WC: Canada vs Czechs semi final!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
David vs Goliath

We have a great spine with our 3C's... Krejci, Hertl and Kampf

I think out goalie is better (not fact but my opinion)

We have nothing to match Chabot.

Pasta is probably better than Barzal.

Everything else from the forwards, d and Canadian winning heritage is on Canada's side.

We are definitely the underdog. Swedes smoked us. So did Finn's.

I am quite excited. Good luck to both.

If we win we end a 10 year medal drought.

If Canada wins they are in their 6th final in 7 years. 'Just a vacation and don't care' my ass!

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
36Logan Thompson2Lukas Dostal
60Chris Driedger50Karel Vejmelka
90Matt Tomkins94Marek Langhamer
2Zach Whiteloud5David Jiricek
5Nick Holden6Michal Kempny
6Travis Sanheim9David Sklenicka
28Damon Severson17Filip Hronek
33Ryan Graves24Jan Scotka
61Dysin Mayo47Michal Jordan
72Thomas Chabot51Radim Simek
84Tomas Kundratek
10Nicolas Roy10Roman Cervenka
13Matt Barzal12Jiri Cernoch
16Morgan Geekie13David Vrana
17Adam Lowry19Jakub Flek
18Dawson Mercer20Hynek Zohorna
19Drake Batherson44Matej Stransky
22Eric O'Dell46David Krejci
24Dylan Cozens48Tomas Hertl
34Cole Sillinger52Michal Spacek
44Max Comtois64David Kämpf
73Noah Gregor67Jiri Smejkal
77Josh Anderson88David Pasternak
80Pierre-Luc Dubois91Dominik Simon
93Kent Johnson95Matej Blümel
HCClaude JulienHCKari Jalonen

On paper it looks much worse than Canada - Sweden. Canada seems to be stronger in almost every aspect. I like goalie situation better, also defence, group of forwards as such and coaching too... if I could see any favor for Czechia it would most probably be the first line. Pastrnak-Krejci-Cervenka is goooood! But Canadian guys Dubois-Barzal- Batherson showed their class in destroying Sweden... So not even that is 100%. Dominik Simon is on the list of players, but in real life he is back home. If anything the Czech team is more even (or balanched) than Sweden, but is it enough? I must say on paper it looks all Canada after all!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It will be interesting if the Czechs score first and then play patiently - capitalizing on Canada's eagerness to even things up.

Reactions: jj cale

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Tough one. After the psychological boost Canada would have received by coming back the way they did, they will be even more confident and even bigger favourites… but I like to be optimistic! Probably won’t do much good though.

Reactions: Czechboy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada is the better team on paper (even in Europe on the big ice) and I'm not sure it's close. Having said that, as others have said, if the Czechs can do what the U.S. did today (get an early lead, collapse in front of the net and get strong goaltending), they can certainly win - we've lost to lesser teams.

If this was a best of 7, Canada wins in (4 or) 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Canada has more depth throughout their roster but Czechia has the best player of the two in Pastrnak. Krejci is also still a world class player. Hertl and Vrana are sleepers. There's not much offensive support in Czechia defense. Hronek hasn't been producing as leader of the defense should but neither has Chabot. Both can have shaky goaltending on a bad day.

I'd say Canada to go through to the final 65%-35%.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Like today, I think Canada will likely have to score at least 4 goals to win it. Pasta, etc are gonna get their looks and bury some on our goalie IMO.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I worry about the big ice. When shots aren't going in, it seems like the net is a mile from the blue line and players can't get to the net. Needless to say, I'd feel more comfortable on NHL ice.

Having said all that, it's just the World Championship - which is my 2nd least favourite tournament.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
36Logan Thompson2Lukas Dostal
60Chris Driedger50Karel Vejmelka
90Matt Tomkins94Marek Langhamer
2Zach Whiteloud5David Jiricek
5Nick Holden6Michal Kempny
6Travis Sanheim9David Sklenicka
28Damon Severson17Filip Hronek
33Ryan Graves24Jan Scotka
61Dysin Mayo47Michal Jordan
72Thomas Chabot51Radim Simek
84Tomas Kundratek
10Nicolas Roy10Roman Cervenka
13Matt Barzal12Jiri Cernoch
16Morgan Geekie13David Vrana
17Adam Lowry19Jakub Flek
18Dawson Mercer20Hynek Zohorna
19Drake Batherson44Matej Stransky
22Eric O'Dell46David Krejci
24Dylan Cozens48Tomas Hertl
34Cole Sillinger52Michal Spacek
44Max Comtois64David Kämpf
73Noah Gregor67Jiri Smejkal
77Josh Anderson88David Pasternak
80Pierre-Luc Dubois91Dominik Simon
93Kent Johnson95Matej Blümel
HCClaude JulienHCKari Jalonen

On paper it looks much worse than Canada - Sweden. Canada seems to be stronger in almost every aspect. I like goalie situation better, also defence, group of forwards as such and coaching too... if I could see any favor for Czechia it would most probably be the first line. Pastrnak-Krejci-Cervenka is goooood! But Canadian guys Dubois-Barzal- Batherson showed their class in destroying Sweden... So not even that is 100%. Dominik Simon is on the list of players, but in real life he is back home. If anything the Czech team is more even (or balanched) than Sweden, but is it enough? I must say on paper it looks all Canada after all!
Why do you like goalie situation better?

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
I hope Canada wins 6-3. It won't be a blow out, but expect Canada to net two en goals. Canada needs to trap thier way past this team. Drake with 3 points.

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
Why do you like goalie situation better?
90% sure in this game the starters will be Driedger and Vejmelka. I guess the season in NHL has been creating my belief that Driedger is a bit more solid. Specially his last season in Florida, not this one in Seattle gave me that feeling. Though Vejmelka had some really good games in Arizona, there were also some medicore ones too. From Thompson I remember in this Worlds this highlites featuring desperate football save. I actually like Dostal, but doubt he will get a chance. Maybe 3 goalies together I'd even prefer Czechs, but it is one game and one against one I believe in Driedger.

Reactions: Czechboy

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I feel like OT win for the Czech team on this one.

Canada shouldn't let Czech on the PP or it will be trouble. Kari Jalonen seemed to play Pastrnak+Krejci+Cervenka pretty much for full 2 mins per a PP. At least it seemed that way. Kind of smart thing to do. Similar to the way that Sweden won U18 gold with, with just one PP unit basically.

Canada's chances to win will increase by a lot if they can stay out of the penalty box. Czech hasn't been super dangerous on even strength so far.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
90% sure in this game the starters will be Driedger and Vejmelka. I guess the season in NHL has been creating my belief that Driedger is a bit more solid. Specially his last season in Florida, not this one in Seattle gave me that feeling. Though Vejmelka had some really good games in Arizona, there were also some medicore ones too. From Thompson I remember in this Worlds this highlites featuring desperate football save. I actually like Dostal, but doubt he will get a chance. Maybe 3 goalies together I'd even prefer Czechs, but it is one game and one against one I believe in Driedger.
I took a quick look at Vej vs Driedger... he played more NHL games, had the same save percentage almost (.898 vs .899) and his save percentage here is higher (driedger is sub .900 here too).

At best, I'd call that a tie going into the game.

I've been joking all tournament that playing for Arizona uniquely qualifies you to play in front of the Czech D.loln

Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad