switch some of the players who got chosen over others who should be their, but the fact remains I like how it looks with what we have to work with.

I projected Heatley and Thornton would be paired up and I like it alot. Heatley has an amazing one timer and Thornton is an incredible playmaker. Marleau should be a decent complement to both of them if he isn't his old self...hot one game ice cold the next. That's my worry about him.

The fact we have 3 lines who can score, and probably the best grind line in the tourny is scary. Don't worry about the defense, their's still the best d-man from last year in Niedermayer, one of the toughest the game has in Foote. Redden and Jovo round out the top 4 nicely (alot better than a lot of other countries).

And our goaltending is world class, so for everyone who is getting uptight about the injuries...sure its a set back but RELAX

PapaBear*

I would swap Marleau for Smyth.

Smyth-Thornton-heatley would be good 3rd line.

I think richards-Lemieux-Stlouis has alot of potential.

I would have done the lines like this.

Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Lemieux-Thornton-Heatley
Richards-LeCavalier-StLouis
Smyth/Maltby/Draper/Doan

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I think that Lemieux and St. Louis both HAVE to be together. No questions asked. I think that if those had played a season together in the NHL this year (Mario healthy, of course), St. Louis would have put well over 100 points.

Vic Rattlehead*

Awesome lines! Glad to see our best line still together.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
My only problem with the lines is having Marleau on the Thornton-Heatley line instead of Smyth. I don't really know about the Defensive pairings though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I love the idea of Marleau Thornton Heatley, Smyth is great and gritty but he doesnt have the dominant characteristcs that all three of these players have. They can all skate, dominate physically and have extreme amounts of skill. I just think that line is so imposing physically with such wild talent. It will overwhelm the opposition.

If they want to talk about chemistry why isnt Lecavalier with St louis? Richards playmaking skill set with Sakic and Iginla would be in my opinion perfect. This is the lineup I would skate.

Richards Sakic Iginla
Lemieux Lecavalier St Louis
Marleau Thornton Heatley
Maltby Draper Doan
Morrow Gagne Smyth

I would like to see Smyth or Morrow in over Maltby but I think the chemistry between him and Draper on the pk is something that has to happen.

I hope that Brewer and Bouwmeester are the skratches on defense but I think its painfully obvious that Brewer will most likely be in the top 4 and could be this teams ultimate downfall if they do infact have a weakness.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Birko19 said:
I think Lecavalier and Smyth should dress instead of Gagne and Marleau, my forward lines would look like this:

St'Louis - Sakic - Iginla
Lecavalier - Lemieux - Richards
Smyth - Thornton - Heatley
Maltby - Draper - Doan

I would've put a Tampa Bay line of Vinny, Brad, and Louis but I think Louis will work better on the top line with his speed and scoring touch.

Man, would i love to see that 2nd line. Mario and Lecavlilier would no dobt have chemistry, and Richards is waesome. The line would be dominant.

Sakic and Ignla will play with Gagne, that line worked sooo well in 2002.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Unbelievable. The fact that they cant find room for a guy like Vincent Lecavalier is just going to show you how deep we are. I have no doubt that Viny will get into some games anyways but I must admit I live those line combinations.

The Gagne-Sakic-Iginla line will be great again. How about Mario centering Richards and St. Louis? Mario will have a field day with that one. Then our so called "third" line has Thornton in between Marleau and Heatley. My question is that if you are the opposition which line do you focus on checking? All three centres are dominant offensively and as are the wingers.

I like Marleau on Thornton's left side. His speed will come in handy. And Heatley has never had a centre quite like Thornton so they should be dominant.

And I have to admit that when I first saw the fact that Draper Maltby and Doan were on the team I cringed. Now you have to realize what their role is, which will be very important. Draper and Maltby can skate like the wind. I was worried that having these guys on the team would diminish the offense a bit, but we have three lines that will drop a load in the oppositions pants.

Jovo Cop

If any of those other countries guys are dipsy doodling with their heads down when Doans out there ..ouch its gonna hurt!!!!

El Wama

Aug 7, 2004
Gatineau
Jovo Cop said:
If any of those other countries guys are dipsy doodling with their heads down when Doans out there ..ouch its gonna hurt!!!!
Hell Yeah :yo: Doan may be the most underatted player in that team.. he went to the all-star game and was amazing with a weak offense in Phoenix... He can be clutch and a surprise in the World Cup... I expect a lot from him in next weeks, and with phoenix with a much better offense this year!

Gainey23

Aug 17, 2004
pittengineer said:
If Lemieux is 100% healthy(relatively speaking), he will either be the first line wing or center.

that's preposterous... quit looking at the situation through black and yellow goggles for a moment.

given, he looked decent on that line in '02 with Kariya/Nolan, but that's crazy talk, even then, they were, what, the 2nd line?
sure, it's easy to romanticize Mario being up on the top line but you're talking like it's 1991...

please, at this stage of the game, i'd have him centering the 4th line at best.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Gagné deserves to be there, he proved he can play well with the big boyz at Salt Lake, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." This little quote is the reason why Quinn is the head coach. Screw Vinny, he's a hogger anyway. But to have Maltby instead of Smyth is a little weird.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Gainey23 said:
that's preposterous... quit looking at the situation through black and yellow goggles for a moment.

given, he looked decent on that line in '02 with Kariya/Nolan, but that's crazy talk, even then, they were, what, the 2nd line?
sure, it's easy to romanticize Mario being up on the top line but you're talking like it's 1991...

please, at this stage of the game, i'd have him centering the 4th line at best.

I personally wouldnt having him centering a line at all. He would be on the wing at this stage of his career. 100% healthy Mario is still better than everyone else in this league. Do you get to see 100% healthy mario much anymore at his age? No. But I would take him over anyone if he is healthy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad